BANGKOK 26 June 2019 19:55
Thaivisa Web Content Team

A Healthy Dog Was Put Down So It Could Be Buried with Its Owner

Emma, an adorable and perfectly healthy Shi-Tzu was recently put down, because its owner put it in her will that she wanted to be buried with her beloved pet when she died.

On March 8, shortly after her owner passed away, Emma was brought to the Chesterfield County Animal Shelter in Chesterfield, Virginia, where she remained for the next two weeks. Staff there were informed about the dog’s fate, so they kept trying to convince the deceased woman’s estate to sign Emma over, so she could be adopted by another family. The shelter repeatedly told representatives of the estate that they could easily find a home for her, but they declined every time. They did the same on March 22, when an executor came to pick up Emma to have her put down, but there was no convincing him.

The adorable Shi-Tzu was taken to a local veterinarian where she was euthanized. She was then taken to a cremation center in Richmond and her ashes were placed in an urn that was buried with the remains of the late dog’s owner to fulfill the request expressed in her will.

“We did suggest they could sign the dog over on numerous occasions, because it’s a dog we could easily find a home for and re-home,” Carrie Jones, the manager of Chesterfield Animal Services in Virginia, told the Associated Press. “Ultimately, they came back in on 22 March and redeemed the dog.”

In some US states, pets are considered personal property, which makes it perfectly legal for vets to put them down, if the owner so wishes, even after their death. Not all states allow pets to be buried with their owners, but in some, like Virginia, it’s still common practice.

“This is an example of a completely needless killing of a healthy dog. Emma could still be around, living a happy life, bonding with a family,” Amanda Howell, staff attorney with the Animal Legal Defense Fund, told CBS News. “Moving away from treating animals like property is a really big step for ensuring these types of provisions in wills are not enforced.”

Howell added that both the executor and the veterinarian made a mistake in this case, saying that instead of blindly following the wish expressed by the owner in her will, they could have gone to a judge for guidance. Many judges refuse to enforce such provisions, even in states where the practice of having pets buried with their owners is legal.

Cases in which families opt to have a late loved one’s pet put down when they are too old or too sick to be re-located with a new family are pretty common, but as one funeral services business owner told NBC, Emma was friendly and perfectly healthy.

Full article

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)

I thought this was a Thai story and would have believed it. 

U.S? bloody shameful.

Edited by fishtank
  • Like 1

U.S? bloody shameful.
Thais have religious issues with putting down even very sick dogs.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you want a feel-good dog story, and one related to Thailand, read the following. Roscoe was (and is -- there's now a statue at Korat RTAFB) a story known to most Air Force types, especially us ops types, stationed in Thailand. Detail is in the article, but briefly, Roscoe would wait at the flight line for his master, an F-105 pilot, to return from North Vietnam. One day he didn't. And Roscoe waited thru the night, until a cadre of new friends led him away. He'd be the Korat mascot for 7 years, an honorary colonel. The best story is, he'd attend the moring mission briefings -- sleeping the general's front row seat. If, during the briefing, he got up and left -- that meant the mission was going to be hot. And, believe me, fighter pilots were not above superstition.

http://34tfsthuds.us/roscoe/

If somehow the above link doesn't work, Google on Roscoe Korat

Oh, click on the insert newspaper obituary of Roscoe. Good, and happy, further details. Certainly when compared to this thread's article.

Edited by JimGant
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, fishtank said:

U.S? bloody shameful.

Some people knows very little.

Many should pause Thai bashing and look at their own backyard, at least for a couple of minutes.

Anything bad, it HAS to be Thai - Shameful

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

That selfish woman deserves nothing but abuse.  To put down her healthy dog, which she clearly didn't love, just to be cremated with her, is a disgusting act,  for which she deserves to be remembered only as the  most horrible of human beings.   I was horrified by the story. And who was the moron, or morons who carried out that stupid unnecessary act?  They also deserve all the abuse they can get.  

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Thais have religious issues with putting down even very sick dogs.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Sealbash said:

No they don’t. Another unfounded bar stool story.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Are you sure about that? I recall there have been several accounts here over the years by pet owners with sick pets being denied euthanasia.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Are you sure about that? I recall there have been several accounts here over the years by pet owners with sick pets being denied euthanasia.

I'm one of them. The vet offered to give me the needle to do the actual injection, but he wouldn't do it himself. Fortunately, Pepsi died relatively quickly after this discussion, and I didn't have to do the injection myself (which I would have, but with heavy heart).

• Like 1

A good dog is a dead dog.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

The Ancient Egyptians took it one step further. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The vet I use will only put your pet down if it has cancer, other than that she is brilliant 

Given the number of homeless dogs in Thailand, this was most certainly an act of mercy.

• Confused 1

Her dog who she spent years looking after, her decision. 

Probably would of spent the rest of its shitzu life moping about anyhows. 

• Sad 1