Changing visa inside Thailand + getting an extension of stay based on foreign spouse studying in Thailand

Good morning.

My spouse's application for a Non-O dependent visa was rejected at the Thai consulate in Hanoi. We had a complete set of paperwork on us, but according to their policy, they don't issue Non-O visas following spouse based on spouse's enrollment in a private education course. I got a single-entry Non-Ed visa extendable in Thailand for up to 1 year. My spouse is here on a single-entry tourist visa he was offered instead at the consulate. I understand that it's still possible to change his tourist visa to a Non-O visa following spouse INSIDE Thailand and get him the extension when I get my own extension. Can someone confirm this please, and explain what documents I need? I'd appreciate a link to the relevant section of the immigration office website. I tried to find it myself but the English wording is too confusing.

Thank you so much.

The embassy was incorrect (apparently their policy) about not issuing the non-o visa for a family member of a person attending school. There is no restriction based upon the type of school.

Your spouse should apply again at a nearby embassy or consulate such as Vientiane after you get your extension of stay and can provide a letter from the school requesting their visa.

Immigration will not do a change of visa status to get a non immigrant visa entry for a family member attending a school.

I see. Thanks for the information! It’s not possible to get the extension inside Thailand because immigration doesn’t normally issue one, or is it because there won’t be enough time on his permission of stay?

Either way, what documents will be required when it comes to extension?

I suppose a copy of my passport info page, visa page, entry & extension page and arrival card will be required, plus a copy of our marriage certificate. Did I miss anything? Do I need to get the marriage certificate translated to Thai and certify it at the embassy and then legalize it at the MFA?

11 minutes ago, bangkokbabe said:

I see. Thanks for the information! It’s not possible to get the extension inside Thailand because immigration doesn’t normally issue one, or is it because there won’t be enough time on his permission of stay?

They will do the extension but they will not issue the non immigrant visa (category O) required to apply for the extension.

12 minutes ago, bangkokbabe said:

Either way, what documents will be required when it comes to extension?

I suppose a copy of my passport info page, visa page, entry & extension page and arrival card will be required, plus a copy of our marriage certificate. Did I miss anything? Do I need to get the marriage certificate translated to Thai and certify it at the embassy and then legalize it at the MFA?

To apply for a non-o visa at a embassy or consulate only your marriage certificate in English and copies of your passport photo page, visa and extension will be required and letter from the school.

To apply for the extension your marriage certificate will have to be legalized by your embassy or in your home country. No translation or certification of it is needed if it is in English.

General requirements for the extension is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_11

The op is asking if a setv can be changed to a Non O visa inside Thailand at immigration yes or no. I was under the impression once married while staying in Thailand under a TV one could convert it at immigration for a visa

Edited by riclag

10 hours ago, riclag said:

I was under the impression once married while staying in Thailand under a TV one could convert it at immigration for a visa

The non immigrant visa is only issued for those qualifying for certain extensions of stay. For a family member of a person attending school it is not possible.

If married to or the parent of Thai is possible to do the change at immigration.

• Thanks 1