British PM May resigns, paving way for Brexit confrontation with EU

Jonathan Fairfield

15 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

<SNIP>

Our UK armed forces will be free of EU command structures and directed by UK needs

Many assumptions so 'snipped'. However...

When decisions are made at EU level – on whether or not to deploy troops, for example – they require unanimity among member state representatives. Any member state can veto a decision. It has always been the choice of the UK Government whether or not to deploy British troops. Brexit will not change that in any way.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/uk–eu-defence-and-security-cooperation

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I had a self imposed months exile from these threads and I can see little has changed.

Many remainers still calling brexiteers stupid.

People still trying to discredit Nigel Farage. How stupid they are as many on here were saying he and his Brexit party was a non starter. Seems like the way they judge the UK's anger towards the EU and wanting to leave the EU, they have it wrong... again.

Same with Boris Johnson.

Junker only then other day stating it shows how difficult it is now to leave the EU. What a great club to be in!!!!!

"Many remainers still calling brexiteers stupid."

In your next breath:

"People still trying to discredit Nigel Farage. How stupid they are as many on here were saying he and his Brexit party was a non starter."

12 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Agreed. The Tories have now become the looney Tories and labour under Corbyn have remained looney labour had an opportunity to appeal to the majority by ditching Corbyn and supporting a second referendum. So far they have not taken that opportunity so the Brexit nutcases are running around like lemmings following Farage. No wonder the UK is now the laughing stock of the world .

Nobody wants a second referendum, and hope all the fasciats demanding one will keep stum after tomorrow when the EU election results are announced. That should be the end of it and let's get on and do what the public have voted for twice already....or do remoaners want a best of Five..

10 hours ago, fishtank said:

Was he? Best PM we had in years.

Saw Blair's biography in a second hand book shop at home. Strangely on the top shelf in the gardening section, when I asked why it was there the owner said he had to put it there out of reach because customers kept sticking it in the horror section. I said I was tempted to buy and burn it, he agreed that would be a good idea. Blair is probably the most hated man in the UK.

Totally agree but as  I have said for a few years she was a remainer, didn't believe in Brexit and did a great job for the EU. You could speculate that she was an EU plant.

You can have as many wild speculations as you like.

But do you have any substance for your wild speculations?

3 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Nobody wants a second referendum, and hope all the fasciats demanding one will keep stum after tomorrow when the EU election results are announced. That should be the end of it and let's get on and do what the public have voted for twice already....or do remoaners want a best of Five..

Branding Remainders as fascists is ridiculous. Pray tell how does a vote for Brexit Party actually change the outcome of Brexit?

https://www.politico.eu/article/why-the-uk-european-election-is-not-proxy-brexit-referendum-nigel-farage/

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Saw Blair's biography in a second hand book shop at home. Strangely on the top shelf in the gardening section, when I asked why it was there the owner said he had to put it there out of reach because customers kept sticking it in the horror section. I said I was tempted to buy and burn it, he agreed that would be a good idea. Blair is probably the most hated man in the UK.

On the cusp of burning books already.

I have to say that is absolute rubbish. So wanting to stay in the EU makes you a racist bigot? Of course not as leaving the EU doesn't. Typical name calling from children not liking other peoples opinions. Isn't that racist bigotry. How ironic.

1 hour ago, adammike said:

It's called a piss take.

But it isn't.

You can't throw accusations about how a group of people are "racist bigots", and then later explain that it was a joke. The damage has already been done.

If you describe every person who voted Leave as a "racist bigot", you yourself are a bigot, who deserves to be excluded from any further discussions.

That same old rhetoric from the city analysis that we have been hearing for 3 years. Talk about cry wolf. Even those who have an intellect realise they along with mark carney and the IMF have been talking rollocks for years and they are the mouthpiece of the EU, wanting more integration and control.

The EU make me laugh complaining about populism. Yes people who are following popular policies. Democracy in action. What is the opposite of that Fascism the EU way.

Except you don't seem to understand what 'Populism' is or the part it played in the emergence of real the fascism of 1930s Germany, Italy and Spain.

3 minutes ago, nkg said:

But it isn't.

You can't throw accusations about how a group of people are "racist bigots", and then later explain that it was a joke. The damage has already been done.

If you describe every person who voted Leave as a "racist bigot", you yourself are a bigot, who deserves to be excluded from any further discussions.

You have a bit of a problem with your argument. 

He did not call every person who voted Leave a 'racist bigot'. What he actually said was:

1 hour ago, adammike said:

Not all the British people who want to leave the EU are racist bigots but all the racist bigots want to leave the EU.

That's a very long way from calling all Brexit supporters 'racist bigots'.

14 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Seems like the record has stuck again.  Tell me, do Brexiteers have access to a "one for all" Farage song sheet somewhere in the "Dark web"  ? ????????????

