Doctors warn of ‘reefer madness’ as people react badly to cannabis medicines

rooster59

A lot of "doctors" have their practices subsidized by pharmaceutical companies which in no way want this type of competition for their wares. If it isn't taught in medical schools as an alternative treatment it will never be truly accepted. In Canada, where it's legal, is still not even a consideration with most physicians as a course of treatment. Most foreigners will never get a legal opportunity to see if it's effective for them unless they're in the last stages of a terminal disease, and even that is not guaranteed.  

How do “doctors” have their practices subsidized by pharmaceutical companies?

It’s not offered as a course of treatment by most “doctors”, because most “doctors” are not quacks.

Yes, smoking grass makes a lot of people feel better.

No, smoking grass does not cure cancer or any else.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, mogandave said:

How do “doctors” have their practices subsidized by pharmaceutical companies?

It’s not offered as a course of treatment by most “doctors”, because most “doctors” are not quacks.

Yes, smoking grass makes a lot of people feel better.

No, smoking grass does not cure cancer or any else.

think opioids..

About half of U.S. doctors received payments from the pharmaceutical and medical device industries in 2015, amounting to $2.4 billion, a new study reports. Those payments and gifts very likely encourage doctors to prescribe pricey brand-name drugs and devices pushed by sales representatives, a second study argue

Perks such as payments, free meals and speaking fees may be strongly influencing some doctors to prescribe opioids, researchers reported Monday. They found more evidence that a few doctors who prescribe the largest amounts of the painkillers also got the most attention from drug companies.May 14, 2018

think opioids..

About half of U.S. doctors received payments from the pharmaceutical and medical device industries in 2015, amounting to $2.4 billion, a new study reports. Those payments and gifts very likely encourage doctors to prescribe pricey brand-name drugs and devices pushed by sales representatives, a second study argue

Perks such as payments, free meals and speaking fees may be strongly influencing some doctors to prescribe opioids, researchers reported Monday. They found more evidence that a few doctors who prescribe the largest amounts of the painkillers also got the most attention from drug companies.May 14, 2018

With over a million doctors in the US that’s less than $2,500 each, not much of a subsidy for someone earning $200k plus.

It also includes medical devices, which account for the lion’s share of kick-backs.

It is illegal for doctors in the US to take payments from pharmaceutical companies to prescribe drugs.

Spark-up another one loadie...

22 minutes ago, mogandave said:

With over a million doctors in the US that’s less than $2,500 each, not much of a subsidy for someone earning $200k plus.

It also includes medical devices, which account for the lion’s share of kick-backs.

It is illegal for doctors in the US to take payments from pharmaceutical companies to prescribe drugs.

Spark-up another one loadie...

Nice try with the creative mathematics but there is just too much info out there that proves you wrong and obviously you're willfully blind to the overabundance of available facts. Loadie? lol, what are you, two?

Smoking pot or hash can definitely trigger mental illness in people who have a history of mental disease running in their family. That’s why the UK reclassified it from a class 5 to a class 2 drugs about 10 years ago, but the percentage of people this is actually happening to is fairly small. Happened to a friend of mine, though. He started hearing voices which disappeared after he stopped smoking. 

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

think opioids..

Sure - blame the doctors for opioid addiction, blame car manufacturers for road fatalities, Phillip Morse for cigarettes and lung cancer, just please blame someone so I know it is not my fault.  Did the doctors make them go to the pharmacy and fill the prescription? I dont think so.  Masking your pain with drugs is not treatment.  

Cannabis is not for everyone, but it can be a remedy for some. Should be available for those who want it and can afford it.

I would prefer to try these oils for a change over opiates as a pain reliever.  Not sure it can match the effectiveness, perhaps as an alternative, it could suffice. I don't believe if used in controlled doses, psychosis beyond what alcohol induces would be an issue. That's just from casually studying ~10,000 credible medical reports.  NPR summary on pot!

RE - and this can only be done under a doctor’s watch

If smoked, it will be many high doctors ...

10 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Can definitely  bring on paranoia and psychosis.

Nausea, vomiting, dizziness sound like first time smoker symptom? No one died or ran around with a knife?

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A 28-year-old man recounted his own experience, in which he placed 30 drops of CBD oil instead of following the doctor’s advice to treat insomnia by taking no more than two drops at a time.

Er, dude?

I rest my case....

What a ridiculous bunch of crap!

Thailand has shown that it should not be allowed to have or even talk about something as important to the medical world as cannabis. If anybody in the world actually listened to or respected "Thai experts", Thailand could set the civilized progress of cannabis-based medicine back decades through the ignorance and paranoia of those with power and authority. 

