I tried a search using K1,. K1 visa

I get zero results for K1?   Surely there must be K1 USA visa threads?

I have read much about the visas and I guess it may be time for me to start a K1 for a special lady.   I think given all the craziness in Thailand living in USA would be my best plan

I do have concerns. I have read  the warning to never bring a Thai woman to your country.    

I read where you need income of 125% of poverty level or assets or some combination.   I am 59 in July and have been unemployed, semi retired or what you want to call it for a few years so I don't have income.  What asset levels are they going to want to see?   I do plan to begin a rental income stream soon that I think will be at or above the minimum Income for my state.  How long will I need this minimum Income stream for if it is used?  I think they ask for 3 years tax returns.  

A few  more questions.

Is the timeline still about 10 months? What are  the most important things they look at?

I have read much about the visas and I guess it may be time for me to start a K1 for a special lady.   I think given all the craziness in Thailand living in USA would be my best plan
  I do have concerns. I have read  the warning to never bring a Thai woman to your country.    
I read where you need income of 125% of poverty level or assets or some combination.   I am 59 in July and have been unemployed, semi retired or what you want to call it for a few years so I don't have income.  What asset levels are they going to want to see?   I do plan to begin a rental income stream soon that I think will be at or above the minimum Income for my state.  How long will I need this minimum Income stream for if it is used?  I think they ask for 3 years tax returns.  
A few  more questions.
Is the timeline still about 10 months? What are  the most important things they look at?

Basic US tourist visa is a B 1 or 2

Sent from my SM-J250F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A few  more questions.

You might want to consider this. If you don't live near a large Asian community where they have an Asian market you're gonna have issues. I'm hesitant to bring my wife with me for a 3 week vacation and I live near an Asian market place. The reason I'm hesitant is due to the weather. When it dips below 70 in the morning my wife dresses like an Eskimo not sure how she would handle 40s or 50s. One more thing I've noticed the US Embassy has been turning down visas for wives at a more noticeable rate.
I recommend you coming here first. It's not all that difficult just requires leaving the country every 60 days to get a new stamp. After you get married you get a one year visa but still have to leave every 90 days. Yes it's a hassle but if she's worth it shouldn't be a problem.

I have visited Thailand 8 times in the last 38 months. Maybe 6 months total.  I've traveled all over Thailand.  For this lady 5 separate visits in the last 16 months.   So I'm not rushing into this.  She was denied a tourist visa.   I imagine denied due to insufficient funds ( or lack of debt)  plus to good looking.  And no real reason to return.    Yes it is cool in Utah and not to much Asian food or  big Thai community.  No street food a short walk away

But fresh air mostly except during inversions.   I'm just not sold on living in such a 3 Rd World country where I can do any hobby jobs,  And it's to hot in Thailand for me. .  If I was a monger at heart or didn't live in such a nice location I could see the attraction Thailand offers.  

Yes this is a long scary road.   I need to trust my guts.  I guess I start with  form I 129f. 

I just can't believe no other threads about K1 visa on TV. 

1 hour ago, bumofdabeach said:

Only problem with a fiancee visa is you must get married within 60 days

I think it's 90 days but i get the message.   Why marry with so many choices on a daily basis living in Thailand.    I know I'm in BKK now and have been to SOI cowboy and we did Nana last night.   Just looking at all the women on the BTS line one has to wonder how many wished they had a nice man like me.  Probably more than I could imagine.  

I have visited Thailand 8 times in the last 38 months. Maybe 6 months total.  I've traveled all over Thailand.  For this lady 5 separate visits in the last 16 months.   So I'm not rushing into this.  She was denied a tourist visa.   I imagine denied due to insufficient funds ( or lack of debt)  plus to good looking.  And no real reason to return.    Yes it is cool in Utah and not to much Asian food or  big Thai community.  No street food a short walk away
  But fresh air mostly except during inversions.   I'm just not sold on living in such a 3 Rd World country where I can do any hobby jobs,  And it's to hot in Thailand for me. .  If I was a monger at heart or didn't live in such a nice location I could see the attraction Thailand offers.  
Yes this is a long scary road.   I need to trust my guts.  I guess I start with  form I 129f. 
I just can't believe no other threads about K1 visa on TV. 
I'm talking about food stores catering to the Asian population. I just looked on the shelf there are 5 different fish sauces lol. Utah is indeed beautiful but dang cold in the winter. I used to live in cedar city. Good to know you're not rushing into this but it has gotten very difficult to get a US visa in the last year or so even for spouses

That no real reason to return is a huge factor.

I'm talking about food stores catering to the Asian population. I just looked on the shelf there are 5 different fish sauces lol. Utah is indeed beautiful but dang cold in the winter. I used to live in cedar city. Good to know you're not rushing into this but it has gotten very difficult to get a US visa in the last year or so even for spouses

There is an Asian food store about 10 km away from my house.  But for example the lemon grass is giant and old looking, durian when they have it is 20$/ kg.  They don't have the correct mushrooms and I never see those green leaves Thai cook with.  They have lime leaves.  

