British PM May resigns, paving way for Brexit confrontation with EU

Jonathan Fairfield

19 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

There is a contra-view that it would be unlikely a new PM would find support for a no-deal as it could result in the government facing off with parliament with no winner, and would be unconstitutional. 

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/could-parliament-stop-the-next-prime-minister-pursuing-a-no-deal-exit/

I doubt whether any new PM would risk breaking up the Union if a no-deal occurred. 

Also, if BJ was voted in as the new PM, I'm sure Scotland would hold a referendum to leave the UK, and maybe that would be followed by NI. 

It is Chrystal clear as Himalaya water , but still they like to play "who go blink first " game as before with the E.U. negotiations ,they need to compromise even when they hate it :tongue:

May gone , but situation stay same ,stalemate & breaking up  the Union danger 

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, nkg said:

Did you miss the entire last paragraph of my last post?

How does this show that I am wearing a "Brexiteer mask"?

It was a sensible, intelligent post. You didn’t brand the other side a bunch of racist, stupid bigots. Based on that, I also concluded you were a Brexiteer.

Confrontation with the eu is exactly what is needed IMO, and should have been done 3 years ago!

Instead, our politicians preferred to look towards their own financial interests - and so agreed to the eu's agenda.

We can all see the result ☹️.

1 hour ago, JAG said:

Nor supporters of basic democratic principles it appears: a simple (binary question) referendum, a General Election, followed by an Act of Parliament passed with an overwhelming majority. They all said leave.

Built on lies. The biggest proved liar is Boris. He is one of the most evil boys in UK. 

It's a shame that UK will not have any qualfied successor of TM. 

The laughing stock will not end! 

i'm hoping Sir Graham Brady enters the PM race. I would like to think he has the stature and experience to command respect by the EU, the UK, and his fellow MPs. Now would be the right time for a person of his gravitus to succeed. 

IMO, also miles ahead of Johnson in moral compass.  

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Confrontation with the eu is exactly what is needed IMO, and should have been done 3 years ago!

Instead, our politicians preferred to look towards their own financial interests - and so agreed to the eu's agenda.

That's nonsense. 

The Brexit is the result of negotiation between 2 parties. 

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

We all know the result ☹️.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/24/eu-leaders-stress-respect-for-may-and-refusal-to-renegotiate-brexit-deal

EU leaders stick to Brexit guns as they prepare for 'different breed' of PM

Fears of no deal grow, but bloc united in saying it won’t budge on withdrawal agreement

EU leaders are preparing for a “different breed” of Brexiter to replace Theresa May as Britain’s prime minister, but warned that nothing had changed in Brussels.

The French president, Emmanuel Macron, called for urgent clarity from London shortly after May’s Downing Street statement.

“It is too early to speculate on the consequences of this decision,” the Élysée Palace said in a statement. “The principles of the European Union will continue to apply, including the priority to preserve the smooth functioning of the EU, which requires a quick clarification.

2 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Built on lies. The biggest proved liar is Boris. He is one of the most evil boys in UK. 

It's a shame that UK will not have any qualfied successor of TM. 

The laughing stock will not end! 

Pure hyperbole, like the rest of us you don't have a clue where this will end up, but remember he who laughs last, laughs the longest.

15 hours ago, baboon said:

Don't you think he will get the gig, then? If not, who is your money on?

I usually give candidates the Arthur Daley test and the question would be

Would I buy a used car from this person?

Looking at the 4 main contenders the only one who barely passes the test is Esther McVey. 

I would only put 50 baht on her and bugger the rest.

Rory Stewart looks like Alfred E Neuman.

Jeremy Hunt looks as though he has seen a ghost.

Boris Johnson reminds me of the old song by Pete Seeger called Turn Turn Turn. 