55 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

Which bit? all looks great to me

Instantly a great sovereign nation again - World’s 5th largest economy

Control of borders – no more freedom of movement into UK, wages will rise

Laws made in Parliament again, by elected MPs, in British interests – not imposed

Money

No more multi-billion annual payments to subsidise EU countries

No £40bn+ divorce payment – Money saved can be spent in the UK

Food and clothing imports without punitive EU tariffs – everyday costs will be slashed

VAT cut on many products, putting pounds in people’s pockets, boosting the economy

And more

Able to trade freely and fairly with the fastest-growing countries around the world

Northern Ireland – No hard border is needed and none of the parties want one

Our farms and waters will be under UK control again, our fishing fleet can rebuild

Our UK armed forces will be free of EU command structures and directed by UK needs

The UK is already a great sovereign nation.

The UK already has control over its own borders.

Laws made in Parliament again, by elected MPs, in British interests – not imposed

There is no imposition of laws on the UK, all laws applied in the UK are passed by Parliament. 

Money

No more access to the largest integrated developed market in the world.

The divorce payment will be paid by the UK.

Food and clothing imports without punitive EU tariffs – everyday costs will be slashed

Goodbye UK farming, hello cheap T-shirts.

VAT cut on many products, putting pounds in people’s pockets, boosting the economy

(?)

But since you mention taxes:

UK not subject to EU laws against tax evasion.

UK not a participant in the Common Consolidated Tax Basis 

Result, the hyper wealthy and international corporations will be able to continue making tax free profits in the UK, stripping  £billions out of the UK economy.

And more

Able to trade freely and fairly with the fastest-growing countries around the world

The UK already does this. 

There is already no hard border across Ireland. 

Our farms and waters will be under UK control again, our fishing fleet can rebuild

The UK's farms and waters are not under EU control. The majority of 'UK fishing rights' have been sold by private UK companies/families, they are property the ownership of which was transferred under British law and is held under British law. The UK fishing fleet can't fish for somebody else's privately owned fishing quotas. 

The UK armed forces are free of EU command structures and are directed by the UK Government. 

Unfortunately too often to meet the needs of the USA. 

2 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

Well, the elections yesterday were pretty much another leave vote. As much as the Conservatives won't like it I think to give Farage some kind of role in the Brexit would not be bad politics. 

Farage had seven failed attempts to get elected to Parliament. 

Let's just leave it at that. 

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You have a bit of a problem with your argument. 

He did not call every person who voted Leave a 'racist bigot'. What he actually said was:

That's a very long way from calling all Brexit supporters 'racist bigots'.

Another poster in this thread states:

Hopefully article 50 will be revoked for the sake of the country and everyone in it.

We are not all racist bigots.

They made another even more explicit post, which apparently has now been deleted.

Look, I'm not concerned about arguing semantics, or trying to "win an argument".

A lot of Leave supporters feel unhappy that they are being branded as "racists" by Remain supporters with extreme views. I think that it's a valid concern.

I would like to see Remainers and Leavers having a constructive debate. The Brexit Referendum has torn Britain in two, and the last thing that we need are two sides slinging insults at each other. If we can dismiss the concept of "Brexit voters are racist", it would be to the benefit of everybody.

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Farage had seven failed attempts to get elected to Parliament. 

Let's just leave it at that. 

Yes, I get that for sure. I did say a "role" as an elected MEP. You can be as flexible as you see fit. But right now he is pretty popular amongst a section of voters.   

1 minute ago, nkg said:

Another poster in this thread states:

They made another even more explicit post, which apparently has now been deleted.

Look, I'm not concerned about arguing semantics, or trying to "win an argument".

A lot of Leave supporters feel unhappy that they are being branded as "racists" by Remain supporters with extreme views. I think that it's a valid concern.

I would like to see Remainers and Leavers having a constructive debate. The Brexit Referendum has torn Britain in two, and the last thing that we need are two sides slinging insults at each other. If we can dismiss the concept of "Brexit voters are racist", it would be to the benefit of everybody.

I'll take your protestations more seriously when I see evidence of more Brexit supporters challenging racism and bigotry on this forum and elsewhere. 

To date DD is the only Brexit supporter I have seen who does challenge racism and bigotry on this forum.

----

Incidentally your 'I'm impartial and not a Brexiteer' mask is slipping. 

23 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Seems like the record has stuck again.  Tell me, do Brexiteers have access to a "one for all" Farage song sheet somewhere in the "Dark web"  ? ????????????

Remainers just cant accept the fact the majority want to leave and the actions and comments made by these fascists over the past three years is tiresome. Move on, accept it. Done, finished, respect democracy.

1 hour ago, bartender100 said:

Which bit? all looks great to me

Money

And more

Lies, lies and more lies................

39 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Branding Remainders as fascists is ridiculous. Pray tell how does a vote for Brexit Party actually change the outcome of Brexit?

https://www.politico.eu/article/why-the-uk-european-election-is-not-proxy-brexit-referendum-nigel-farage/

Branding leavers as fascists, bigots and racists is ridiculous, remainers however do not respect democracy and, throw milkshakes at those that dont toe their line...that's to a kin of something that happened 80 years ago somewhere in Europe, and we all know the outcome of that dont we....so fascism seems to go hand in hand with the way remoaners are acting.

