How to get money from Bangkok bank to Paypal/US accounts?

Hey all, 

I'm regularly stuck with a lot of baht when entering the country on a new visa that I would like to be able to get back into my US bank accounts so I can use it for paying US bills. 

What's the best way to do this?

I have a savings account with Bangkok bank with a debit card (not a Visa card), but I haven't had any luck linking it with my US Paypal account. What's the best alternative?

Thanks for your help! 

I have had no problems whatsoever linking my Kasikorn web shopping card to paypal

Paypal has a Thailand number you can call and ask for help - the number is +66 27873409

Customer service hours  = 8:00 to 18:00  Monday to Friday

Go to PayPal.

Open "Wallet"

(A) Add bank account

... or ...

(B) Add card

Wait for account to be confirmed.

Transfer funds.

14 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

Go to PayPal.

Open "Wallet"

(A) Add bank account

... or ...

(B) Add card

Wait for account to be confirmed.

Transfer funds.

Isn't that for only transferring from your Paypal account to your bank account. but not from your bank account to Paypal?

Thanks, guys! 

1. I'm not sure I'm eligible for Swift since I don't have a work permit. 

2. I've tried linking my Bangkok bank card to my US paypal account and can't get it confirmed. That method is out. 

3. Dee Money sounds like a good solution and gets positive reviews here on the forum. 

I'm going to look into Dee Money for now. Let me know if anyone has any other suggestions. Thanks! 

Just now, davidupatterson said:

Thanks, guys! 

1. I'm not sure I'm eligible for Swift since I don't have a work permit. 

2. I've tried linking my Bangkok bank card to my US paypal account and can't get it confirmed. That method is out. 

3. Dee Money sounds like a good solution and gets positive reviews here on the forum. 

I'm going to look into Dee Money for now. Let me know if anyone has any other suggestions. Thanks! 

Try linking your Bank ACCOUNT to PayPal.

You do NOT need any type of permit to use SWIFT

Just now, davidupatterson said:

Ah, right - sorry for that miscommunication. I previously attempted linking my actual account to Paypal, not my card. Maybe I should try linking my card instead?

I'll take another look at Swift. Thanks. Would I inquire directly with Bangkok Bank to use it? 

A SWIFT transfer requires a SWIFT code of the bank you are sent TO.

You will need the account owner name., the account number, the SWIFT code, and an index finger to hit "send"

Thanks. The FAQ you linked is for sending money 'into' Thailand, but I'm trying to get it out. I just want to be sure that the recommendation still stands. On another thread, I had heard that Paypal and Dee Money were the only services that allowed you to transfer money 'out' of Thailand. 

52 minutes ago, davidupatterson said:

Thanks. The FAQ you linked is for sending money 'into' Thailand, but I'm trying to get it out. I just want to be sure that the recommendation still stands. On another thread, I had heard that Paypal and Dee Money were the only services that allowed you to transfer money 'out' of Thailand. 

Dude, Just find the bank you are sending TO.  Then follow the same rules. It is really really EASY.

Seeing as I didn't get a reply to my post #7 about whether the wallet allows transfer from your bank to Paypal, I'll tell you what I do a couple of times a year to get money into my Paypal account from my Thai bank account.

In my Paypal account I go to Send & Request > Request > Create an Invoice > In Bill To, I enter a second email address of my own, followed by the details of how much I want. It's only important to enter the currency and amount you want really.

Then send it. Log out of your Paypal account.

When the email arrives at your second email address, click on the option to pay it, but ignore the request to get you to sign up for Paypal with your second email address. Instead, click on pay by card - Visa MC, whatever.

Then you can enter your Thai bank debit card details, which Paypal/the the bank, will get you to confirm name, address, phone number, etc as listed on your Thai bank account for the debit card.

The transaction should be approved in a few seconds and the money transferred from your Thai account to your Paypal account. I think Bangkok Bank used to charge me 30 Baht IIRC, but last time I wasn't charged.

Works for me anyway.

It's been a few years since i have needed to do it but I do remember needing a work permit. You need to go in show permit and fill a form. Failing that I would try revolut or transferwise as they are not exactly banks so you might be able to swerve all the BS. Thailand loves people bringing money in but taking money out is another story.

Archived