Chinese tourist arrivals to Thailand plunge in April

rooster59

Chinese tourist arrivals to Thailand plunge in April

download.jpg

Thailand saw a 3.31% rise in tourist arrivals in April from a year earlier, after a 0.69% decline in March, the tourism ministry said on Friday.

The 3.2 million tourists in April spent about 164 billion baht ($5.15 billion), up 3.9% from a year earlier.

Visitors from China, Thailand’s biggest source of tourists, dropped 8.89% in April from a year earlier after falling 1.87% in March.

Foreign tourist receipts account for about 12 percent of Thailand’s gross domestic product. 

($1 = 31.86 baht) (Reporting by Orathai Sriring Editing by Jacqueline Wong)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-25

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Thailand saw a 3.31% rise in tourist arrivals in April from a year earlier

7 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Visitors from China, Thailand’s biggest source of tourists, dropped 8.89% in April from a year earlier

So who is coming, North Koreans?

It just doesn't make sense to me that after an 8.89% drop of the biggest source of tourists from China there was still a 3.31% rise in tourist arrivals which would mean an overall increase of 12.2% ?

1 minute ago, keith101 said:

It just doesn't make sense to me that after an 8.89% drop of the biggest source of tourists from China there was still a 3.31% rise in tourist arrivals which would mean an overall increase of 12.2% ?

TAT doesn't expect people to have the intelligence to do the calculations. I honestly believe half the world could get wiped out and visitor numbers would still rise.

5 minutes ago, keith101 said:

And with 38 million on OA visa, surely there must be like a billion tourists coming a year?

TAT will be sure to report Chinese tourists rocket in May,

What I would like to know,maybe they can correctly count

the number of tourists that enter Thailand, but how much

they spend ? how do they calculate that.

regards Worgeordie

Hard to tell. I was innocently walking past a restaurant the other day when a busload of Chinese disembarked. It must have been their feeding time. Awful racket, no order, complete chaos. Are these numbers really down? We can only hope.

I see stuff like this all the time here. It's called polishing a trd. Often stories about the economy etc I need to read two or three times and still not clear. Like someone mentioned how could they possibly measure spending, particularly from one specific tourist group. Tourists down but spending up? Of course it is. Talk about spin. Have a look at some of the economic stories. Everything on the up, happiest place in the world etc then they list the growth, employment etc figures and all negative. They tell lies like small children blaming the man from the moon coming down and stealing the missing cookies. It seems to me like at some point in the future here the bubble has to burst. 

19 minutes ago, keith101 said:

8.89% less of the Chinese market does not equate to 8.89% drop of all tourists from all countries... so a 3.3% overall increase does not require a 12.2% increase. It'd be a lot easier if they said the % of Chinese tourists as it relates to 100% of tourists from all countries.

No wonder, the Baht is a disaster, cost of living has gone up 30% or more in the last 2 to 3 years,

there are more cops in Pattaya than in the whole of Thailand, and so forth...

There are other beautiful countries to visit and cheaper, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, etc..

18 minutes ago, wisperone said:

And we know who will be blamed in the headlines????

Will be because of that good looking pesky young Future Forward party leader. He's currently getting whipped for everything ????????

50 minutes ago, keith101 said:

That's correct, no question at all....TAT logic works in a different way than anywhere else in the world.

I dont care what the figures say all I can tell you here on the ground this year is very quiet last year all low season mostly Chinese this year nothing many people will suffer this year I think especially in the south of Phuket 

I have to agree with chip buddy, been coming here since 2002 . recently visited Phuket,Pattaya,and Bangkok and have never seen it so quiet. For me it was great, but the future looks grim.

The 3.2 million tourists in April spent about 164 billion baht ($5.15 billion), up 3.9% from a year earlier.

If theycant count the real numbers of arrivals how in hell do they work who spends what??

Putting aside the waffle and numbers , glad to see they at least acknowledge there is a drop.

on another note , Pattaya big boys held a meeting yesterday where they resolved to continue crackdowns on hotels without license (even though licenses are not being issued) but to also go raid restaurants , bars and companies with foreign ownership .

That sure would help stimulate tourism and investment ????

28 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

Well that’s pleasant.

Maybe the number of tour busses that clog the roads in Pattaya will go down too.

Already has, I just mentioned it on another thread . Hardly any around. 3 Chinese hotels that I know and see are empty , not a single bus .

pattaya tai road use to be parking lot for them, every morning all you saw was buses, now you be lucky to see more than 3 

in the past the thailand cultural center mrt station would get packed with chinese tourists leaving the "train night market" barely standing room. recently much less and empty seats available.

chinese are not stupid and dont like to be cheated and scammed and they do not forget like thais.  likely choose other countries over thailand

I am surprised the figures show levels so low.... Chiang mai certainly appeared to have had a very significant decrease of Chinese tourists  when walking around the areas they are normally visiting... .. Perhaps due to the staycation in China. Why bother to come to see pollution on one country when they have less at home!

3 hours ago, keith101 said:

Maybe what they intended to announce was that in April Chinese arrivals dropped by 8.89 individuals (8 normal-sized ones and one who turned out a little short). The % sign slipped in by mistake.

3 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

So who is coming, North Koreans?

If I had to guess, overnight Malaysian at southern border counted as tourists during their short time night escapades. 500b a pop net profit for Thais, I suppose.

Archived