British PM May resigns, paving way for Brexit confrontation with EU

Jonathan Fairfield

20 hours ago, Thakkar said:

“Brexit means Brexit” means ????‍♀️????‍♀️

But Therexit clearly means June 7th...or does it??

Seen the several voting sessions in the House of Commons, even these cannot agree about that...

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your parliamentary democracy was respected via the Referendum Act. The consequences of leaving are not known. We still haven't left. A deal is preferable but the last two years have shown that the EU is reluctant to offer anything reasonable, rather the opposite. 

Then vote accordingly in the referendum.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Only a hard-core right-wing rump in parliament and in the Conservative Party favour a no deal Brexit. It won't happen.

You Brits never get someting organised before 30 Oct, so it is... on your own.  Do not forget a Schengen visa for when you want to cross the Calais Strait. 

19 hours ago, bartender100 said:

If she had done what the majority of the country wanted and left on the 29th of March, as she said over a hundred times, with a WTO deal, she would still be in a job

How you know the majority wanted to leave on 29th of March = a no deal Brexit ? ? Maybe 40 %, but that's it. 

24 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Thanks for not calling me fascist!  As for undemocratic, I believe in parliamentary democracy rather than an advisory referendum.  But if you do accept the latter, how can letting the people decide whether to proceed with the 2016 decision, now that the full facts are known, be undemocratic?  A choice of going with whatever deal is finally agreed, or keeping the deal we have now is surely fair.  You can even add "no deal" to the ballot if you like.

I think words like 'fascists, far right and the rest' are the reserve of some remainers, suddenly because Nigel Farage has been doing extremely well at the polls, he and his followers have become far right, when at the end of the day he is only trying to honour the wishes of the referendum, anyway, onward and upward.

If you were to believe in parliamentary democracy you would understand that parliament did trigger art 50 and agreed to leave the EU, parliament did this, not the plebs.

We have had a referendum, there is no need for another, we have got to respect the wishes of the majority of the UK electorate, and all of this "we didn't know what we were voting for" is just nonsense, the government couldn't have made it more simpler, leave or remain.

There is surely not enough time to work on a deal before the end of October, so the remainers would have us vote on Mrs Mays deal (which nobody in the country wants) or to remain in the EU, would you say that was weighted favourably to remain.

On the plus side Dominic Grieve has said he is not standing for the leadership of the Tory party.

15 hours ago, Jip99 said:

For example, Labour’s inability to take advantage of a lame duck government. 

This is the REAL problem in British politics: it is or "Us" or "the ennemy". 

29 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Your parliamentary democracy was respected via the Referendum Act. The consequences of leaving are not known. We still haven't left. A deal is preferable but the last two years have shown that the EU is reluctant to offer anything reasonable, rather the opposite. 

What the EU offered is a direct consequence of TM's red lines no more, no less

13 hours ago, AlexRich said:

No one campaigned for a no deal Brexit, that form of exit has no mandate. If that’s what a new leader wants to do then he or she has to demonstrate they have support for it ... by a second referendum ... remain or no deal.

Then be quick...

A 6-8 weeks for e new prime minister, and then organise a 2nd referendum.. all MUST be passed before 31 Oct, as for sure, many EU heads of government are NOT willing to give an extention again. And… the majority of British companies interested already are setting up their "pied a terre" in continental EU = British jobs gone.

14 hours ago, bartender100 said:

That link is obviously biased, containing as it does false information right from the very start.

The WTO represents 98% of world trade

The EU will not agree a trade deal until we’ve left, so the WTO exit was always the default position. Delivering Brexit means leaving the EU and trading like the rest of the World.

I have often said that the rest of the world does not trade on WTO terms alone; only one WTO member does; Mauritania.

Who actually trades solely under WTO rules?

However, to update that; as addenda to that article show, Mauritania does in fact have some agreements with other countries, and with the EU.

So the real answer to the question "Who trades under WTO terms alone?" is "No one!"

If trading under WTO rules is so wonderful, why is this?

8 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Then be quick...

A 6-8 weeks for e new prime minister, and then organise a 2nd referendum.. all MUST be passed before 31 Oct, as for sure, many EU heads of government are NOT willing to give an extention again. And… the majority of British companies interested already are setting up their "pied a terre" in continental EU = British jobs gone.

They would extend for a GE or a second referendum ... even Macron. But they won't bend on the withdrawal agreement or engage in "managed no deal" talks. The EU will not want to be seen as the bad guys.  

2 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

They would extend for a GE or a second referendum ... even Macron. But they won't bend on the withdrawal agreement or engage in "managed no deal" talks. The EU will not want to be seen as the bad guys.  

So come on with the G.E. Jeremy Corbyn is waiting so long time already...:tongue:

44 minutes ago, puipuitom said:
21 hours ago, Thakkar said:

“Brexit means Brexit” means ????‍♀️????‍♀️

But Therexit clearly means June 7th...or does it??

Seen the several voting sessions in the House of Commons, even these cannot agree about that...

May has resigned as PM w.e.f. 7th June.

But as the country needs a PM, she will remain as caretaker until the Conservatives have elected a new leader who will then take over as PM.

Whoever that is will have to persuade Parliament to agree to the current deal on the table, come up with a new deal which is acceptable to both the EU and Parliament or persuade Parliament to commit economic suicide by leaving without a deal.

If they haven't succeeded with either of the first two options by October then the disaster of a no deal exit is almost certain as it is highly unlikely that the EU will agree to another extension of Article 50.

