Jump to content
BANGKOK 19 June 2019 06:29
rooster59

Prosecutors seek higher illegal hunting penalties for Premchai and gang

Recommended Posts

Prosecutors seek higher illegal hunting penalties for Premchai and gang

 

image_search_1558706790621.jpg

 

Public prosecutors appealed to the Appeals Court today against the verdicts and sentences imposed on construction tycoon Premchai Karnasuta and three others, demanding higher penalties for illegal hunting in the Thungyai Naresuan wildlife sanctuary in which one panther and other protected wildlife species were killed.


The Thong Phaphum provincial court on March 19th handed down a 16-month prison term to Premchai, CEO of Italian-Thai International Development Plc, after finding him guilty of carrying firearms in public without a permit, being an accessory to illegal hunting and possession of a pheasant carcass.


He was acquitted on charges of collecting forest flora and fauna and of being in possession of a panther carcass.

 

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/prosecutors-seek-higher-illegal-hunting-penalties-for-premchai-and-gang/

 

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-05-25
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Prosecutors seek higher illegal hunting penalties for Premchai

Good luck with that. He have already delivered the necessary envelope/s.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He was acquitted on charges of collecting forest flora and fauna

a collector of forest flora and fauna he is:

0511-1008-0522-4311_Cartoon_of_a_Nerdy_Guy_Chasing_a_Butterfly_with_a_Net_clipart_image.jpg.8af71302d20838c79c647f0e7b330267.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Previous topic and I was looking at a lush burger , now I see this big ugly mug , panther burger ? Not for me !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, neeray said:

He’s getting a much lighter sentence than the panther got. 

And why not?  So far there has been no evidence that he killed the animal, has there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

And why not?  So far there has been no evidence that he killed the animal, has there?

Circumstantial evidence is evidence that relies on an inference to connect it to a conclusion of fact—such as a fingerprint at the scene of a crime. 

 

The notion that one cannot be convicted on circumstantial evidence is, of course, false. Most criminal convictions are based on circumstantial evidence, although it must be adequate to meet established standards of proof. See also hearsay.

 

Semantics will only get you so far. 

Edited by rkidlad
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A higher monetary penalty means nothing to him, he needs more jail time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Circumstantial evidence is evidence that relies on an inference to connect it to a conclusion of fact—such as a fingerprint at the scene of a crime. 

 

The notion that one cannot be convicted on circumstantial evidence is, of course, false. Most criminal convictions are based on circumstantial evidence, although it must be adequate to meet established standards of proof. See also hearsay.

 

Semantics will only get you so far. 

As evidenced by Islamic sharia law

Not for me buddy.  Show me incontrovertible proof before you hang someone 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

As evidenced by Islamic sharia law

Not for me buddy.  Show me incontrovertible proof before you hang someone 

But can they handle the truth, Just Weird? 

Edited by rkidlad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1duckyboy said:

A higher monetary penalty means nothing to him, he needs more jail time.

You mean a penalty that really hurts him? That's anti envelope talk! That would shake up the entire system!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Circumstantial evidence is evidence that relies on an inference to connect it to a conclusion of fact—such as a fingerprint at the scene of a crime. 

 

The notion that one cannot be convicted on circumstantial evidence is, of course, false. Most criminal convictions are based on circumstantial evidence, although it must be adequate to meet established standards of proof. See also hearsay.

 

Semantics will only get you so far. 

Thanks, I know what circumstantial evidence is, I don't need your partial explanation copy and pasted from Wikipedia. 

 

I did not mention circumstantial evidence.  My implication was that the prosecution clearly did not have enough evidence to even charge him for the killing.

 

Semanticism did not come into my comment and your inability to understand it yet still lob it into your comment will get you even less far.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, hotchilli said:

He was among others caught in a national park, with guns and with the dead skinned animal... they should all be charged equally guilty of the offence regardless of who pulled the trigger!

Why?  Doing that when there's no specific evidence against one individual risks destroying the prosecution's case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, hotchilli said:

He was among others caught in a national park, with guns and with the dead skinned animal... they should all be charged equally guilty of the offence regardless of who pulled the trigger!

That would be in an ideal world. The thing is that the fat guy is a very wealthy and influential person, hence 'no' (or minimal) charges against him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...