Chinese tourist arrivals to Thailand plunge in April

rooster59

When you think about the fact that the cultures of Thailand and China are so familiar, many Chinese tourists want to expand their horizons and see other parts of the world. However, don't kid yourself. China is the new power and influence in Asia. Their massive Chinese population means there will be an endless supply of new tourists coming to Thailand to check things out.

Where they spend their tourist money in Thailand will be different than what the bars, clubs, and massage parlors are used to. Also, Thai women have many more economic options, more wealth, more awareness, and more education than ever before. The economic lure of western expats is no longer seen as their best option for financial stability. That's why the Thai Government is stepping up its effort to make it harder for white westerners to live there for extended periods of time. 

The bottom line? It is irrelevant whether Chinese tourist arrivals rose or fell during a specific month. (The numbers mentioned in the article didn't mesh anyway.☺) Chinese tourism will get consistently stronger.  

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, tcp7 said:

The problem is I can understand why they would want to get rid of the bad apples but just yesterday the pigs (read: traffic cops) were at Ambassador on the way between Pattaya and Sattahip, guess what they were doing?

They were using racial profiling.

If you were Thai and drove a motorcycle without a helmet on, without a valid insurance they'd let you go.

However if you were a white foreigner they would stop you at 100% then try to extort you 400 bahts for the most ludicrous thing even if you had your helmet on.

I am getting seriously fed up of getting constantly shat on just because I'm a foreigner. Plain and simple.

First it was the visa runs, then it was the education visas tightening, then it became the 400k/800kb THB fixated in a Thai bank account, now it's the +50 years old mandatory insurance, added with the dual Thai/farang pricing and the racial profiling... One begs to ask? WHAT'S NEXT?!? Will I soon have to donate and kidney or a lung to be able to live peacefully in Thailand?!?!?

boo hoo

Complain to Prayuth, and the TAT. It was their idea to become totally dependent on India and China, for tourism. It was a disastrous move, an inane idea, and has decimated the tourism industry, cost hundreds of thousands of people their jobs, if not millions, and reduced the earnings of those that remain in the industry drastically. In the long run, discouraging Western tourism, and not paying any regard, or showing any respect toward the ex-pat community, will go down in history as one of the greatest mistakes of this generation of incompetent fools and nitwits. 

12 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

You always have to remember that basic sums are a no no for Thai's, so it's much easier to make numbers up.  Just pick up two items for 20 Baht each in any shop and watch the girl at the till reach for her calculator !

Then calculate the change

12 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

You always have to remember that basic sums are a no no for Thai's, so it's much easier to make numbers up.  Just pick up two items for 20 Baht each in any shop and watch the girl at the till reach for her calculator !

In the GoGo bar I used to have, I remember watching the cashier accepting a 1,000 Baht note for a 100 Baht bill, then use the calculator to work out the change. That's someone solely dealing with cash - day in, day out.

9 hours ago, tcp7 said:

The problem is I can understand why they would want to get rid of the bad apples but just yesterday the pigs (read: traffic cops) were at Ambassador on the way between Pattaya and Sattahip, guess what they were doing?

They were using racial profiling.

If you were Thai and drove a motorcycle without a helmet on, without a valid insurance they'd let you go.

However if you were a white foreigner they would stop you at 100% then try to extort you 400 bahts for the most ludicrous thing even if you had your helmet on.

I am getting seriously fed up of getting constantly shat on just because I'm a foreigner. Plain and simple.

First it was the visa runs, then it was the education visas tightening, then it became the 400k/800kb THB fixated in a Thai bank account, now it's the +50 years old mandatory insurance, added with the dual Thai/farang pricing and the racial profiling... One begs to ask? WHAT'S NEXT?!? Will I soon have to donate and kidney or a lung to be able to live peacefully in Thailand?!?!?

So why were the foreigners not wearing a helmet when it is the law to do so when riding a motorcycle.