May said "she served the country she loved". Sadly, she served the country she loved up on a silver platter to the EU and other globalists. Her and her team tried to make the UK a vassal state of the EU.
Britain will DEFINITELY leave the EU on Oct 31st, deal or no deal, according to Boris Johnson. Where have I heard THAT before?
I don't think May going will make any difference.
I hope my cynicism is misplaced.

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Then vote accordingly in the referendum.

I did as did millions of other people. We voted to leave and gave the task to the government to deal with. Nearly 3 years down the road and we still haven't left.

I figure it will take a year or more after Brexit to see how things are going before having another general election (if there hasn't been one during that time) to see the effects of post Brexit.

46 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Then be quick...

How can there be a second referendum until the first on has been completed?

The UK is not the EU where if the result is unfavourable we have to vote again to get it right.

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I did as did millions of other people. We voted to leave and gave the task to the government to deal with. Nearly 3 years down the road and we still haven't left.

Purely because Corbyn, Johnson, Rees-Mogg and others put their personal ambitions above the interests of the country.

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I figure it will take a year or more after Brexit to see how things are going before having another general election (if there hasn't been one during that time) to see the effects of post Brexit.

There is no compulsion on the new PM, whoever that may be, to call a GE until 2022; and i can see no reason for them to make the same mistake as May and call one before that.

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The UK is not the EU where if the result is unfavourable we have to vote again to get it right.

No we are not. But neither are we stupid.

More and more people are realising that the Leave campaign lied to them in 2016. More and more people are realising that voting Leave was a big mistake.

The overwhelming success of Remain candidates in the recent local elections shows that. Although I accept that when the European results are announced those results may show a different story and will willing eat humble pie if that is so.

However, the time to reverse a mistake is before it's consequences become irreversible. 

I have asked Brexiteers many times why they are afraid of a second referendum; none have given a straight answer.

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But how many Brexit related votes you had lately in H.O.C. and even don't get it right !! :cheesy:

30 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

I have asked Brexiteers many times why they are afraid of a second referendum; none have given a straight answer.

How much straighter than 'bring it on' could their answer have been?

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

That link is obviously biased, containing as it does false information right from the very start.

I have often said that the rest of the world does not trade on WTO terms alone; only one WTO member does; Mauritania.

Who actually trades solely under WTO rules?

However, to update that; as addenda to that article show, Mauritania does in fact have some agreements with other countries, and with the EU.

So the real answer to the question "Who trades under WTO terms alone?" is "No one!"

If trading under WTO rules is so wonderful, why is this?

You've misunderstood the meaning of a 'WTO' Brexit. The WTO rules would only be the default and base position when we leave. The starting point. From there we will make new trading arrangements with other nations. That process has already begun. There is no intention to trade under WTO terms alone! 

There is also Article 24 which would allow us to keep existing trade arrangements in place with the EU for at least 2 years and up to 10 years while we sort everything out. 

8 minutes ago, evadgib said:
45 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

How much straighter than 'bring it on' could their answer have been?

So this means you are now in favour of a second referendum?

Good; what made you change your mind?

Can you use that argument to convince billd766 and the majority of Brexiteers here of the need for a second referendum?

Just now, CG1 Blue said:

There is also Article 24 which would allow us to keep existing trade arrangements in place with the EU for at least 2 years and up to 10 years while we sort everything out. 

Common misconception - article 24 means nothing of the sort 

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/brexit/no-deal-brexit-and-wto-article-24-explained/

1 minute ago, 7by7 said:

So this means you are now in favour of a second referendum?

Good; what made you change your mind?

Can you use that argument to convince billd766 and the majority of Brexiteers here of the need for a second referendum?

I have never been in favour, I was just declaring (again) that I have nothing to fear from the landslide as you'll see on Monday.

2 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

You've misunderstood the meaning of a 'WTO' Brexit. The WTO rules would only be the default and base position when we leave. The starting point. From there we will make new trading arrangements with other nations. That process has already begun. There is no intention to trade under WTO terms alone! 

No, it is those promoting a 'No deal, WTO terms' Brexit who have misunderstood the disastrous realities of that option. Realities I and others have pointed out.

The rest of that paragraph plus

5 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

are strong arguments in favour of May's deal. Apologies, I thought you were against that!

2 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I have never been in favour, I was just declaring (again) that I have nothing to fear from the landslide as you'll see on Monday.

I asked you about a second referendum, not a meaningless election which will have no bearing upon Brexit whatever it's result.

So are you in now favour of a second referendum wishing to 'bring it on,', or do you still fear it now that the lies of the leave campaign have been widely exposed?

8 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

I asked you about a second referendum, not a meaningless election which will have no bearing upon Brexit whatever it's result.

So are you in now favour of a second referendum wishing to 'bring it on,', or do you still fear it now that the lies of the leave campaign have been widely exposed?

I will never be in favour and have nothing whatsoever to fear.

Lies are a red herring too as I made my own mind up without any help.

6 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I will never be in favour and have nothing whatsoever to fear.

Then let's have one to settle it once and for all!

Unless you are afraid of losing now that the truth is out!

7 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Lies are a red herring too as I made my own mind up without any help

Maybe you did, but most didn't.

Otherwise the campaigning, and vast amounts of money spent by both sides, was a complete waste of time!

42 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Then let's have one to settle it once and for all!

Unless you are afraid of losing now that the truth is out!

Maybe you did, but most didn't.

Otherwise the campaigning, and vast amounts of money spent by both sides, was a complete waste of time!

The chances of the board actually getting somewhere might increase if you were a little less insistent upon ramming words into the mouths of others.

Archived