British PM May resigns, paving way for Brexit confrontation with EU

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I think a General Election would be a better plan.

Be carefull what you wish for, a recent poll have put the Brexit party just one point behind Labour, but since the poll was conducted the Brexit party has gained further ground. The Conservatives are polling at third place whilst the blocks to democracy party are number four. Poor old ChUK party are polling last with UKIP.

Screenshot_2019-05-25-09-36-05-599.jpeg

16 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

In Boris Johnson's book the dream of Rome written a few years back he waxes lyrical about what a great institution the EU is and compares it to the Roman Empire. At the end he even writes about how Turkey should be allowed to join the EU club, even though only a small percentage of it is in Europe and it would open the door to more of his forbears - unstoppable Muslims immigrants. He now claims he's changed his mind, I for one don't believe he is any more serious about Brexit than the disaster PM who thank god only has two weeks left, she failed and he will probably fail as well, intentionally.

I read Boris Johnson's book too, although it was some time ago, and I no longer have a copy to refer to. I remember that, inevitably, he drew parallels between ancient Rome and the EU, but I don't remember it being the eulogy which you suggest!

However, if that is the case (you describe) remember that it is one of the central planks of the remain camps demands for a second referendum that people, and society, have a perfect right to change their minds.

Someone needs to teach copywriter that there is a big difference between "May resigns" & story stating "she will resign".

Similar to "She pays me back" v "She says she will pay me back".

One you can take to the bank.

2 minutes ago, JAG said:

I read Boris Johnson's book too, although it was some time ago, and I no longer have a copy to refer to. I remember that, inevitably, he drew parallels between ancient Rome and the EU, but I don't remember it being the eulogy which you suggest!

However, if that is the case (you describe) remember that it is one of the central planks of the remain camps demands for a second referendum that people, and society, have a perfect right to change their minds.

From Wiki:

The Dream Of Rome is a book by Boris Johnson, in which he discusses how the Roman Empire achieved political and cultural unity in Europe, and compares it to the failure of the European Union to do the same.

15 hours ago, fishtank said:

Boris Johnson? Do we really need a serial liar as PM?

Well, he wouldn't be the first: Harold Wilson, Ted Heath, Tony Blair, Gordon Brown to name a few in living memory!

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I had a self imposed months exile from these threads and I can see little has changed.

Many remainers still calling brexiteers stupid.

People still trying to discredit Nigel Farage. How stupid they are as many on here were saying he and his Brexit party was a non starter. Seems like the way they judge the UK's anger towards the EU and wanting to leave the EU, they have it wrong... again.

Same with Boris Johnson.

Junker only then other day stating it shows how difficult it is now to leave the EU. What a great club to be in!!!!!

You U.K. can leave at any moment if you're politicians just agree amongst each other … which is the problem ! But it is more easy to blame the E.U. for your own created politic mess isn't ? pathetic..:coffee1:

1 minute ago, david555 said:

You U.K. can leave at any moment if you're politicians just agree amongst each other  which is the problem ! But it is more easy to blame the E.U. for your own created politic mess isn't ? pathetic..:coffee1:

If wishes were fishes the world would be an ocean...

And it is only a few headbangers who are blaming the EU for our self created political mess. Stop tarring swathes of people with the same brush, it isn't helpful.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Farage had seven failed attempts to get elected to Parliament. 

Let's just leave it at that. 

but a cat has 9 lives …., but also...a cat likes milk :cheesy:

12 minutes ago, nauseus said:

From Wiki:

The Dream Of Rome is a book by Boris Johnson, in which he discusses how the Roman Empire achieved political and cultural unity in Europe, and compares it to the failure of the European Union to do the same.

The problem with book reviews if they are too short they can't present a meaningful review of the book and if too long you might as well have read the book.

The one sentence review by Wikipedia is an example of the former. 

I've read Johnson's book 'The Dream of Rome' which I enjoyed immensely. Classical Roman literature is a passion of mine, and its difficult to read the literature of the age without engaging the political writings, biographies of the political leaders and the many writings on Roman society, culture, administration and of course the Roman military. 

Reading 'The Dream of Rome' I was very impressed with the breadth of Johnson's knowledge of classical Roman history and politics, but I certainly did not agree with many of the comparisons he made, nor did I understand the book as a criticism of the EU, it read, to me, more like an insight into what the EU might positively become. 

I do encourage you to read the book. It is, if nothing else, well written and often amusing. 

12 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Only a hard-core right-wing rump in parliament and in the Conservative Party favour a no deal Brexit. It won't happen.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Perhaps we should wait until the results of the European Election (in the UK) before we go firm on that position?

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You can have as many wild speculations as you like.

But do you have any substance for your wild speculations?

Nothing speculative about 33 of her ministers resigning due to Brexit, 12 of which were in her Cabinet....added to that bringing back the same crap deal/withdrawal agreement 3 times......speculation my arrsse.

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Forgive me, I have not accused you of having a shabby pretence about your views. I have said your pretence of impartiality is shabby. 

Your comments regarding how better to have a civil conversation are very welcome, but you undermine the point when you only criticise slurs made by Remain supporters. 

There are dozens of slurs thrown around in these discussions, in my opinion accusing someone of being a traitor or treacherous is the worst. 

But there are also far too many instances of racism, bigotry, xenophobia and Islamophobia, these need to be called out. 

I look forward to your support in doing so. 

It's OK nk.

On here, the slur slinging is invariably initiated by remainers and the main references to racism, bigotry, xenophobia etc are generally the regular and false accusations made by remainers against leavers. If you read back through the Brexit threads on TV you can see this for yourself. 

