non O at savannakhet

Times for bus from the bus station in Mukdahan. Add about 15 minutes for arrival at the bridge.

image.png.faff7106ea5ab03605a3ba8c91d578bc.png

Source: http://home.transport.co.th/index.php/th/time-table-english/item/443-ตารางเดินรถโดยสารระหว่างประเทศ-international-route.html

No problem parking at the bridge. There is secure parking on the left just before the entrance for the bridge.

I did mine a month ago. There were no changes from what ubonjoe posted. You need a 50 baht ticket for the bus. There is a kiosk on the left before you go through Thai immigration.

I also usually walk over to the incoming immigration booth and pick up a Thailand re entry card as well. Once you have your visa and want to return to Thailand, it can be a bit of a scrum at the immigration desk because everyone else is doing the same thing at the same time. I pre fill my entry form.

digressing slightly, based on what we currently know, will the Savannakhet O visa need health insurance in future? I’m thinking not because it’s only a 90 day visa before having to leave the country. But of course anything is possible. 

5 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

digressing slightly, based on what we currently know, will the Savannakhet O visa need health insurance in future?

No

Only needed for a OA long stay visa for those 50 or over.

• Like 1

OP, here's the application form for the consulate. It will save you some time. The bus is driving by the consulate but doesn't stop there.

You've got to take a Tuk Tuk to get back. Be there before 10 am, the best time is around 7 o' clock, they open at 8.30, could also be 9 o' clock if they feel like it.

SVK-VisaForm.PDF~RF574a717.TMP

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No

Only needed for a OA long stay visa for those 50 or over.

Using common sense, it only seems to be a matter of time when they snap on this type. Just a feeling, I hope that I'm wrong.  

25 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

OP, here's the application form for the consulate. It will save you some time. The bus is driving by the consulate but doesn't stop there.

You've got to take a Tuk Tuk to get back. Be there before 10 am, the best time is around 7 o' clock, they open at 8.30, could also be 9 o' clock if they feel like it.

SVK-VisaForm.PDF~RF574a717.TMP 143.5 kB · 3 downloads

that one will be rejected the application is 2 sided...

i did use the downloadable one as well and i got rejected you need to use the application from them

6 minutes ago, nicelee808 said:

I thought there was just 1 bus per day that takes you over the bridge

As you can see from the schedule I posted there are several a day. Been the same for many years.

So from my understanding of this thread so far.......

I currently am on an Extension of Stay ( Retirement ) and have to keep 800K in the Thai bank. ( plus the rest of the new rules we all know )

BUT....

As I am legally married to a Thai.....

>> I now instead could nip across to Savanaket and apply for a "Non O" based on marriage to a Thai.

>> And not have to show any proof of funds ( only Thai marriage )

>> And not have to have any Medical Insurance

If the above is correct I see only Positives and no negatives ( you even get a short holiday in Laos ???? )

OK every 90 days a quick border run - again just make it a short holiday.

I look forwards to any confirmations from the board...

7 minutes ago, FARANG KIWI said:

So from my understanding of this thread so far.......

I currently am on an Extension of Stay ( Retirement ) and have to keep 800K in the Thai bank. ( plus the rest of the new rules we all know )

BUT....

As I am legally married to a Thai.....

>> I now instead could nip across to Savanaket and apply for a "Non O" based on marriage to a Thai.

>> And not have to show any proof of funds ( only Thai marriage )

>> And not have to have any Medical Insurance

If the above is correct I see only Positives and no negatives ( you even get a short holiday in Laos ???? )

OK every 90 days a quick border run - again just make it a short holiday.

I look forwards to any confirmations from the board...

Yes.  I have this Visa now. 

You can also get it in Vietnam, with the only additional requirement being a one-sentence letter from your wife asking them to issue the Visa.

But be prepared for the possibility that, in the future, they start asking for financials for these visas - as they do already at Thai consulates in Singapore and Malaysia.  But even if that is done, you could qualify using a bank-statement for a non-Thai account, or pension-letter and bank-statements showing deposits to non-Thai accounts.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 6:27 PM, Isaanbiker said:

Using common sense, it only seems to be a matter of time when they snap on this type. Just a feeling, I hope that I'm wrong.  

I think difference is that the OA lets you stay in Thailand for a full 12 months, only 90 reports required.

the O visa forces you to leave Thailand every 90 days.

if anything, it would logical to levy the 100 baht “tourist” insurance tax on O visa holders. Both allow a basic 90 day stay period.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FARANG KIWI said:

@jackthompson - Appreciate your confirmation of my understanding...

>>  And the Non-O, you just Renew each year across the border in Savannakhet?

>>  And the Non-O, you just Renew each year across the border in Savannakhet?........Confirmed Mate.....

• Like 1

You don't have to leave Thailand every 90 days you can extend it at your local IO for another 60 days for 1900 Baht so you get 150 days then you will need to hop over the boarder if you plan it correctly you can get 17 months from this visa by going & getting an 90 day stamp just before your visa runs out & getting an 60 day extension so you get around 17 months 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 5/30/2019 at 8:11 AM, JASON THAI said:

You don't have to leave Thailand every 90 days you can extend it at your local IO for another 60 days for 1900 Baht so you get 150 days then you will need to hop over the boarder if you plan it correctly you can get 17 months from this visa by going & getting an 90 day stamp just before your visa runs out & getting an 60 day extension so you get around 17 months 

Any idea on Time Frame when the Savannakhet route may be possible once again?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Business as before Covid at Savanakhet - much easier than 1 year extensions, that's a massive ball ache imo.

@PJ71  Are your comments from your own recent experience?

Would be good to have up to date info on border crossing into Laos and back into Thailand......  ( Air or Land entry / return )

So you are saying the ability to today get a 1 year Non O from Sanankhet is all 'business as usual' today?

Thanx in advance.

Edited by FARANG KIWI

27 minutes ago, FARANG KIWI said:

So you are saying the ability to today get a 1 year Non O from Sanankhet is all 'business as usual' today?

No he is not.

That is only what he would like to happen.

The only crossing to Laos that is open at this time is Nong Kai to Vientiane. 

6 hours ago, FARANG KIWI said:

@PJ71  Are your comments from your own recent experience?

Would be good to have up to date info on border crossing into Laos and back into Thailand......  ( Air or Land entry / return )

Thanx in advance.

No, this was a question, i did not realise that the thread was before Covid, my bad.