SSD drives showing in safely eject as removable drives

tingtongfarang

I do a lot of video editing and got tired of my old desktop over heating and crashing when rendering 4k or 2.7k,

A while ago a friend donated a nice GPU and a set of ram, I admit to being software dumb but decided to have a go a building a new pc,

Over the next months on trips to hk i started to buy other parts needed ie, power supply, m.2 + 2.5 ssd storage drives, mother board, CPU and cooler,

On completing the build i powered up (no smoke or smell) so in the bios it gave the choice to update over the internet which i did,  i then looked for the drivers for the 2x m.2 drives and the 3x 2TB 2.5 drives and all seemed to listed as the same driver so i installed them from a thumb drive (samsung nvme) Then installed win 10 pro 64bit (never done anything like this before)

All seemed to be working correct apart from the 2.5 ssd drives did not show in this pc but the 2xm.2 drives did,  Although all drives were listed in the bios, I later found the 2.5 drives in the storage pool and deleted them...they then showed in disk management which they did not before, I could then assign and name them, They then showed in this pc,

All was well i thought until i had downloaded files from an sd card and proceed to safely eject and noticed the 3x2.5 ssd drives also in there as removable drives,   ideas anyone? ( i did read this often happens in ryzen systems)

Specs

Rog strix x470-f gaming

ryzen7 2700x water cooled by 360mm AIO

ram 4x16GB corsair vengence pro 3200htz

boot drive  samsung 1TB 970 M.2 evo pro+

scratch drive  samsung 250GB 970 M.2 evo

storage  3x samsung 2TB 860 QVO

gpu    geforce rtx 2080 8GB

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I just looked and my one and only 256G SSD shows in safely eject....Ignore it !

As i often stick usb card readers + external drives in the usb sockets i was afraid sometime i might eject the wrong drive, i just know its gonna happen,

Also i have another 3 storage drive waiting to go in, the chances of making the mistake get bigger.

1 hour ago, tingtongfarang said:

As i often stick usb card readers + external drives in the usb sockets i was afraid sometime i might eject the wrong drive, i just know its gonna happen,

Also i have another 3 storage drive waiting to go in, the chances of making the mistake get bigger.

With the needing for such a sophisticated, complex, 'professional'?, computer, I think you should be seeking better advice than you can get here on TVisa. Although it IS simply up to YOU to keep track of where each drive is plugged, and what is on them. Did you consider getting a caddy letting you keep all the drives plugged in.

6 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

With the needing for such a sophisticated, complex, 'professional'?, computer, I think you should be seeking better advice than you can get here on TVisa.

I live in hope, to be honest i dont know where to find anyone with an answer to this,

7 minutes ago, tingtongfarang said:

I live in hope, to be honest i dont know where to find anyone with an answer to this,

I noticed that you have a 1TB for booting from ie Windows, programs, and are using a 256 for a scratch drive. Would you not be better exchanging those two drives?

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I noticed that you have a 1TB for booting from ie Windows, programs, and are using a 256 for a scratch drive. Would you not be better exchanging those two drives?

From what i have read with m.2 drives.... the larger they are the speeds are faster, but i really dont need more than 250gb on the scratch as it is anyway wiped clean after use, i just copy files onto the scratch drive from storage drives, i learned to distrust external mechanical drives,

I think the larger pro+ works better as a boot drive, boot time is around 5 seconds,

I dont know anything about games so the read & write + rendering times are the only aspects i have interest in.

You might be able to remove your SSDs from "Safe to eject" by going back into your motherboard BIOS (probably UEFI, but you know what I mean...) and find the screen with the SATA slots and see if they are set to "hot swap" (or similar wording).  If they are set to Yes, change them to No.  Then save the BIOS configuration, reboot and see if they still show up in "Safe to eject".

10 hours ago, wpcoe said:

You might be able to remove your SSDs from "Safe to eject" by going back into your motherboard BIOS (probably UEFI, but you know what I mean...) and find the screen with the SATA slots and see if they are set to "hot swap" (or similar wording).  If they are set to Yes, change them to No.  Then save the BIOS configuration, reboot and see if they still show up in "Safe to eject".

You sir are a genius!

After following your suggestion the 3x 2.5 ssds are gone from the safely remove list, I now feel safe to install the next 3x  2.5 ssd 2TB drives,

Strange thing i noticed was that also the m.2 drives were hot plug enabled but had never showed in the remove safely list, Maybe because they have their own dedicated slots on the motherboard along with heat sinks?

Anyway i just disabled hot plug on all drives and life is hunky dory.

????

10 hours ago, robblok said:

My m2 drives don't seem to have the problem and of course they show up in disk management.  In none of my computers so there must be something wrong.  Samsung like yours. 

The m.2 drives were never a problem ... they behaved from the get go,

It was only the 2.5 storage drives which were hurting my head.

3 minutes ago, tingtongfarang said:

The m.2 drives were never a problem ... they behaved from the get go,

It was only the 2.5 storage drives which were hurting my head.

so the 2.5 SSD drives are the ones that are giving problems. I have them too in a few of my computers but also no problems. But i prefer the M.2 drives for their speed. My most recent computer has a 2 TB m.2 drive in it works great. 

The rest of my data i just store on a NAS with 5 drives each 6TB. I would not do that for video editing of course then a a small SSD drive would be better but for movies / TV series and work related stuff the NAS drive is perfect.

But it seems you solved your problem that is great.

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

so the 2.5 SSD drives are the ones that are giving problems. I have them too in a few of my computers but also no problems. But i prefer the M.2 drives for their speed. My most recent computer has a 2 TB m.2 drive in it works great. 

The rest of my data i just store on a NAS with 5 drives each 6TB. I would not do that for video editing of course then a a small SSD drive would be better but for movies / TV series and work related stuff the NAS drive is perfect.

But it seems you solved your problem that is great.

Yes the m.2 drives are really fast, sequential speeds between the m.2s are up around 6GB per second and between 2.5 ssds and m.2. around 4.5 GB per second,

For editing i use davinci resolve and compared to my old desktop it runs lightening fast and so responsive...rendering large projects now takes a couple of hours as opposed to 9-10 hours on the old pc over night + never knowing if it would crash or over heat and shut down half way.

Strange numbers. M.2 NVMe are fast, but even when saturating the 4x PCIe lanes (32Gbps) they would not be able to transfer at higher speeds than just under 4GBps. Even Samsung quotes 3500MBps as max sequential transfer rate for the 970.

I have 2 x 970Plus NVMe's not sharing the PCIe lanes, and could never achieve the speeds you're talking about.

As far as 2.5" SSD goes, their transfer speed will be restricted by the interface they are connected to. In case of SATA it's max 550MBps, no matter what you do.

Archived