19 minutes ago, nkg said:

I would like to see Remainers and Leavers having a constructive debate. The Brexit Referendum has torn Britain in two, and the last thing that we need are two sides slinging insults at each other.

I couldn't agree more. For a start it would be nice to see the back of those bloody memes. Posters should express their own sentiments in their own words, not by copying and pasting whatever the mothership's current talking point is.

Just now, baansgr said:

Branding leavers as fascists, bigots and racists is ridiculous, remainers however do not respect democracy and, throw milkshakes at those that dont toe their line...that's to a kin of something that happened 80 years ago somewhere in Europe, and we all know the outcome of that dont we....so fascism seems to go hand in hand with the way remoaners are acting.

I'm a 'Remainer' I accept the result of the referendum (Leave won), and I standby my democratic right to peacefully oppose, demonstrate against and lobby for Brexit to be binned. 

In the three tragic occurrences of 'Fascism' Germany, Italy and Spain, the fascists gained power by means of populism and the winning elections, then declared those who opposed them and their election victory 'enemies of the people' and 'traitors'. 

Democracy did not come to a shuddering halt on the morning of the referendum result. 

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I'll take your protestations more seriously when I see evidence of more Brexit supporters challenging racism and bigotry on this forum and elsewhere. 

To date DD is the only Brexit supporter I have seen who does challenge racism and bigotry on this forum.

----

Incidentally your 'I'm impartial and not a Brexiteer' mask is slipping. 

Did you miss the entire last paragraph of my last post?

How does this show that I am wearing a "Brexiteer mask"?

1 minute ago, nkg said:

Did you miss the entire last paragraph of my last post?

How does this show that I am wearing a "Brexiteer mask"?

No I did not miss the entire last paragraph of your post. It seems to make sense until you start banging on about Brexit supporters being branded racists. 

Apart from the fact some are, you fail to address slurs thrown at Remainers by Brexit supporters. 

I did not accuse you of wearing a 'Brexit mask' I pointed out that your mask of impartiality is slipping. Refer above. You are clearly not an impartial commentator, so please skip the shabby pretence. 

Sadly there is no one competent in the upper ranks of the Tory party. May's governments have been the most incompetent in living memory....BJ, serial incompetent and capable of doing damage to the UK unlike anyone else on the list; Grayling, serial incompetent; Hunt, serial incompetent; Nicki Morgan, serial incompetent; Leadsom, dumb as a box of hammers and serially incompetent.....the list goes on and on.

My personal choice would be Baroness Warsi, yes, remember her...a really decent woman who was actually good at her job, generally told the truthiness, and who has a oral compass. 

3 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Sadly there is no one competent in the upper ranks of the Tory party. May's governments have been the most incompetent in living memory....BJ, serial incompetent and capable of doing damage to the UK unlike anyone else on the list; Grayling, serial incompetent; Hunt, serial incompetent; Nicki Morgan, serial incompetent; Leadsom, dumb as a box of hammers and serially incompetent.....the list goes on and on.

My personal choice would be Baroness Warsi, yes, remember her...a really decent woman who was actually good at her job, generally told the truthiness, and who has a oral compass. 

I think a General Election would be a better plan.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No I did not miss the entire last paragraph of your post. It seems to make sense until you start banging on about Brexit supporters being branded racists. 

Apart from the fact some are, you fail to address slurs thrown at Remainers by Brexit supporters. 

I did not accuse you of wearing a 'Brexit mask' I pointed out that your mask of impartiality is slipping. Refer above. You are clearly not an impartial commentator, so please skip the shabby pretence. 

Have a look at my post history. You will see that I haven't made any political posts here at all until 2 days ago. In the last 2 days, I have repeatedly mentioned the need for Remain and Leave to put aside their differences and discuss how we can heal the rift that the ill-advised Brexit Referendum created.

I generally enjoy your posts, and find them informative. I don't see why you feel the need to accuse me of having a "shabby pretence" about my views.

1 hour ago, geoffbezoz said:

Not a farage "song sheet", but the best example is probably 

Great song and v. funny!

1 minute ago, nkg said:

Have a look at my post history. You will see that I haven't made any political posts here at all until 2 days ago. In the last 2 days, I have repeatedly mentioned the need for Remain and Leave to put aside their differences and discuss how we can heal the rift that the ill-advised Brexit Referendum created.

I generally enjoy your posts, and find them informative. I don't see why you feel the need to accuse me of having a "shabby pretence" about my views.

Forgive me, I have not accused you of having a shabby pretence about your views. I have said your pretence of impartiality is shabby. 

Your comments regarding how better to have a civil conversation are very welcome, but you undermine the point when you only criticise slurs made by Remain supporters. 

There are dozens of slurs thrown around in these discussions, in my opinion accusing someone of being a traitor or treacherous is the worst. 

But there are also far too many instances of racism, bigotry, xenophobia and Islamophobia, these need to be called out. 

I look forward to your support in doing so. 

Archived