Fortunately, the intelligent members of the global community know the dismal state of the Thai education system and the amount of trust the average Thai has in unproven folklore and anecdotal information, never seeking the truth or a reasonable understanding of the world. 

If any place on the planet can screw up the use of such a safe and beneficial substance, it's Thailand. Always an amazing place, but rarely for good reasons. 

Guest Jerry787

Big Pharma on counterattack

- find us 1 sole case of who ever passed away for Cannabis use ? Answer NO ONE !
- cannabis extract such THC, CBD, are used for so many pathologies, indeed the Big Pharma sponsored spoke-man said only 4 pathologies... 
- additionally - 
Unlike THC, CBD isn't known to cause psychoactive effects, and is therefore attractive to those who want to avoid the high but who believe there are other benefits of CBD, said Sara Ward, a pharmacologist at Temple University in Philadelphia

lets see if people or big pharma will win the "cannabis war"

15 hours ago, robblok said:

The Thai doctors are onto something, I mean we got people going totally crazy in The Netherlands and in the US states that allow canabis to be used you see far more violence and crazy stuff. So they are spot on.... wait... that is not the case. 

Reefer Madness... the anti weed propaganda that did so much damage and is totally fake thanks to the US. The countries that liberised weed don't have extra problems so why do Thais think they need to use this scare tactic. 

Anywone who for instance would take weed instead of alcohol or meth would be seing a huge improvement in health and mental health. Not to mention a sharp drop in violence.

I sometimes wonder when the dinosaurs that are against weed will die out. 

Hello, I don't know about the totally crazy from cannabis usage. But what I can attest to is the craziness I get when consuming alcohol, and from others Ive witnessed. Don't make a comment here unless you have knowledge. 

2 hours ago, Mikeasq60 said:

Hello, I don't know about the totally crazy from cannabis usage. But what I can attest to is the craziness I get when consuming alcohol, and from others Ive witnessed. Don't make a comment here unless you have knowledge. 

Roblock does have excellent knowledge in this matter, he was reacting to the story with sarcasm.

Whenever I read proper gander like this I reflect on the amount of people who die of Cannabis.....oh! wait there is NONE. then I reflect on the amount of people who die due to Alchohol and Pharmaceutical drugs and it runs into the hundreds of thousands. I would suggest that the few cases's of people having adverse reactions  is due to the hospitals lack of understanding the dosing of patients and the fact that the oil is U.K crap.! We in Australia can only get the oil that is commercially manufactured in the U.K, that is very expensive ($450 prescription per small bottle) and not very organic in the way it's produced. I have seen with my own eyes it completely cureing people and in one case a man I know with Liver cancer in stage 4, I don't presume to think that it's the magic bullet for everything and I realise that it's in it's infancy in treatment and therefore they will make many mistakes in dosing before they get it right, also I presume there will be a very small amount of people that do have adverse effects from ingesting it , however on the whole it's helping many people in serious trouble, make it easier to obtain and it shouldn't be very expensive.    

18 hours ago, robertson468 said:

BEWARE canabis.  My Grandson, in his 20s decided like so many young people to take canabis socially and ended up mentally very ill with psychosis, which lasted for nearly 2 years.  Do not play around with this stuff.  Quite often you do not know what strength this stuff is and really bu***rs up the wiring of your brain!

Your grandson would have had predisposition towards a mental illness. Please be aware that the medicinal cannabis  is is a different strain than what people use to get stoned.

Your grandson may also been using large amounts of cannabis to induce the psychotic episodes.

please educate yourself about the situation of medical uses and doses

Your grandson would have had predisposition towards a mental illness. Please be aware that the medicinal cannabis  is is a different strain than what people use to get stoned.
Your grandson may also been using large amounts of cannabis to induce the psychotic episodes.

If pot-heads weren’t so sad, I’d say the “medicinal” marijuana farce is hilarious.

Go by one of the “clinics” and look at the “doctors” selling prescriptions and the “patients” buying and it will show you every thing you need to know about it.

A relative of a friend here tried to use some Cannabis oil belonging to another relative and ended up in hospital for 2 days. Part of the problem is prescription advice is poor so people take too much. Also wonder at the current level of quality control being applied in Thailand ....

On 5/25/2019 at 8:48 AM, RJRS1301 said:

Smoking dope can sometimes do that if there is an underlaying mental health problem, but need to smoke a lot and constantly

The "medicinal" CBD does not have the psychotropic ingredient, different type of cannabis  

Several heavy smokers I knew in my 20's are long dead from the same cause- brain hemorrhages. If anyone thinks it does not present serious health problems they are kidding themselves.

5 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Rather like saying people who  smoked cigarettes and got lung cancer had a pre disposition, just an excuse with no evidence at all

Archived