French police hunt suitcase bomber after blast in Lyon

rooster59

French police hunt suitcase bomber after blast in Lyon

800x800 (1).jpg

Police officers, fire fighters and medics are seen near the site of a suspected bomb attack in central Lyon, France May 24, 2019. REUTERS/Emmanuel Foudrot

LYON (Reuters) - French police were hunting a suspected suitcase bomber on Friday after an explosion in the central city of Lyon that injured 13 people, officials said.

The suspect was captured on security video leaving a bag in front of a bakery shortly before an explosion occurred at around 5:30 pm, police sources and local mayor Denis Broliquier said.

Most of those hurt were hospitalised for treatment to leg injuries that were described as light.

President Emmanuel Macron characterised the incident as an "attack" when the news broke during a live YouTube interview ahead of Sunday's European elections. "My thoughts are with the injured," he said.

Paris anti-terrorism prosecutors opened an investigation as police said they were treating the blast as an attempted homicide, and Interior Minister Christophe Castaner headed to the scene.

The partially masked suspect appeared in security camera footage wheeling a bicycle to the scene, before leaving a bag outside a branch of Brioche Doree, a popular bakery chain.

Police sources described the suspected attacker as a European or North African male, seen wearing beige Bermuda shorts, an army-green scarf or head wrap and dark glasses.

Soon after he left, the blast rained metal bolts on passersby in front of the premises on rue Victor Hugo, several blocks from the city's main station, according to police.

Police forces across France have been instructed to increase security in public places and event venues, Castaner said.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-25

My country is lost. Left it with no regrets.

Currently battling my ex Thai girlfriend in court, hopefully all clears well and I can still apply for Thai citizenship down the way.

16 minutes ago, tcp7 said:

Currently battling my ex Thai girlfriend in court, hopefully all clears well and I can still apply for Thai citizenship down the way.

Good luck with that. If you don't want to be French anymore there are a lot more "easier" countries to obtain citizenship than Thailand. 

26 minutes ago, tcp7 said:

Same as England, completely down the pan now. :sad:

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

Most of Europe no? All in the noble cause of PC correctness and equality. Surely there has to be some tolerance and balance in this madness. Not just one extreme to another. 

5 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Good luck with that. If you don't want to be French anymore there are a lot more "easier" countries to obtain citizenship than Thailand. 

5 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Thai citizenship,,,,,,,,you will be waiting a long time for that!????????

11 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Same as The Netherlands as well, though I feel The Netherlands still isn't quite as bad off as countries like Sweden, England and France. But it's only a matter of time.

No surprise, again… 

Three suspects from the same family circle

The first suspect is a 24-year-old man of Algerian nationality, IT student living with his mother, he was arrested on Monday at 9:55 am while boarding a bus near his home in the 7th arrondissement of Lyon.

https://www.france24.com/en/20190527-suspect-arrested-lyon-package-bomb-13-people-wounded

Police knew already on Saturday that the suspect was Algerian (and illegally living in France), but no one spoke about this as Sunday was election day. Pictures were shown as blurred but were actually perfectly clear for the police.

Macron and his henchmen are liars, the sooner he will go, the better for France and Europe.

Archived