One observation

The best approach to Thailand, in my view, is to enter and exit as a tourist and move around SE Asia in the gaps. You can only do this if you are single with no ties, but it means you are not having to jump through too many hoops and can exit easily should the merde hit the fan. If you are tied to Thailand due to family then it’s important to have a contingency plan to exit if the rules change to your disadvantage. I would never go “all in” in Thailand, or any other country that doesn’t give me the same rights as a citizen.

You say it's nothing to worry about, then you say it's a cull.

The govt has rather made a dog's dinner of the changes to the immigration rules. The result has been those able to leave start to think about doing so. This means in general the younger ex pats, those in work, more likely Bangkok based.

This element has less time to spend on adapting to administrative change and is more likely to reject uncertain situations.

Next, the government decides to reduce the possible risks of an ageing expat community  who cannot count on the public sector for Healthcare. This will tend to hit the retirement destinations and those in more difficult financial circumstances.

There is also amendments to the tourist visa rules in recognition of the growing importance of Chinese and Indian visitors.

And I would include in this list, the threats to airbnb, the threats to watering holes and massage shops, and the raised voices over the penetration of Grab.

The writer of the piece has not had recent experience in the Thai government, probably not since the military takeover in 2014. Since that time, the prime minister has set about introducing a long-term strategy for the management of the country. The above considerations look to me like strands that are starting to come together in a strategic vision for Thailand's expat community. What could this be?

It looks to me simply like they are trying to maximise the take by going up market. I seen this done in other countries, in fact it is quite a common approach that governments take to their tourist industry, and understandably so.

What is missing in countries that are run in a top-down fashion is a proper consultation with the people involved. This consultation process is a good idea for two reasons. One, it avoids making mistakes or at least reduces the risk and provides opportunities to shift the blame if things do go wrong. And two, it gets the advance backing of the people who will be affected. Of course it can also slow everything down and risks the government's new policies being aborted.

What we are missing is a voice from the expat community and a channel for communicating it to the government. Who represents expats in Thailand? Who, at a national level, represents the foreigner? This question becomes more powerful if you consider that the government is starting, in a way, to tax people who do not have a vote.

Edited by MartinKal
Clarity
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You may be right. As I can only tolerate Bangkok for 24 hours maximum,  maybe our perceptions of what is good/bad are different.

Some posters on TV claim Cambodia and the Philippines are good. Certainly the situation with visas and Immigration supports that.

Not sim not sure about that. While on face value the actual visa may be easier in the the  Phillipines, the recent draconian laws introduced doesn't make at all comfortable. Say the wrong thing to the wrong person and its either jail or deportation.

Posters often only paint the rosy side of things and forget about the thorns.

I guess that's human nature to try and convince themselves and others that they have made the right move ( mostly themselves).

3 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Not sim not sure about that. While on face value the actual visa may be easier in the the  Phillipines, the recent draconian laws introduced doesn't make at all comfortable. Say the wrong thing to the wrong person and its either jail or deportation.

I guess that's human nature to try and convince themselves and others that they have made the right move ( mostly themselves).

I won't know until I try it there, which may not happen if the most recent reports on health insurance requirements are accurate.

It's not rocket science. Turn up neatly dressed, and be polite. Turn up looking like something the cat dragged in, with a boorish attitude to boot, and one will have problems anywhere between immigration and a street bar.

What a weird OP. They're not out to get us. But it's a cull. Come back to us when you've made up your mind. What difference does it make if it's "coordinated" or not if the impact is the same!?!

My description of what is happening is that we're being jerked around and naturally many will be jerked on outta here. Yeah -- a cull. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

Well, in 1990, that might have been true (though, even then, one would need to add Singapore). Today, countries like South Korea and Mainland China have clearly outstripped Thailand. Countries like Malaysia and Vietnam (even parts of Indonesia) are competitive. Yes, Thailand still has more facilities than countries like Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar, but that is not much of a level to aspire to. The fact is that, while the standard of living of Thais has generally improved greatly (an important achievement) the country has gone backwards as far as becoming an advanced economy is concerned.

I have just returned from a holiday in China and I must admit I was very impressed at how advanced the Cities are (and I emphsize CITIES) compared to Thailand.  Many electric vehicles, cashless purchases, tourist venues with English translation, to name but a few.  Must admit I missed Google apps, but I am sure they will have a "look alike" very soon.

4 hours ago, malibukid said:

might add that the Thai's do not see large sum of money i put in bank or the fact that i and others do rescue work for animals that they don't  give a #$%^ about.  

