Anyone watching 'Apple Tv' whilst living in Thailand?

davidst01

Currently Im addicted to Netflix which has a ton of excellent content. 

But thinking of buying a new Samsung smart tv with the apple tv app and it also has amazon prime. 

If you watch apple tv how to you rate the content? What about amazon prime?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

if you are buying a Samsung TV, theres no need to get an Apple TV, you download the Netflix app from Samsung App Store. I think, at the unveiling of Apple TV+ then the app will be available on Samsung TV's just like Netflix.

I posted a similar question to yours a few months back ..

What are the benefits of an Apple TV? There were no replies, I have never owned one and was interested, I'm guessing a lot of the features are not redundant .. Im happy with NAS which has its own native app and Netflix.

You can run it as a hub for your home app. I'd love to know what im missing? 

12 hours ago, recom273 said:

What are the benefits of an Apple TV? There were no replies, I have never owned one and was interested, I'm guessing a lot of the features are not redundant .. Im happy with NAS which has its own native app and Netflix.

You can run it as a hub for your home app. I'd love to know what im missing? 

We have one and it's 4 main uses are YouTube, Philips Hue hub, streaming internet radio and one of the 5 AirPlay locations sI I can have the same book playing in the house and workshop.

27 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

We have one and it's 4 main uses are YouTube, Philips Hue hub, streaming internet radio and one of the 5 AirPlay locations sI I can have the same book playing in the house and workshop.

so are you saying that if I start playing internet radio, for example, then if we all have iphones we can connect to the radio anywhere within wifi range?

also, does it have lots of movies same as netflix?

thanks

1 hour ago, davidst01 said:

so are you saying that if I start playing internet radio, for example, then if we all have iphones we can connect to the radio anywhere within wifi range?

also, does it have lots of movies same as netflix?

thanks

No. I'm not.

You can AirPlay from your phone though the AppleTV. You can AirPlay from a Mac to the Apple TV and other AirPlay devices. Your iPhones can send but not receive AirPlay. But if you are listening to streaming radio on the AppleTV just do the same on your iPhones, no problem.image.thumb.jpg.3c7f7b8f90da19ae5586fb1caa708c23.jpg

Yes apple has a lot of movies. However if you already have a Netflix subscription you can use it on the AppleTV, I don't but may in the future so haven't deleted the app.

image.thumb.jpg.fdaffa8b1aab20062afbe3f1771449bb.jpg

there are many many subscription services that have an AppleTV app.

As already mentioned, If you have a smart tv you do not need Apple TV. I have Apple TV purely because I don’t have a smart TV. This just means I can download the same Apps as you can with your smart TV. Hope this helps.

On 6/8/2019 at 7:21 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

Thanks .. I’m not missing anything then.

I agree AirPlay is great, my Yamaha receiver is airplay compatible and every speaker system in the house has a WiFi streamer.

Lights and home automations from homebridge and an old iPad stuck to the wall.

Everything else requires either a VPN or a subscription service, apart from maybe some internet radio, SoundCloud or podcasts? 

6 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Thanks .. I’m not missing anything then.

Apple TV is merely a media player - apart from what's on iTunes it has no content you can't find by other means and on other platforms eg. Roku

18 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Everything else requires either a VPN or a subscription service, apart from maybe some internet radio, SoundCloud or podcasts? 

Mostly, though VLC and PLEX work with my movie libraries and audiobook libraries which means that I probably have somewhere between 40k & 80k hours of books and possibly a couple of hundred movies. 

So certanly an anderoid box box will be able to access things of questionable copyright legality, but won't integrate with my computers in the same way. 

If you just just want a box to connect to your TV (don't buy a smart TV as the apps and not maintained so in a short time it becomes dumb) and don't need/want integration and possibly want a hobby (cleaning malware ???? )  then the AppleTV is not the best value.

However this is the Apple forum and the AppleTV just works with very little effort and integrates with my Macs, iPads, iPods and iPhone  

Mine is from the USA and I have had about 4 years and we enjoy watching the movies and especially the discounted ones which go for about 3-5 dollars...we also watch Russia Today for news which is much better than the ABC, CBS etc. lies as well as YouTube.  

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Mostly, though VLC and PLEX work with my movie libraries and audiobook libraries which means that I probably have somewhere between 40k & 80k hours of books and possibly a couple of hundred movies. 

So certanly an anderoid box box will be able to access things of questionable copyright legality, but won't integrate with my computers in the same way. 

If you just just want a box to connect to your TV (don't buy a smart TV as the apps and not maintained so in a short time it becomes dumb) and don't need/want integration and possibly want a hobby (cleaning malware ???? )  then the AppleTV is not the best value.

However this is the Apple forum and the AppleTV just works with very little effort and integrates with my Macs, iPads, iPods and iPhone  

Yes, totally agree with you! I have been in the Apple ecosphere for 25 or more years and it’s hard to explain to the haters that things just work together.

I have spent so long fixing the wife’s phone - “my photos have disappeared” “how can I get my music from iTunes”

i too have a NAS full of movies and audio, I was really hoping the Apple TV did more, I think most modern TVs handle the job without purchase which I guess why Apple is moving more into monthly subscription services. 

• 1 month later...

Ok a few advantages to having and AppleTV not mentioned above (and not necessarily for everyone but these are benefits I quite enjoy)

1. Gaming - you have a huge library of iOS games you can play, and if you have a compatible controller many are just as enjoyable as PlayStation or Xbox at a fraction of the cost. Great games for kids too! The next version of iOS coming probably in September will include PlayStation and Xbox controller support.

2. Music and Hey Siri support - My iPhone is usually lying around nearby. I have it set-up so that if I say “Hey Siri play XXX in the living room) it’s start playing whatever song I’ve said on the AppleTV automatically (which is hooked up to my sound system). I can have it play by genre, playlist, artist, album...whatever.

3. In addition to Netflix and iTunes there are some other notable apps with B and C content that you can access with a VPN:

- Crackle (Sony shows and movies and some originals)

- Popcornflix

- Tubi (actually has some content without a VPN but VPN to USA content is better)

- Stirr 

Also I just believe it has a much better interface than some of the crappy TV interfaces out there.

Archived