And she would not get a green card for 6-8 months.    Suburban life in Utah with extra isolation due to Mormon vs non Mormon issues is a big worry.    

3 hours ago, Elkski said:

There is an Asian food store about 10 km away from my house.  But for example the lemon grass is giant and old looking, durian when they have it is 20$/ kg.  They don't have the correct mushrooms and I never see those green leaves Thai cook with.  They have lime leaves.  

And she would not get a green card for 6-8 months.    Suburban life in Utah with extra isolation due to Mormon vs non Mormon issues is a big worry.    

I wouldn't worry about the food stuff, least of your worries, pretty much everything can be purchased online anyway.

For the affidavit of support, since you have no income, you can use assets which could be liquidated. Those assets need to be 3x the 125% of poverty level, which I think is about $24k, so you need to show assets of at least $72k.

On the 3 years of tax returns, make sure you use transcripts, not copies of your filed 1040's

Oh 3 x. Poverty level in assets. Good  I can do that.  

Transcripts of tax returns?  You mean have them printed out by my accountant?   The idea of picking one person to commit to is a big thing and I seem to have different thoughts on this.   

I have talked to her about a prenup.  When is the correct time for one?  I guess I need to see a lawyer if I'm serious about this.  

7 hours ago, Elkski said:

Oh 3 x. Poverty level in assets. Good  I can do that.  

Transcripts of tax returns?  You mean have them printed out by my accountant?   The idea of picking one person to commit to is a big thing and I seem to have different thoughts on this.   

I have talked to her about a prenup.  When is the correct time for one?  I guess I need to see a lawyer if I'm serious about this.  

No, tax transcripts you obtain directly from the IRS, akin to requesting your college transcripts.

Google, 'how to obtain IRS transcripts' it'll give you a link.

You can request them online and you'll get them in minute's

As for the prenup stuff, that's totally outside my experience, so a local attorney in Utah is the way to go.

But as for timing, it'll have be sometime within the 90 days after she enters on the K1 and when you have to get married

One last thing, and I'm not implying anything.

But one thing that can be a roadblock is the police clearance.

Unfortunately many Thai ladies have tussled with the law.

Prostitution and drugs are the usual killer to obtaining a clean police clearance for the Visa.

I have no idea about her past, but before you embark on this might be worth a Frank discussion

Screenshot_20190526-092756.jpg

I have inquired about this with her.  But I will do so again, thank you.  You can never communicate with a Thai woman to much or clearly enough.  

Do I need to worry about family members criminal history?   I even wondered if red vs yellow shirt family history matters in tourist visas.   In this day of big brother if I can think it it is happening is my beliefs.  

56 minutes ago, Elkski said:

I have inquired about this with her.  But I will do so again, thank you.  You can never communicate with a Thai woman to much or clearly enough.  

Do I need to worry about family members criminal history?   I even wondered if red vs yellow shirt family history matters in tourist visas.   In this day of big brother if I can think it it is happening is my beliefs.  

Her family's history is irrelevant, as is political views

The reason im telling you this is I know someone this happened to.

The police report is required at the end of the process, after you've already shelled out the $500 application fee.

Her response was; "Sorry tillack I think you angry me".

Needless to say he was more angry than he would have been before he'd coughed up the cash!

They can confuse the clearance required to go to work overseas, which they get from Chaengwattana, which simply is to confirm they aren't currently wanted for any crime.

This criminal check looks backwards at previous crime, especially incarceration, like I say before, for prostitution or drug  crime is a real Black Ball.

So make sure you are clear with her

On 5/25/2019 at 3:49 PM, GinBoy2 said:

I wouldn't worry about the food stuff, least of your worries, pretty much everything can be purchased online anyway.

For the affidavit of support, since you have no income, you can use assets which could be liquidated. Those assets need to be 3x the 125% of poverty level, which I think is about $24k, so you need to show assets of at least $72k.

On the 3 years of tax returns, make sure you use transcripts, not copies of your filed 1040's

2019 Minimum Annual Income Requirements for Most Sponsors: 125% of Federal Poverty Guidelines.  2 people $21,137.

For example, a sponsor with no dependents except for the fiancé would have a household size of two. Based on the 2018 poverty guidelines, he would require an income of at least $16,240 to meet the K-1 visa income requirements.

I assume you meant the 72k because he's not working? Or getting a retirement income.

50 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

2019 Minimum Annual Income Requirements for Most Sponsors: 125% of Federal Poverty Guidelines.  2 people $21,137.

For example, a sponsor with no dependents except for the fiancé would have a household size of two. Based on the 2018 poverty guidelines, he would require an income of at least $16,240 to meet the K-1 visa income requirements.

I assume you meant the 72k because he's not working? Or getting a retirement income.

Exactly.

As I said previously, without income, ie unemployed, you can use assets equal to 3x the 125% of the annual income poverty guidelines to satisfy the affidavit support requirements

Archived