Good visa options in Udon for non-retirees?

Hal65

In Pattaya I'm on an ED visa because we have schools here. I think Udon does not. For those ineligable for retirement visas what options remain?

Tourist visas are one option. Doing those endlessly for years has always seemed scary to me though. Maybe it's not as bad as I think. 

Have you spent any considerable time up here?  Its slow and quiet.  If you're the Pattaya type I'm not sure this city is for you.  I mean its REALLY quiet.  You can drive around at night here for a half hour without seeing another car on the road in many areas.

If you're under 35 or so I'd consider getting a job teaching english.  As crummy as that sounds, you could probably just tutor up here for a few hours and get a visa out of it somehow.  Maybe there's some volunteering visa options up here but I don't know of any.

In Pattaya I'm okay with seeing the same lady for a long time. I live simply, jogging around and going to the mall for an occasional movie. I'll probably live on that street with the Day and Night complex, build a list of phone numbers (i know selection is much smaller) and do the same thing, but at a slower pace.

So you actually undertaking any Thai course in Pattaya as you are on an ED Visa ?   You can do exactly the same in Don as AUA run Thai language courses in Udon Thani.  Top floor Central Plaza. Google AUA and you will find there information. You can work to Central in 5 mins from where you want to stay.

46 minutes ago, SenorJorge said:

Have you spent any considerable time up here?  Its slow and quiet.  If you're the Pattaya type I'm not sure this city is for you.  I mean its REALLY quiet.  You can drive around at night here for a half hour without seeing another car on the road in many areas.

If you're under 35 or so I'd consider getting a job teaching english.  As crummy as that sounds, you could probably just tutor up here for a few hours and get a visa out of it somehow.  Maybe there's some volunteering visa options up here but I don't know of any.

Clearly you don't live in Udon Thani or have spent much time there lately.  Yes its much quieter than Pattaya but much of Pattaya are girls from Udon anyway many now returning owing to Pattaya being much quieter, at least that's what they say.  Certainly the normal bars close earlier as the police regularly enforce the midnight closure but there now several bars and clubs that go on to 2 - 4 am "untouched".  Which streets did you drive around without seeing another car for 30 minutes ? 

20 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Clearly you don't live in Udon Thani or have spent much time there lately.  Yes its much quieter than Pattaya but much of Pattaya are girls from Udon anyway many now returning owing to Pattaya being much quieter, at least that's what they say.  Certainly the normal bars close earlier as the police regularly enforce the midnight closure but there now several bars and clubs that go on to 2 - 4 am "untouched".  Which streets did you drive around without seeing another car for 30 minutes ? 

Where are the several bars and clubs and in what area do they go on to 2-4 am untouched?

2 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Clearly you don't live in Udon Thani 

Its amazing how much vitriol I get from certain types of expats the minute I say one negative thing about Pattaya.  Pattaya is a cesspool, pure and simple.  No, they're not coming back here, there's nothing for them to do out here save for get normal jobs for most part.  I live on Udon-Khon Kaen road out past the MG place and the police station.  If all you know of Udon is central festival, pennerai (a horrible hotel, btw.  Stay at Civilize for just 1000 baht), and that stupid bar, you don't know this town.  Thanks.

7 minutes ago, SenorJorge said:

Its amazing how much vitriol I get from certain types of expats the minute I say one negative thing about Pattaya.  Pattaya is a cesspool, pure and simple.  No, they're not coming back here, there's nothing for them to do out here save for get normal jobs for most part.  I live on Udon-Khon Kaen road out past the MG place and the police station.  If all you know of Udon is central festival, pennerai (a horrible hotel, btw.  Stay at Civilize for just 1000 baht), and that stupid bar, you don't know this town.  Thanks.

I was polite and you have the audacity to mention vitriol and then come out with that diatribe !!!  So highway 2, where you claim to live, has no cars for 30 minutes at night does it ? ???? You do know there are many more hotels in Udon than the Pannarai do you ? If you say its a horrible hotel why does it get such a good right up in traveladvisor ??

15 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

When are you coming to Udon ?

I’m on and out most months. I know of the local Thai bars/clubs/ karaoke that stay open til 4 such as Yellow Bird but never seen any foreign type bars open after 12. 

Reported personal comment and responses removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

3 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I’m on and out most months. I know of the local Thai bars/clubs/ karaoke that stay open til 4 such as Yellow Bird but never seen any foreign type bars open after 12. 

There are 2 new ones, name escapes me at the moment but about 5 mins away from Central, but in the main block, not quite opposite tucked on the corner of a road and tiny soi Plays western music mostly and fairly newish.   The other bar (bar only) open till 4 is opposite side of the road to Bangkok hospital but halfway between there and Tawandang Rd. 50/50 locals and Farangs   Now new one just opened 2 weeks ago just up from there also. Don't think that opens too late yet because when we were walking past around 1:30 am the band were then about to head home but promised ourselves a visit next time as it has nice smart decor. A two level place.  There are others but mostly Thai.

Archived