To everything turn, turn, turn
There is a season turn, turn, turn
And a time to every purpose
Under heaven

And he has turned at least one too many times. I think that he is an opportunist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esther_McVey

She served in the May Government as Deputy Chief Whip from 2017 to 2018. She was appointed Work and Pensions Secretary on 8 January 2018, but resigned on 15 November 2018 in opposition to the Brexit negotiations and the Withdrawal Agreement. In July 2018 it was reported by the head of the National Audit Office (NAO) that McVey had misled parliament over the new Universal Credit scheme by claiming that the NAO report showed that it should be rolled out faster when in fact the report concluded that the roll-out should be paused.[3] She apologised to the House of Commons on 4 July 2018[4][5] amid calls for her resignation.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk

Four candidates have confirmed their intention to stand:

Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt
International Development Secretary Rory Stewart
Former Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson
Former Work and Pensions Secretary Esther McVey
However, more than a dozen more are believed to be seriously considering running - including Sir Graham, who has resigned as chair of the 1922 Committee.

14 hours ago, baboon said:

Fair enough, but why? Parliament has already said that they will not countenance a 'No Deal', so how is the deadlock broken, then? In the real world, that is?

In the real world it’s already in the legislation that Parliament passed, so they already countenanced it by invoking article 50. Brexit (with or without a deal) is literally the law. The only thing May did was kick the date down the road 6 months.

The only thing Parliament can do is call a confidence vote and force a general election. Given the stratospheric rise of the Brexit party (whose only policy is No Deal Brexit) and the hemorrhaging of support for Labour and the Tories I would say that’s unlikely. It would be like turkeys voting for Christmas, minus the gravy.

The only hope for the anti Democrats is another Remainer PM to try and force through the surrender treaty that ended May’s career. Good luck.

9 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Yes, I agree, and it should have been done within the EU while the UK held a seat, voting rights, and a veto. That Cameron held a referendum instead, was absolutely the wrong approach. 

2 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Yes, I agree, and it should have been done within the EU while the UK held a seat, voting rights, and a veto. That Cameron held a referendum instead, was absolutely the wrong approach. 

That does not change a thing on the Halloween clock ticking end date for the present extension !

14 hours ago, fishtank said:

MPs including her own party voted against it.

Not her fault.

It IS her fault. She has been in control of Brexit since she became PM and has repeatedly said that she WILL deliver Brexit to the country by 29th March 2019, that a no deal is better than a bad deal. She lied.

1 hour ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I think what is being said is that there is no way for MPs to veto it should someone like BJ just run down the clock. Not that I would care a lot if the UK decided to wrack their country; just saying...

Unfortunately May's trick of winding down the clock may have worked, it is 22 weeks to 31 October.

That seems a lot but 2 weeks before she resigns, then an estimated 6 weeks to elect a new leader the 5 weeks summer recess and 3 week party conferences, that leaves only 6 weeks.

I hope when parliament returns after the Whitsun recess Corbyn calls for a vote of no confidence, at least it will speed up the process of getting a new PM and government.

4 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Unfortunately May's trick of winding down the clock may have worked, it is 22 weeks to 31 October.

That seems a lot but 2 weeks before she resigns, then an estimated 6 weeks to elect a new leader the 5 weeks summer recess and 3 week party conferences, that leaves only 6 weeks.

I hope when parliament returns after the Whitsun recess Corbyn calls for a vote of no confidence, at least it will speed up the process of getting a new PM and government.

A general election could give the E.U. the moral duty to give anyway (unfortumnally)  another extension ….

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

That does not change a thing on the Halloween clock ticking end date for the present extension !

Actually it does, because it would be almost impossible for a new PM to rectify the utter chaos the government has made with Brexit to date in the extension time left. Had there been some leeway, it could have been possible to reach a consensus of opinion, but now opinions are polarised, like the two main parties - and on this forum topic.

As I posted above, Sir Graham Brady, out of all the candidates for May's post, would be the most likely to succeed, IMO.

4 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Actually it does, because it would be almost impossible for a new PM to rectify the utter chaos the government has made with Brexit to date in the extension time left. Had there been some leeway, it could have been possible to reach a consensus of opinion, but now opinions are polarised, like the two main parties - and on this forum topic.

