Video: Brake failure! Nine vehicle pile up at Chonburi intersection

rooster59

Video: Brake failure! Nine vehicle pile up at Chonburi intersection

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTU1Ni83NzgwNjY2L25ld3MwNS5qcGc=.jpg

Caption: Pile up at the lights

A rear facing camera on a pick-up caught the terrifying moment when a ten wheel truck carrying a full load of sugar smashed into a line of cars and trucks waiting at the lights at a Chonburi intersection yesterday. 

Nine vehicles were damaged and two people were taken to hospital after the accident on Route 331 in Nong Irun sub-district of Ban Bung. It was on the Rayong bound side of the highway. 

Chairit, 52, was behind the wheel of the sugar truck. He said he was 200 meters from the intersection when he started to brake - but they wouldn't work. 

He said he weaved over the road in an effort to slow down and diverted to the left side to try and avoid a worse collision but was unsuccessful. He used his horn to warn of impending disaster but it was too late. 

Natthapong, 24, a football coach was one of the lucky uninjured survivors. His vehicle was jammed between two others - he managed to kick out his window and emerge unscathed. 

Police have charged Chairit with negligence and driving an improperly maintained vehicle.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-25

18 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Police have charged Chairit with negligence and driving an improperly maintained vehicle

The truck is probably badly damaged, but otherwise it would have been interesting to test if the brakes are working again. Maybe it was just some temporary problem...?

12 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Same same every day just a different road and just a bit sweeter.

Lucky it wasn't sugar cubes. There could have been more damage and injury if hit by a load of those.

Wonder if the company responsible for transporting the sugar might end up being dissolved?

14 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

The truck is probably badly damaged, but otherwise it would have been interesting to test if the brakes are working again. Maybe it was just some temporary problem...?

Maybe it was just some temporary problem...?.......yes with the driver.

regards worgeordie

Unbelievable! Most of the traffic lights along 331 (of which there are many) can be seen from a distance. I lift of as soon as they come into view as, if they are red I will probably have to stop and if they are green they won't be when I get there. Brake failure indeed. All vehicles will have dual circuit brakes. So nothing worked, eh? No locked up wheels, no smoking tyres. Somebody should tell the driver that brakes don't work by magic, the pedal has to be pressed.  

If it was really brake failure then the driver should have steered the vehicle off of the roadway instead of slamming everyone and possibly killing someone. Also the vehicle should have had air brakes which should have a failsafe built in that locks up all rear brakes in case of the loss of air pressure.

44 minutes ago, Lee4Life said:

If it was really brake failure then the driver should have steered the vehicle off of the roadway instead of slamming everyone and possibly killing someone. Also the vehicle should have had air brakes which should have a failsafe built in that locks up all rear brakes in case of the loss of air pressure.

Exactly .... so let's us call it what it is ........ BS.

17 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He said he was 200 meters from the intersection when he started to brake - but they wouldn't work. 

Word has it Hollywood has the rights to making a horror movie about the failing of brakes phenomena prevalent in Thailand .. 

IMG_20180822_230524_20180826140050028_20180826175055048_20180826183004064_20190526063308874.jpg

Many of these irresponsible drivers do not even know how much room they need to brake, if then, in addition to the maintenance not done, the speed is added, then the tragedy is planned!

Lots of stories of brake failure but you never read about trucks/cars using their handbrake/parking brake/emergency brake which regardless of the name operates in the same way and separate from the main system.

20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Chairit, 52, was behind the wheel of the sugar truck. He said he was 200 meters from the intersection when he started to brake - but they wouldn't work. 

200 meters, I wonder why gear change never seems to be used to brake a Thai vehicle with brake failure, or is that impossible to use the gear for that in a truck?

1 hour ago, Classic Ray said:

Like so many vehicles in Thailand, that truck looks seriously overloaded. Even if his brakes were working 100%, they probably would have been unable to stop the truck in time.

Interesting point of view...????

6 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Failure to brake in time rather than brake failure, I imagine. But you never know, once in a while they could be telling the truth. A stopped clock is right twice a day.

I’m with you Briggsy. He was going to fast, and if he brakes at all, it was far too late.  I’m a retired heavy truck driver so I know what I’m talking about.  Attached is a pic of my truck. 

930FCF30-1E8B-4CAF-AD51-B475273F9608.jpeg

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

Lots of stories of brake failure but you never read about trucks/cars using their handbrake/parking brake/emergency brake which regardless of the name operates in the same way and separate from the main system.

Large trucks may have hydraulic or air brakes. Smaller vehicles usually have hydraulic. But no matter which system they have, the emergency/parking brake is always mechanical and is nowhere near as effective as the main system.

So I'm afraid yanking the brake handle on will little effect on a fully laden truck.

8 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Failure to brake in time rather than brake failure, I imagine. But you never know, once in a while they could be telling the truth. A stopped clock is right twice a day.

"a stopped clock"  one of the most accurate descriptions of intellectual acumen 

21 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Lucky it wasn't sugar cubes. There could have been more damage and injury if hit by a load of those.

Wonder if the company responsible for transporting the sugar might end up being dissolved?

A pathetic attempt at humor concerning a serious accident. Had someone died you might have woven some comedy into that as well.

1 hour ago, Benmart said:
22 hours ago, bluesofa said:

A pathetic attempt at humor concerning a serious accident. Had someone died you might have woven some comedy into that as well.

Sorry you have no sense of humour. In case you hadn't noticed, no one died, a 'grave' mistake on your part.

So far at least six people liked my pathetic attempt at humour, but someone thought your comment was 'sad'.

Archived