Thai Superpowers I wish I had.

1. The ability to sleep anywhere. Everyone has seen this Thai people have the amazing ability of sleeping anywhere. If they are on a crowded bus they can fall asleep next to a stranger. If they are a passenger riding on a motorbike they can fall asleep. I want this ability to take a nap sometimes but can't sleep unless I am in a comfortable bed.

2. Not sweating. Thai people have this amazing ability to not sweat or barely sweat when in some of the hottest conditions imaginable. I am always the ridiculous farang that is drenched in sweat looking like Shaq at the free throw line. Thought my body would adapt after being here for 8 years guess what it hasn't.

3.  Amazing flexibility. Thai people have this amazing ability to sit on the ground and eat. If I try to sit on the ground and eat it is just down right painful I need a chair. Thai people can sleep on the floor NOT me no way I would get any rest doing that. 

4. Not stressing out about everything. I get stressed out far too often Thai people have the mai pen rai attitude and don't let things irritate them like they do with me. I wish I could let things roll off a little better sometimes.

Let me know if you guys have seen some more Thai super powers!

Thanks!!!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing with the rubber bands and the little plastic bags.  No matter how many times Thai people have shown me how to fold the bags and wind the rubber bands, I can't get the hang of it.  I have an American friend who is married to a Thai guy and worked in his restaurant for years.  She has spent a couple hours showing me this trick and I still don't get it.  Even she admits, her folding of the bag isn't as neat as her MIL's.

Why is this important?  My friend and I are both in a Rotary club where the members collect lose change, count, bag it and bring it to Bangkok Bank for deposit.  Each bag is suppose to have 100 baht.  Yes, even the 10 baht coins are suppose to be in bags with just 10 coins.  I always get the stink eye at the bank when I bring the bags I've done where I use Scotch tape to seal the little bags instead of a rubber band.  One of the hazards of being the treasurer of the group.

4 minutes ago, NancyL said:

The thing with the rubber bands and the little plastic bags.  No matter how many times Thai people have shown me how to fold the bags and wind the rubber bands, I can't get the hang of it.  I have an American friend who is married to a Thai guy and worked in his restaurant for years.  She has spent a couple hours showing me this trick and I still don't get it.  Even she admits, her folding of the bag isn't as neat as her MIL's.

Why is this important?  My friend and I are both in a Rotary club where the members collect lose change, count, bag it and bring it to Bangkok Bank for deposit.  Each bag is suppose to have 100 baht.  Yes, even the 10 baht coins are suppose to be in bags with just 10 coins.  I always get the stink eye at the bank when I bring the bags I've done where I use Scotch tape to seal the little bags instead of a rubber band.  One of the hazards of being the treasurer of the group.

Also trying to get them off the bags of food is a nightmare.

Wife goes off to a local tamboon, comes home with food in small bags, try to get the bands off almost impossible, i just get a knife and cut the bag, then get ear ache from the wife for not keeping the rubber band.

22 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Wife goes off to a local tamboon, comes home with food in small bags, try to get the bands off almost impossible, i just get a knife and cut the bag, then get ear ache from the wife for not keeping the rubber band.

Buy her 1000 rubber bands for her next birthday, she will be suitably impressed????

25 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I have at least 6 pairs of scissors placed around my house. Hard to open anything without scissors or a knife, even a bag of crisps!!

The ability to overload the washing machine.

Overfill the rubbish bin, to the point where it's overflowing.

Boil <deleted> out of anything on the gas stove (and then complain that the gas bottle runs out too fast).

Throw away more bananas than we were given in the first place.

1. Yes, this would be an awesome ability. I can barely get 6 hours in my own bed.

2. Yeah, I can turn on the sweat like a tap. Makes me look like I am stressed or out of shape. 

3. I can squat and eat, but I cannot understand why you would choose to do it when there are places to sit. People come to our house and squat in the kitchen and eat together having a good old gab, while there is a 2.5-meter table with chairs just a couple steps away.

4. This one is not so simple. Sure they don't stress about safety, but they do stress about personal interactions, it is just that isn't cool to show it. They let it bottle up until a massive overreaction becomes unavoidable. It is not OK to have a disagreement, it is only OK to smile and look cool, or to go postal.

5. I can tie and untie the bags no problem. 

Have a phone conversation just by mouthing the words without any sound coming out.

Have a phone conversation whilst riding a motorbike.

Have a phone conversation and actually hear the other person over the incessant sound of Bangkok traffic.

Have a phone conversation and actually hear the other person over the sound of one's own motorbike engine.

Have phone conversations constantly all day and still find things to talk about.

I cut em off too !!

The gf always saves em , for what ? who knows !!

IMG_1771.JPG

I have all these superpowers given to me by a combo of a military career, and riding the subway trains in NYC daily...the only one I dont have is the ability to open plastic bags held with a rubber band, that someone else has brought up. If it was not for my wife opening them for me I would die of hunger.

i can sleep anywhere, usually in just a few minutes.

no stress, that took years to master, maybe longer.  

what i want?

ability to drive 4 km/h and then stop for about an hour before turning into a super wide road.   and then having people walk faster than you drive, but be ok with that.  

or walk around while having no idea anyone is around.

i waste a lot energy being a defensive driver, so i wish i just didn't think about anyone else around me.   

5 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

I have at least 6 pairs of scissors placed around my house. Hard to open anything without scissors or a knife, even a bag of crisps!!

Almost another topic Sticky W.  Trying to open those plastic battery containers from Lotus , 6 batteries wrapped in very hard plastic , a knife does it but try using the fingers and cut to ribbons  , bah !

5 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

1. Yes, this would be an awesome ability. I can barely get 6 hours in my own bed.

2. Yeah, I can turn on the sweat like a tap. Makes me look like I am stressed or out of shape. 

3. I can squat and eat, but I cannot understand why you would choose to do it when there are places to sit. People come to our house and squat in the kitchen and eat together having a good old gab, while there is a 2.5-meter table with chairs just a couple steps away.

4. This one is not so simple. Sure they don't stress about safety, but they do stress about personal interactions, it is just that isn't cool to show it. They let it bottle up until a massive overreaction becomes unavoidable. It is not OK to have a disagreement, it is only OK to smile and look cool, or to go postal.

5. I can tie and untie the bags no problem. 

Your number 3 , Just about every Thai that comes round my gaff sits on a chair but at the same time sits on a leg that gets folded beneath them , are they afraid of getting it stolen ? Chairs were designed for butts not legs.

I wish i had the superpower of being able to open the staples, that they love putting on plastic containers, without it shooting up under my fingernail.

That’s why thais are so thin , what with rubber bands or staples they barely have time to eat !!.................................or do they ?? [emoji848]

Archived