Jump to content
BANGKOK 17 June 2019 03:46

Recommended Posts

I'm a teacher in Bangkok, and due to start a new job in August. However, now comes all the fun and games of applying for a new visa. To add to my exasperation, it would appear that everyone who works in HR at my new school simply does not have a clue. I've asked question after question of them, gone around in circles, had questions unanswered, some questions answered incorrectly, and been told I have to do things that I actually do not have to do. 

 

Please could someone therefore confirm or otherwise the following:

 

1. I can get a Non-B visa either in the Thai embassy in another country, or at Chaeng Wattana.

2. If I go to Chaeng Wattana, I need to get my degree certificate certified.

3a. I would also need my degree transcript certifying.

4. If I were to go abroad, I would not need my degree certificate or transcript certifying.

4a. I would only need to take my passport, the papers my school provides for me (application form), and I assume the fee required for the visa, and probably some photos...

5. This is all that is required to get a Non-B visa.

 

Yay or nay?

 

(Your assistance is greatly appreciated.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect the people who are qualified to answer your questions (which is not me) will need to know what kind of school has offered you the job.  Public, private, language school or university?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scorpion364 said:

Unfortunately not the HR staff at my new school!

 

It is an International school

There surely must be other teachers at the school who have been through the process. Perhaps, you should try to talk to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Save yourself a lot of angst and running around. Employ an agent.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What sort of Visa, or Extension of Stay, are you on now ? Are your current and new employer located in the same province ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Save yourself a lot of angst and running around. Employ an agent.

An agent is completely inappropriate in these circumstances.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scorpion - I cannot answer your specific questions. Probably, the only folk who can are the IO's at Chaeng Wattana.

 

In this case the old adage applies "If you want something done right, do it yourself".

 

In your shoes, I would gather all the paperwork I have and visit Chaeng Wattana and ask them exactly what is required to remain legit. Really the only way you will get specific answers to your question.

 

As far as your new schools HR - well, either they do not know or are lazy, either way, it doesn't appear that they are a useful resource. So Be It. 

 

 

 

 



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Briggsy said:

An agent is completely inappropriate in these circumstances.

You have some basis for saying that? Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty of agents willing to help , just a question of how much you're willing to pay for their services. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

You have some basis for saying that? Why?

Have you ever possessed a work permit in Thailand? Have you ever obtained an extension based on that work permit? I have with multiple employers. The co-operation of the employer is absolutely essential.

 

Your glib comment recommending an "agent" is completely inappropriate to this situation. It may help with a retirement extension but not with this case. You are projecting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Have you ever possessed a work permit in Thailand? Have you ever obtained an extension based on that work permit? I have with multiple employers. The co-operation of the employer is absolutely essential.

 

Your glib comment recommending an "agent" is completely inappropriate to this situation. It may help with a retirement extension but not with this case. You are projecting.

Answer is no. I'm retired.

Forgive me for thinking the cooperation of an employer for a work permit is a statement of the blindingly obvious. I was thinking more of getting the paperwork correct for Immigration, which agents do.

Would it make you happier to flay me, or boil me in oil?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Answer is no. I'm retired.

Forgive me for thinking the cooperation of an employer for a work permit is a statement of the blindingly obvious. I was thinking more of getting the paperwork correct for Immigration, which agents do.

Would it make you happier to flay me, or boil me in oil?

Thank you for your honest reply.

 

Medieval torture is not necessary.

 

In this case, we are talking about an international school. They will have a member of staff who liaises with the Ministry of Labour, the Ministry of Education and with Immigration. The Ministry of Labour is the key one. Once the Work Permit has been obtained, the extension of permission to stay is not as difficult. The introduction of an agent to the process would be an expensive and troublesome step. All the documentation, and there is a huge stack of copies, has to come from the school.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm currently on a Non-B visa as I already work as a teacher in Bangkok. I am moving to an international school, also in Bangkok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

 

In this case, we are talking about an international school. They will have a member of staff who liaises with the Ministry of Labour, the Ministry of Education and with Immigration. The Ministry of Labour is the key one. Once the Work Permit has been obtained, the extension of permission to stay is not as difficult. The introduction of an agent to the process would be an expensive and troublesome step. All the documentation, and there is a huge stack of copies, has to come from the school.

I have to sign 8 pages of copies just for a 90 day report. I don't think I can get my head around the documentation you are talking about, or want to.

What the hell do Thai government departments do with all their paper? Mulch it and use it to feed pigs?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...