10 hours ago, tcp7 said:

Full face helmet with tinted visor, long shirt and trousers, gloves.

Then they won't know you're a foreigner.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Nah, I bet you'll be staying in lane and stopping at red lights. Dead giveaway.

On 5/25/2019 at 9:45 AM, worgeordie said:

TAT will be sure to report Chinese tourists rocket in May,

What I would like to know,maybe they can correctly count

the number of tourists that enter Thailand, but how much

they spend ? how do they calculate that.

regards Worgeordie

Consult a long dead monk?

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Complain to Prayuth, and the TAT. It was their idea to become totally dependent on India and China, for tourism. It was a disastrous move, an inane idea, and has decimated the tourism industry, cost hundreds of thousands of people their jobs, if not millions, and reduced the earnings of those that remain in the industry drastically. In the long run, discouraging Western tourism, and not paying any regard, or showing any respect toward the ex-pat community, will go down in history as one of the greatest mistakes of this generation of incompetent fools and nitwits. 

Amen to that. And while we're at it, let's not forget about Big Joke and the other xenophobic nationalist pricks.

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Not disagreeing but do you have some specific numbers here on the 100, 000's  lost jobs and reduced earnings of those remaining in the decimated tourism industry ?  Not hearsay but first hand information please.  

21 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

The Chinese are preparing for the New Long March per their president. As long as the trade tensions continue, they will likely retreat into the comfort of saving and not spending money. Silver linings 

Ah, another Great Leap Forward coming right up. Commies are commies no matter what.

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thank Kobkarn, the Destroyress of Thailand. 

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:21 AM, Moo 2 said:

No wonder, the Baht is a disaster, cost of living has gone up 30% or more in the last 2 to 3 years,

there are more cops in Pattaya than in the whole of Thailand, and so forth...

There are other beautiful countries to visit and cheaper, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, etc..

Cost of living in Thailand depends on how much the value of you countries money is value against the Baht.

Western currencies have nearly halved in value since 2008. The £ then was 79B/£ now 41.

22 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Cost of living in Thailand depends on how much the value of you countries money is value against the Baht.

Western currencies have nearly halved in value since 2008. The £ then was 79B/£ now 41.

The cost of living is rapidly rising for Thais- they don't use dollars!

The Chinese are feeling the pinch now.  There are problems world wide related to the global economy.

On 5/25/2019 at 6:55 PM, hotchilli said:

So they have the ability to work-out these figures from only last months arrivals but cannot work-out who won the election back in March?

They use the exact same formula.

What result do they desire (R) = a few fabricated numbers / a few more + any number + X 

X = whatever number to achieve R

It's quiet simple. Just like most of us new the election results years ago. Well not the results but the outcome

19 hours ago, RickTik said:

The bottom line? It is irrelevant whether Chinese tourist arrivals rose or fell during a specific month. (The numbers mentioned in the article didn't mesh anyway.☺) Chinese tourism will get consistently stronger.  

No, they will crash and burn way harder than Russians and Japanese did.

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You will let a 100 year old lady selling stuff to earn living cross the road... and bum = that's a farang, catch him, catch him if you can

6 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

No, they will crash and burn way harder than Russians and Japanese did.

The Long March ... shortage of women in China - excess male population ... Chinese strength in economy and military ... Chinese investment in Southeast Asia, particularly Thailand ... remembrance of the opium wars ... radical racism and feminism promoted through the media ... it's a new day in Thailand and around the world. China is not going anywhere.

I tried to buy tickets for the April holiday. Normal cost for flying from China to Bangkok is about 1500 rmb round trip and a average 4 hour flight time. During this past holiday the cost for flights was 5600 rmb with average flight times 11 hours or more. It was cheaper to fly to America. The airlines use the holidays to rob perspective customers. Why would any Chinese want to pay such exhorbantly high prices when for the majority of them seek the cheapest destinations.  

Archived