Brexit brings down May, Johnson stakes leadership claim

rooster59

3 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

What a nonsense! 

It was rejected because of the agreed back stop. 

The backstop was a sprat to catch a mackerel. Just as well we didn't fall for it.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, sotsira said:

Boris for me is a little bit too gung-ho with his demeanour 

and could be a bit risky as a PM.

Dominic Raab is getting a lot of mention and would be a good

level headed PM.

Don't know why, but David Davies isn't getting any media attention

but he would also be a good candidate.

You surely have to be joking about Davies, said to be the laziest individual in the government. We're already a laughing stock so why make it worse?

If indeed that is possible. 

55 minutes ago, vogie said:

Quite the opposite I would have thought, the reason the Tories are doing so badly is because they failed to live up to their promise of leaving the EU, conversely, the reason the Brexit party are doing very nicely thank you very much, is because they want to deliver on Brexit.

Firstly 25% of Tory voters were remainers, probably another 25% are appalled by the thought of doing anything as stupid as a no deal brexit.

So let's assume mr Farage does not dissolve his brexit party - the remaining 50% of Tory voters are going to be split between the two parties.

in FPTP that is not a winning scenario   

2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Rubbish. May is a hopeless negotiator, and generally incompetent. Just look at her record.

It's the result when 80 Mill. Fight 500 Mill. 

What do you think what will be the result when you try to get better deals with the outer world without EU.???????

Use your brain(?) and answer yourself 

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Now is the time for the tory party and their members to show if they care for the whole UK or if they chose someone with extreme views like Boris. In one important aspect May was right in her last speech. Compromise is sometimes necessary. 

The UK, like other countries, need a competent and balanced leader to get through these difficult situations. Will they get one? I have my doubts. 

How is Boris extreme? he wants to deliver the will of the people as from the June 23rd 2016 referendum. Maybot was a complete and utter liar. Her "deal" was never that. Just a fudge allowing Brussels to remain control and the UK to stay as one of the EU's dominions. Worse than actually staying in was her deal. She had the worst ever defeat as a prime minister in votes. She has the record of being the only prime minister ever to have been in charge of a party held in contempt by parliament and she has decimated the popular following for the Tory party. She was an utter disaster for democracy and the country. Thankfully she will soon be gone and history will not reflect kindly on her.

2 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

It's the result when 80 Mill. Fight 500 Mill. 

What do you think what will be the result when you try to get better deals with the outer world without EU.???????

Use your brain(?) and answer yourself 

I love when people run out of reasoned argument.

2 hours ago, tebee said:

Firstly 25% of Tory voters were remainers, probably another 25% are appalled by the thought of doing anything as stupid as a no deal brexit.

So let's assume mr Farage does not dissolve his brexit party - the remaining 50% of Tory voters are going to be split between the two parties.

in FPTP that is not a winning scenario   

A) Where'd you get those figures from 

B) What exactly is wrong with a no deal and using WTO regs?

2 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

More nonsense

What makes you so sure? It's a not uncommon ploy for one side to insert something expendable in a document, prior to negotiation, which later can be removed as a phony concession to get the the rest of the deal agreed.

Or do you consider the EU mandarins mentally or morally incapable of such deception?

The buffoon is running for office Ma’am…. Love that pic.

May should have known, being Prime Minister at the time of Brexit was always going to be a suicide mission.

Britain desperately needs someone competent and capable….. if Boris is the best we can find we are in trouble.

In the long run there is opportunity with freedom to do trade deals elsewhere.

8 hours ago, alanrchase said:

Ah, you make it sound so simple. Talk to ten people who voted leave and you will get several different answers on why they voted leave. Difficult to give all of them "what they voted for".

Talk to 10 people who voted remain and you will get several different answers on why they voted remain.

20 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

May should have known, being Prime Minister at the time of Brexit was always going to be a suicide mission.

Britain desperately needs someone competent and capable….. if Boris is the best we can find we are in trouble.

Probably anyone competent and capable will realize that Brexit, as promised, is impossible to deliver and that any version that is delivered, will piss off more people that it makes happy.

We are left with the opportunists and the fools, like May and Johnson who either don't understand the poison chalice or are happy to drink from it for a brief shot at glory  

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

What makes you so sure? It's a not uncommon ploy for one side to insert something expendable in a document, prior to negotiation, which later can be removed as a phony concession to get the the rest of the deal agreed.

Or do you consider the EU mandarins mentally or morally incapable of such deception?

One has to be a mandarin as you said and one is the servant. Such is life. 

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Former foreign minister Boris Johnson, the favourite to replace May, was first out of the blocks,

Jumping from the frying pan into the fire. I guess it could be worst ,you could be American and have trump as president.

9 hours ago, jinners said:

How is Boris extreme? he wants to deliver the will of the people as from the June 23rd 2016 referendum. Maybot was a complete and utter liar. Her "deal" was never that. Just a fudge allowing Brussels to remain control and the UK to stay as one of the EU's dominions. Worse than actually staying in was her deal. She had the worst ever defeat as a prime minister in votes. She has the record of being the only prime minister ever to have been in charge of a party held in contempt by parliament and she has decimated the popular following for the Tory party. She was an utter disaster for democracy and the country. Thankfully she will soon be gone and history will not reflect kindly on her.

For people like you I hope you will get Boris. And you can see him fail and you can see the UK fail. But I guess you will still blame the others. Enjoy the ride.

Dom.Rabb is the man imo to be the PM

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

34 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Dom.Rabb is the man imo to be the PM

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My vote would be for Sir Graham Brady, whose moral compass far surpasses any of the candidates. I hope he enters the race, because I am convinced he'll see off Johnson or Rabb - and later on, Corbyn.

BTW, he voted leave, but is not a raving looney about it.

16 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

More nonsense

But that is only your opinion.

Other people on the forum are also allowed to express their opinions too.

Instead of coming up with that comment, why not explain why you think that and discuss it with other posters?

16 hours ago, emptypockets said:

I just want it over 

The incessant threads on this by apparently expat become tiresome.

Let's get back to whining how the pound was worth 1000 to the  Baht in 1874

That's why most of the Remainers here maintain that position, because of their own finances. Nothing to do with the best outcome for all 67 million citizens of the UK (including those who voted Remain).

On 5/25/2019 at 3:33 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Why would you let one deal run out, then have no deal and lots of headache and then start to make a new deal.

Isn't it much better to make a new deal in time before the old deal expires?

It's like living on an island and you have a food supplier who brings your fresh foo every day. And you know that supplier's contract runs out in a couple of months. What do you do? Renew the deal or make another deal before the existing deal runs out? Or wait until the deal is finished and discover the next day: Where is my food? What a surprise, the contact run out. Maybe I should make a new contract. Why didn't I think about that months ago?

Of course it's better but the EU won't have it that way.

18 hours ago, tebee said:

Probably anyone competent and capable will realize that Brexit, as promised, is impossible to deliver and that any version that is delivered, will piss off more people that it makes happy.

We are left with the opportunists and the fools, like May and Johnson who either don't understand the poison chalice or are happy to drink from it for a brief shot at glory  

At least you recognise the toxicity of the EU.

Archived