As I posted above, Sir Graham Brady, out of all the candidates for May's post, would be the most likely to succeed, IMO.

Not the E.U.'s problem ….but a general election or referendum ...yes that would be a moral reason for  another extension , not changing 1 PM for another PM 

2 hours ago, JAG said:

Well, he wouldn't be the first: Harold Wilson, Ted Heath, Tony Blair, Gordon Brown to name a few in living memory!

So you mean you are used to have a liar as a Leader. 

I can add another one from another country : Adolf Hitler. 

18 minutes ago, david555 said:

A general election could give the E.U. the moral duty to give anyway (unfortumnally)  another extension ….

Firstly a vote of confidence would not automatically trigger a GE, we could have a succession of governments Tory and Labour voted down before a GE, but there again Corbyn could just scrape through with support of all the other opposition parties, if they could get get the UDP on board which could be likely given that a No Deal Brexit would be disastrous for NI.

I would say for Labour to pull it off with a coalition government the only option now would be a "revoke A50" let's think it through before/if a next time.

20 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

the EU has said it will not renegotiate the Withdrawal Treaty it sealed in November.

So it shouldn't be difficult for the new leader to say the UK is leaving the EU without a deal. ????

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

Not the E.U.'s problem ….but a general election or referendum ...yes that would be a moral reason for  another extension , not changing 1 PM for another PM 

I understand recently there was an agreement between Barnier and Brits - without altering the WAG - to amend the political statement in respect of the Irish backstop to ensure the UK was not held in the customs union indefinitely. Possibly, a technical solution.

If that is the case, it would make it far easier for the new PM to get WAG through parliament. 

2 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Firstly a vote of confidence would not automatically trigger a GE, we could have a succession of governments Tory and Labour voted down before a GE, but there again Corbyn could just scrape through with support of all the other opposition parties, if they could get get the UDP on board which could be likely given that a No Deal Brexit would be disastrous for NI.

I would say for Labour to pull it off with a coalition government the only option now would be a "revoke A50" let's think it through before a next time.

I said in case of a general election , not in a change of PM  

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

So it shouldn't be difficult for the new leader to say the UK is leaving the EU without a deal. ????

What the new PM could say, and what he could do, is a lot different. If any new PM could garner support for a no-deal right now, parliament would block it again.

Also, it never ceases to amaze me that what's the point of leaving on a no-deal basis without any plan in place on how to implement Brexit?

2 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

No but lots of idiots,i have nothing against Europe,its the traitors in Brussels i cant stand ,snout in troughers that are destroying Europe .

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Those idiots you mentioned were sent by your Govt. They are Brits. You start a stupid issue: WE against the Brussel's elite. That is nonsense. 

Your people are part of the Union and are part of all decisions in Brussel's. 

3 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

I understand recently there was an agreement between Barnier and Brits - without altering the WAG - to amend the political statement in respect of the Irish backstop to ensure the UK was not held in the customs union indefinitely. Possibly, a technical solution.

If that is the case, it would make it far easier for the new PM to get WAG through parliament. 

Like you quoted " there was an agreement between Barnier and Brits - without altering the WAG - to amend the political statement in respect of the Irish backstop to ensure the UK was not held in the customs union indefinitely. Possibly, a technical solution."

Which was seen as a technical solution , while the expiring Halloween date /fact is from a more priority importance !

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Farage had seven failed attempts to get elected to Parliament. 

Let's just leave it at that. 

But has been elected and re elected a further three times to the European Parliment where its a fairer system of voting....let's just leave it at that

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

Like you quoted " there was an agreement between Barnier and Brits - without altering the WAG - to amend the political statement in respect of the Irish backstop to ensure the UK was not held in the customs union indefinitely. Possibly, a technical solution."

Which was seen as a technical solution , while the expiring Halloween date /fact is from a more priority importance !

And this could be the answer to unlocking the impasse and getting it past parliament before the expiry date. That's called managing the 'priority'. If it would be too late, alternative actions would be put in place, possibly a no confidence vote called by Corbyn and/or a GE before expiry.

Archived