How to get rid of an old motorbike? (Phuket)

Hk810

Hi, so my motorbike (Honda clock 110i) is pretty old and has trouble starting. It took forever to get the engine going while starting since it wasn’t used for a few days and now it just clicks but doesn’t start (battery is good). Also it eats gas way too much gas really fast.  

I was wondering how can I get rid of this bike? I know I can just fix it and sell it but I don’t know how much life it has left and I don’t want to sell someone a crappy bike. 

Thanks!!

Maybe buy another Click and keep your old one for spare parts? The amount of money you'd get for a non-running oldish bike would be paltry, but if you had another one it would have a lot more value to you.

The other option is to do what my wife did with our old Suzuki - just say that anyone who is willing to fix it can have the bike for 1000 baht, you'll get a taker no problems. We looked at a new Honda Wave 125i today, and the dealer offered us 2500 baht trade in on our fully working 8 year old wave 110 - that's considerably less than what a pair of trainers costs me in the UK so we decided to keep it for spares/emergencies.

Or just put the green book under the seat, and park it on a main road in Patong with the key in it. Problem solved.

20 hours ago, SteveK said:

Maybe buy another Click and keep your old one for spare parts? The amount of money you'd get for a non-running oldish bike would be paltry, but if you had another one it would have a lot more value to you.

The other option is to do what my wife did with our old Suzuki - just say that anyone who is willing to fix it can have the bike for 1000 baht, you'll get a taker no problems. We looked at a new Honda Wave 125i today, and the dealer offered us 2500 baht trade in on our fully working 8 year old wave 110 - that's considerably less than what a pair of trainers costs me in the UK so we decided to keep it for spares/emergencies.

Or just put the green book under the seat, and park it on a main road in Patong with the key in it. Problem solved.

Which shop is it that offered to bye your old bike as a trade in?

6 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Get a local bike repair shop to look at it. May only cost 300-500 to fix.

Lots of people want cheap old bikes to use for local trips.

if it is fixed, you could sell it for between 8000-12,000 baht. 

Oh i forgot to mention, after you do the repair, the fastest and easiest way to sell it would be in the free Facebook Marketplace group called “Phuket motorbike for sale” or “Phuket vehicles for sale” etc. 

17 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Get a local bike repair shop to look at it. May only cost 300-500 to fix.

Lots of people want cheap old bikes to use for local trips.

if it is fixed, you could sell it for between 8000-12,000 baht. 

I think 8000 Bt would be the upper limit.

6 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

I think 8000 Bt would be the upper limit.

Really depends on the condition of the bike, mileage shown on tach, and if it has the greenbook. 

Hondas tend to sell for more than yamahas.

In my experience, a beat-up old bike that runs fine could fetch 8k WITHOUT a greenbook, or 10k WITH a greenbook.

A well-kept old bike that runs fine WITHOUT a greenbook could fetch 10k, or 12-13k WITH a greenbook.

3 minutes ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Really depends on the condition of the bike, mileage shown on tach, and if it has the greenbook. 

Hondas tend to sell for more than yamahas.

In my experience, a beat-up old bike that runs fine could fetch 8k WITHOUT a greenbook, or 10k WITH a greenbook.

A well-kept old bike that runs fine WITHOUT a greenbook could fetch 10k, or 12-13k WITH a greenbook.

Keep dreaming. Huge supply of old bikes. Limited demand for old bikes.

46 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Keep dreaming. Huge supply of old bikes. Limited demand for old bikes.

You seem to be living in your own alternate-reality.

I just sold a very beat-up old bike WITHOUT a greenbook in two days for 8500 baht.

Had a dozen people chasing me for it and sold it to the first person that came for it.

"I was wondering how can I get rid of this bike?" - Have you tried leaving it on the side of the road with the keys in the ignition and putting up a big sign saying "FREE" or "FREE TO A GOOD HOME"?

Archived