Jump to content
BANGKOK 20 June 2019 16:05
rooster59

Chinese tourist arrivals to Thailand plunge in April

Recommended Posts

They have polluted air at home.  Why would Chiang Mai bad air taste any better ?  Numbers from TAT probably come from astrologers or bingo nights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

And with 38 million on OA visa, surely there must be like a billion tourists coming a year?

And all required to bring 20,000Baht into the kingdom+100Baht suggested health insurance. Add all that up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

TAT will be sure to report Chinese tourists rocket in May,

What I would like to know,maybe they can correctly count

the number of tourists that enter Thailand, but how much

they spend ? how do they calculate that.

 

regards Worgeordie

its what the cashier says.......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, keith101 said:

It just doesn't make sense to me that after an 8.89% drop of the biggest source of tourists from China there was still a 3.31% rise in tourist arrivals which would mean an overall increase of 12.2% ?

Thai mathematics, courtesy of TAT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, keith101 said:

It just doesn't make sense to me that after an 8.89% drop of the biggest source of tourists from China there was still a 3.31% rise in tourist arrivals which would mean an overall increase of 12.2% ?

As we know neither translation nor calculation are their strongest skills so we need to take it for what it is ... :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

don,t know about the chinese,but have just returned and couldn,t believe how quite it was nor how much i spent,vietnam will be graced by myself and my dong next trip out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, keith101 said:

It just doesn't make sense to me that after an 8.89% drop of the biggest source of tourists from China there was still a 3.31% rise in tourist arrivals which would mean an overall increase of 12.2% ?

The figures are probably based on the same new criteria for defining a kilo with one big exception, it's wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Moo 2 said:

No wonder, the Baht is a disaster, cost of living has gone up 30% or more in the last 2 to 3 years,

there are more cops in Pattaya than in the whole of Thailand, and so forth...

There are other beautiful countries to visit and cheaper, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, etc..

you cannot blame that on tourism that a government problem 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

That's correct, no question at all....TAT logic works in a different way than anywhere else in the world.

You always have to remember that basic sums are a no no for Thai's, so it's much easier to make numbers up.  Just pick up two items for 20 Baht each in any shop and watch the girl at the till reach for her calculator !

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well they've been pushing and pushing maths at school for years. At last success. So tourism is up. GDP is good and there is absolutely NO manipulation of the Thai Baht.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I see stuff like this all the time here. It's called polishing a trd. Often stories about the economy etc I need to read two or three times and still not clear. Like someone mentioned how could they possibly measure spending, particularly from one specific tourist group. Tourists down but spending up? Of course it is. Talk about spin. Have a look at some of the economic stories. Everything on the up, happiest place in the world etc then they list the growth, employment etc figures and all negative. They tell lies like small children blaming the man from the moon coming down and stealing the missing cookies. It seems to me like at some point in the future here the bubble has to burst. 

You mean it wasn't the man from the moon who stole my cookies ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I dont care what the figures say all I can tell you here on the ground this year is very quiet last year all low season mostly Chinese this year nothing many people will suffer this year I think especially in the south of Phuket 
I am up country and its like everything fell off a cliff 6-8 months ago. Mrs has a small food business and down 80%. Everyone we talk to in the same boat

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

TAT doesn't expect people to have the intelligence to do the calculations. I honestly believe half the world could get wiped out and visitor numbers would still rise.

I'm actually surprised - no, VERY surprised that the following statement is attributed to "the tourism ministry" :-

 

"Visitors from China, Thailand’s biggest source of tourists, dropped 8.89% in April from a year earlier after falling 1.87% in March."

 

Better keep looking after the farang expats for a little bit longer then!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Well they've been pushing and pushing maths at school for years. At last success. So tourism is up. GDP is good and there is absolutely NO manipulation of the Thai Baht.

You forgot about the landslide majority (23%, after making millions of votes invalid) of the current government

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...