Foreigner charged with using fake passport, thanks to face recognition system

snoop1130

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Caldera said:

The scary part is that the immigration officer didn't recognize the passport as fake right away.

What people make or invent ,other people can circumvent ,also those passport making machines are for sale …. so  it is only the data for the moment is the 99.5% controlling factor 

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Probably did, the FR software angle in the story may just be to justify buying the equipment.

in no time this can be connected to any reasonable street camera on condition can be zooming in image ,example in the western country's , if not already in use. 

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Agreed, this is another bomb detector farce.

The Thais are too corrupt to buy anything that actually works, and if they did accidentally get something that worked, their staff would be too stupid to operate it.

I just had a friend come back through Suvarnabhum after a denial on a tourist visa a month or so back. 

He said that after he was taken aside they scanned his passport. All his entry/exit pics popped up, his full history including info about him losing his passport 10 years ago, a pending civil court case and a bunch of other info. 

He was questioned about his length of time in the country and they obviously knew of all his different visas and applications. They were going to knock him back again on his valid SETV even after 2 months out of the country. 

After a full set of prints, more pictures and a severe dressing down he was allowed to enter. The IO said his documents and the reason why they chose to allow entry will then be passed up the chain to a supervisor to be looked at further as well.

It seems their systems are functioning and they very much know how to operate them 

1 minute ago, MRToMRT said:

Why was the headline not "Malaysian charged ......" rather than "Foreigner charged ......"

Is The Nation as xenophobic as the rest. You would think it would know better.

Technically they are right as not sure which nationality because of fake identity used...

8 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Probably fake news to try and show people that their system is wonderful.

Who on earth thinks they can get $500k through an airport!!

A bit like they use the 'honest cabbie' story to cover all the sh1t that goes down here.

I was wondering the same thing... $500,000 in your hand luggage very doubtful!!

Money can be transferred so easily via the internet banking system why carry cash?
Only the drugs need to be shipped across borders?

3 minutes ago, Sealbash said:

Malaysians are foreigners in Thailand. 

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My point was that in the US everytime theres something NOT involving an American national then CNN, NYT, WP et al dont start every news piece with "Foreigner........." so why does the press (english language press namely BKP and Nation) do this?

I think its reinforcing the Us and Them mentality. An anti-foriegner stub.

Malaysians are foreigners in Thailand.

Yes, I too find it disconcerting how one can travel thousands of miles from home to a different country with a different culture and history, only to find things are not exactly the same as they were at home.

I wonder how many fake passports and money and visas are already in circulation! The Chinese can and do forge anything  and everything.Immigration are allowing them in virtually undetected!(Australia, USA, UK have been wary for years)

I am not sure this story is entirely true but I suppose it is trying to show that the new systems are plausible and that immigration are competent in their duties.

I hope there is more to come for all nationalities who are already in or entering the Kingdom for illegal activities.

20 hours ago, ocddave said:

Holy cow, US$500,000?!

A real amateur - today's professionals use untraceable bitcoin's ... :whistling:

3 hours ago, johng50 said:

Or at least one person will pocket some very very expensive watches and gold rings stashed away for the future.

Only if the cash has a better quality than the passport ... :thumbsup:

21 hours ago, Inn Between said:

I can see how there might be some very expensive dinner reservations being made by senior members of the Imm. Police this weekend. Perhaps even some new vehicles and gold for some wives is on the way. 

Congratulations guys. Nice windfall. 

Wives????  Mia Noi's!!!!!! 555.

18 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Probably fake news to try and show people that their system is wonderful.

A bit like they use the 'honest cabbie' story to cover all the sh1t that goes down here.

Your probably have been under a rock since 1845 . If you know how much cash money is carried like that , there is only a little bit of that getting caught , same as with drugs . Or do you think when someone is getting caught with 10 kilo's of coke, that that's the only drugs being smuggled ?? 

20 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Believe it or not, much larger sums pass through airports every day but they are usually split between 2 or 3 people to try to avoid losing the lot. This guy would probably have got away with it if he'd not been using a dodgy passport.

Some airports seem to be more thorough when scanning luggage than others and in my experience Suvarnabhumi and Manchester are pretty lax. On more than one occasion I have had things in my luggage that should at the very least have lead to me being questioned - I wasn't. Last year I had 24 stainless steel UK double electrical sockets and back boxes + various other electrical items and brass plumbing gear that filled an entire suitcase. I really thought I was pushing my luck and fully expected to at least be stopped by customs on arrival at Suvarnabhumi. God knows what that lot looked like on a scanner - was it scanned at all? More than a little worrying in my opinion - I shudder to think what its possible to get through some of these airports.

I also know someone that often used to carry quite large amounts of cash (although nothing like $500,000) from the UK to Thailand. The cash was 'grey' (i.e. not stolen or drug money but undeclared income) but not declared and he was never picked up on it. Contrast that to Heathrow where they have dogs sniffing for cash and regularly find people carrying over the limit.

Archived