They don’t see what you do and if they did they’d report you for working illegally 

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

the mostly poor country of Thailand (it's Taxpayers) 

I must live in a different Thailand because the one I live in is not mostly poor. Most of the poor in Thailand will not pay tax. I however have paid an awful lot of tax here

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, BritTim said:

I 100% agree with you that there is no coordinated effort to rid Thailand of long stay foreigners. However, I also believe that a significant proportion of the Thai elite feel (as in many countries) that their national identity is being eroded by the presence of so many foreigners bringing their own cultures and behaviour into the country. Where that xenophobic group has influence, I do see a trend towards trying to rid the country of those they consider most damaging to traditional Thai society.

Good example is China where permissions to stay in the country, even for those married to a Chinese and having children, are refused, and they get to hear to go back to their own country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

The new PI rules are not really that draconian - just don't make a total arse of oneself to locals or officials, and you'll be fine.  We've all seen these types - no country would want them around.  Doing the same to locals in Thailand could result (and has, in some published cases) in hospitalization - while at the same time, if staying mellow, one would almost never have a problem with the locals here.  In general, locals in both countries are friendly, with the PI ones a bit more consistently so.

By contrast, the PI officials I dealt with were always friendly, professional, and polite.  In Thailand, it is hit-and-miss - some literally oozing hatred at you for no conceivable reason, but also some good-humored and friendly ones at most Issan border crossings (not Poipet, which is run by Bangkok IOs).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Good example is China where permissions to stay in the country, even for those married to a Chinese and having children, are refused, and they get to hear to go back to their own country.

All foreigners are a threat to their system.  They heavily-censor the web, to try to maintain an illusory image of the world in the minds of their citizens - but how to control the mouths of foreigners, who might relate what the outside-world is really like?

Some say they think Thailand has a similar issue with us - but if that were their goal, the place to start would be blocking Facebook and similar who influence millions of Thais daily - not removing Farangs, who are primarily here because they love Thailand.

I read this and shake my head. I don't view the insurance requirement as a means to push long stay expats out at all. I view it as a way to squeeze vast sums of cash out of expats while providing little or to no insurance. The profits will be astronomical. Just look at the proposal to charge tourists a 100 baht insurance fee to cover the 300 million hospitals claim to be stuck with when tourists don't pay their bills. According to the government, it will bring in 3.6 billion baht. I am fine with it and if I were a tourist and was hurt/injured I would just point to the fee and let the hospital know the Thai government will be covering the cost with my 100 baht insurance fee charge. Probably the way the Thai government should be doing it. No worries about scooter renters having accidents without a license etc... you are covered. The same goes for bus/van accidents, you are covered. Note, this is accident insurance, not health care coverage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

It’s not the not being able to meet the requirements, it’s the never really knowing what the requirements are because every IO has different requirements.

Where is that? Can't stop to read that (on this forum only!) but have no idea where it's supposed to happen. I depend of Jomtien Immigration and never heard of different IOs asking different documents ?? Maybe some isolated case in some small Immigration offices  :ermm: but a few exceptions don't make the general rule.

8 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Where is that? Can't stop to read that (on this forum only!) but have no idea where it's supposed to happen. I depend of Jomtien Immigration and never heard of different IOs asking different documents ?? Maybe some isolated case in some small Immigration offices  :ermm: but a few exceptions don't make the general rule.

Jomtien seems to be the best of the bunch.  I never have a problem there with inconsistent IOs. 

• Like 2

I have been on retirement extensions (visas) for the last 9 years but for mental health reasons I return to Canada (and sanity) for just over 6 months most years.  I am not happy being forced to keep B800K+ in my Thai bank for 5 months even though I can easily afford it.

From what I read about the insurance prices the cost versus the maximum payout was an extremely poor investment.  The pre existing condition clauses were laughable and even though they say it won't affect us retirees, I suspect they are testing the waters - they love a good cash cow and IMO is sure to expand!  Many years ago I got Thai licenses which was susposed to get me into venues at Thai prices?  Now I have to pay 5 times the Thai rate at Parks, some private events, plus beaches - things change and it is seldom in our interests.  They love moving the goal posts!!!!

My solution is next time around will be to drop my retirement status and arrive with a tourist 3 month visa.

After 2 or 3 months in my Thai city with my wife and family I will spend a few weeks in Vietnam get a new 3 month visa then leave Thailand after 60 days (so I don't have to pay the extra 1900 baht to extend the visa to 90 days.  Sorry a 90 day tourist visa should be good for 90 days.

I won't have to keep the 800K in Thai banks with dismal returns or do 90 day reporting, renewals or bother with rentry stamps.

I feel sorry for the guys who are trapped due to economics and the high Baht rates.

6 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Don’t you read this forum?!

• Haha 1