Foreigner charged with using fake passport, thanks to face recognition system

snoop1130

Foreigner charged with using fake passport, thanks to face recognition system

By Kornkamon Aksorndej 
The Nation

453110f9a96f5ccdbdd5a31c9417a1b7-sld.jpeg

Immigration police on Friday detained a foreign man for allegedly using a false travel document to travel out of the country at Suvarnabhumi International Airport.

The man was using a passport that identified him as Oh Chee Boon, a Malaysian, to check in at the airport on his way to Philippines on Philippine Airlines.

However the airport’s biometric system, which featured face recognition, showed that he did not match the system’s data storage information. During questioning the man insisted that he was Oh.

However, further investigation showed that the passport was fake and had been used in entering and exiting Thailand via the Thai-Myanmar border several times. Police also confiscated a cash of US$500,000.

Police charged the man with using a fake passport and suspected him of involving in transnational crime.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30369949

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-05-24

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leaving the question of why he was travelling on a fake passport with a serious wad of cash to one side, or where said cash will end up, and coming back to the issue of facial recognition systems.

Scoring 16%, 16%, 0% and obviously looking nothing like the dark looking fella on the far right of the picture, so another probable 0%, does this mean that he has lost face?

Something I thought anathema in this part of the world.

I wonder how that system would handle dealing with my passport photo and me in real time, after a serious night or weekend on the piss? 1. ???? 2. ???? (That number 2 emoji, quite appropriately being the "pile of poo" emoji.)

12 minutes ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Leaving the question of why he was travelling on a fake passport with a serious wad of cash to one side, or where said cash will end up, and coming back to the issue of facial recognition systems.

My guess is that he is from China.

Chinese passports are quite restrictive for smuggling money when compared to other countries' passports.

Malaysia has a huge ethnic Chinese population so they look 'similar' until some facial recognition software which was imported from China comes up to identify the fakes. LOL

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Police also confiscated a (sic) cash of US$500,000.

I can see how there might be some very expensive dinner reservations being made by senior members of the Imm. Police this weekend. Perhaps even some new vehicles and gold for some wives is on the way. 

Congratulations guys. Nice windfall. 

38 minutes ago, ukrules said:

The interesting thing about this is the amount of cach he was carrying. I wonder if he declared it.

I know he's not a US citizen, and he is travelling in another country, but I wonder what happens when the US Secret Service steps in. There is always the question if this money is even real, not sure the RTP would even know that...

More cases to come and not only Asian ones I guess  ,as the Thais seems to enjoy their new digital toys and improving to use them .

Maybe now our naughty boys start sweating a little :wink:

2 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Probably fake news to try and show people that their system is wonderful.

Who on earth thinks they can get $500k through an airport!!

A bit like they use the 'honest cabbie' story to cover all the sh1t that goes down here.

Agreed, this is another bomb detector farce.

The Thais are too corrupt to buy anything that actually works, and if they did accidentally get something that worked, their staff would be too stupid to operate it.

2 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

The image in the BP shows nowhere near $500,000, and some of the notes are 100s of a different currency.

500.000 in 100's would be around 5 kilogams/12 lbs.??

Don't think that's 5 kilograms in the photograph.

A post containing a link to Bangkok Post has been removed as well as the replies:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

Apple got in trouble when, based on its facial recognition system, it accused someone of theft. They were wrong. And this is a tech company. A US city has banned its use for the same reason. What are the chances that Thailand's will be 100% correct?

This time it appears to have worked.

23 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Apple got in trouble when, based on its facial recognition system, it accused someone of theft. They were wrong. And this is a tech company. A US city has banned its use for the same reason. What are the chances that Thailand's will be 100% correct?

This time it appears to have worked.

This time it triggered an alarm and caused further checking. Can't see any problem with that.

Archived