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

It's OK nk.

On here, the slur slinging is invariably initiated by remainers and the main references to racism, bigotry, xenophobia etc are generally the regular and false accusations made by remainers against leavers. If you read back through the Brexit threads on TV you can see this for yourself. 

Unfortunately if you do that you won't find the many examples of racism, bigotry, xenophobia and Islamophobia being protested as they are very rightly removed. 

You will occasionally see 'Racist (etc) post remove' and I for one would like to see more such comments to at least register what is being removed and why.

If you can find me examples of Brexit supporters challenging racism, bigotry, xenophobia or Islamophobia, please do point them out. 

12 hours ago, fishtank said:

Hopefully article 50 will be revoked for the sake of the country and everyone in it.

We are not all racist bigots.

Nor supporters of basic democratic principles it appears: a simple (binary question) referendum, a General Election, followed by an Act of Parliament passed with an overwhelming majority. They all said leave.

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Forgive me, I have not accused you of having a shabby pretence about your views. I have said your pretence of impartiality is shabby. 

Your comments regarding how better to have a civil conversation are very welcome, but you undermine the point when you only criticise slurs made by Remain supporters. 

There are dozens of slurs thrown around in these discussions, in my opinion accusing someone of being a traitor or treacherous is the worst. 

But there are also far too many instances of racism, bigotry, xenophobia and Islamophobia, these need to be called out. 

I look forward to your support in doing so. 

I see, you are making a reference to my conversation with another forum member. I wanted to make the point that Remain supporters generally hold themselves to a high moral standard (asylum, immigration, human rights), and I would expect them to attempt fair and rational discourse within the scenario of a Remain/Leave debate (being pleasant, open-minded and logical).

Of course, I abhor needless aggression and personal attacks, whether they come from a Leave or Remain supporter.

14 minutes ago, nauseus said:

It's OK nk.

You seem to have missed his post calling for a constructive debate and for BOTH sides to stop insulting each other. Slur slinging is invariably initiated by radicals on BOTH sides.

And yes, reading back through previous Brexit threads is a very good idea.

11 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Probably not a good idea for you to be his agent.

I don’t have the ambition to be his agent. I was simply stating what I think could be a likely way out of the impasse for someone like BJ. I am not alone with that opinion:

(...) a research paper from the Institute of Government is doing the rounds, arguing that MPs no longer have any clear mechanism to stop a no-deal exit; the devices they had before have fallen away. If a prime minister wants to crash out, perhaps by simply running out the clock and waiting for the EU extension to expire on 31 October, it would be a “near-impossible task” for MPs to stop them.

2 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I don’t have the ambition to be his agent. I was simply stating what I think could be a likely way out of the impasse for someone like BJ. I am not alone with that opinion:

(...) a research paper from the Institute of Government is doing the rounds, arguing that MPs no longer have any clear mechanism to stop a no-deal exit; the devices they had before have fallen away. If a prime minister wants to crash out, perhaps by simply running out the clock and waiting for the EU extension to expire on 31 October, it would be a “near-impossible task” for MPs to stop them.

And that last quote is winning more veto's ...and only 1 is even enough 2 where there already , but avoided by a last consensus of goodwill 

6 minutes ago, david555 said:

And that last quote is winning more veto's ...and only 1 is even enough 2 where there already , but avoided by a last consensus of goodwill 

I think what is being said is that there is no way for MPs to veto it should someone like BJ just run down the clock. Not that I would care a lot if the UK decided to wrack their country; just saying...

Certainly not all Brexiteers are racist bigots. But as Will Self succinctly put it, I doubt there were any racist bigots who voted Remain.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

No but lots of idiots,i have nothing against Europe,its the traitors in Brussels i cant stand ,snout in troughers that are destroying Europe .

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I think what is being said is that there is no way for MPs to veto it should someone like BJ just run down the clock. Not that I would care a lot if the UK decided to wrack their country; just saying...

Would even be better, so can wash our hands in innocence ,and not blaming E.U. once more for all things happened 

Just now, david555 said:

Would even be better, so can wash our hands in innocence ,and not blaming E.U. once more for all things happened 

Those who are blaming the EU now will continue to blame it come what may. They are hardly going to blame themselves when the future they promise turns out less than rosy.

38 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Unfortunately if you do that you won't find the many examples of racism, bigotry, xenophobia and Islamophobia being protested as they are very rightly removed. 

You will occasionally see 'Racist (etc) post remove' and I for one would like to see more such comments to at least register what is being removed and why.

If you can find me examples of Brexit supporters challenging racism, bigotry, xenophobia or Islamophobia, please do point them out. 

How do you know that and how would you who posted them? The racist (etc) slurs that remainers seem to automatically label anyone that supports leaving the EU with have been frequent and wrong - that is my complaint.   

Total chaos reigns in the worst UK government of my lifetime. 

And don't expect things to get better any time soon especially when you look at the contenders for PM.

Makes me shudder at the thought. 

58 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

There is a contra-view that it would be unlikely a new PM would find support for a no-deal as it could result in the government facing off with parliament with no winner, and would be unconstitutional. 

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/could-parliament-stop-the-next-prime-minister-pursuing-a-no-deal-exit/

I doubt whether any new PM would risk breaking up the Union if a no-deal occurred. 

Also, if BJ was voted in as the new PM, I'm sure Scotland would hold a referendum to leave the UK, and maybe that would be followed by NI. 

Archived