Jump to content
BANGKOK 21 June 2019 07:27
giddyup

Suggestions for a Free Youtube Downloader

Recommended Posts

I have Google searched but it's confusing. So many apps say "free" but in fact they are only free for a trial. I have also had a couple that wouldn't download because of a virus warning. Is anyone using an app that is simple and virus free? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Indeed there must be thousands :smile:

I use this standalone program (browser independent) and always works fine:

http://youtubedownloader.software/about-us.php

"Midrey Youtube Downloader"

Handling is old fashioned (copy/past URL to program) but I like it that way,

After pasting URL you can select resolution (up to 4k no prob).

Only downloading audio track is also supported.

 

From experience: the 720p resolutions download most quick.

I guess that's not related to the program but to the youtube cache/mirror handling.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Indeed there must be thousands :smile:

I use this standalone program and always works fine:

http://youtubedownloader.software/about-us.php

"Midrey Youtube Downloader"

Handling is old fashioned (copy/past URL to program) but I like it that way,

After pasting URL you can select resolution (up to 4k no prob).

Thanks. I have downloaded it but find it is very, very slow for me. I'm only downloading audiobooks so that shouldn't take long at all, normally a few seconds. Am I doing something wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you provide an example link?

I use it mainly for videos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Can you provide an example link?

I use it mainly for videos.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed the download in audio format is slow.

 

May sound strange, but if you download it in a video format (1280*720) the download is very fast (for me it's almost full speed of 50 Mbit/s)

The resulting file is ~1.8 GB (more than 8 hours to listen).

Took about 6 minutes download.

If you have a faster download rate it might be even quicker.

So if you don't care size this would a way around.

 

Maybe another user knows a tool better fitted for audio download.

 

 

midrey3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Indeed the download in audio format is slow.

 

May sound strange, but if you download it in a video format (1280*720) the download is very fast (for me it's almost full speed of 50 Mbit/s)

The resulting file is ~1.8 GB (more than 8 hours to listen).

Took about 6 minutes download.

If you have a faster download rate it might be even quicker.

So if you don't care size this would a way around.

 

Maybe another user knows a tool better fitted for audio download.

 

 

midrey3.jpg

OK, thanks. I won't be using it every day, nor do I have to sit and watch it download, so can just load up a few books and let it go. Thanks again.

Edit: Just tried downloading in the 640X360 MP4 format, only takes a few seconds.

Edited by giddyup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The Youtube app on iPad allows you to download with the click of a button. Easy and quick.

 

I am presently listening to Ken Follett A Place Called Freedom when i drive. connect to the car stereo with bluetooth

 

This means it will work for iPhone also iOS.

 

Can do on other devices? Android? Surely yes.

Edited by cheeryble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cheeryble said:

The Youtube app on iPad allows you to download with the click of a button. Easy and quick.

 

I am presently listening to Ken Follett A Place Called Freedom when i drive. connect to the car stereo with bluetooth

 

This means it will work for iPhone also iOS.

 

Can do on other devices? Android? Surely yes.

i want to be able to download to my PC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Search “YouTube to MP3” (if you only want to keep the audio) on CNET download, you’ll have to tick the various search box filters (free only, PC, etc) but it’s a good website for software


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

i want to be able to download to my PC.

YouTube Downloader works for me. However, I have noticed YouTube has placed a lot of restrictions on some stuff, presumably due to copyright. Only short clips available.

A major irritant on Youtube are the sites that promise free downloads, then direct me to a paywall. If I was more computer savvy, I'd be flaming every one of them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lemonjelly said:

Search “YouTube to MP3” (if you only want to keep the audio) on CNET download, you’ll have to tick the various search box filters (free only, PC, etc) but it’s a good website for software


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Alternatively, download in whatever format there is, then convert to MP3 with Free File Converter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I was googling this same question yesterday for iPad (iOS) yesterday.
 
Found this guide: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/youtube-download-videos-iphone-ipad,review-6017.html
 
Of course, no good if you are not using an apple device.

I hope Tom says u can just press the download button


Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...