Who would you call upon seeing an injury or fatal accident?

watcharacters

What number would  you dial when you see an injury or fatal accident?  

The Mrs. and I walked by one on Soi 12 about  only 25 meters from Pattaya Klang  a couple of nights ago.   We’d  had dinner with and just dropped off some friends at the hotel where they stayed and went back to a beer  bar we passed where we saw another friend.

When we rounded the corner of Soi 12 from Pattaya Klang where we parked   I saw a songtaue (baht bus) stopped with a crowd  (15 - 20 people) around it.     At first I thought the driver was repairing something   underneath  the bus.    As we got closer I realized  a person was  under the bus and by the position of the body I feared the worst.   

We met our friend at the beer bar for a beer and I observed how long it took for medical personal to arrive on the scene.      The accident was within sight of where we were in the beer bar.    It was over 25 minutes before any medical personnel arrived to assist.

I was surprised by the time it took for a medical response as the distance to nearby  Pattaya  Memorial Hospital could have easily  been walked  within that time.

So, again, what number and what agency,  police or hospital,  would you call?
Edited by Rimmer
Font size corrected, please use default fonts only.

The only Thai numbers which i know without looking it up on Google are 1111 (government hotline) and 1155 (tourist police), in case of an accident i would choose the tourist police number, they should be able to call an ambulance.

Most of the time when i'm going anywhere it's together with my girlfriend who is a nurse and has a few months emergency room / ambulance experience, so if we were the first at the scene she would be supposed to help.

I was staying in samui 1998 in Charlie huts chaweng, i discovered a dead body in one of the huts due a bad smell  it took the police to arrive 4 hours later. I quote the police said unfortunately he's dead.... No <deleted> shxt. They even checked he's pulse when he was blue in the face and blood spattered every where

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Davo369 said:

I was staying in samui 1998 in Charlie huts chaweng, i discovered a dead body in one of the huts due a bad smell  it took the police to arrive 4 hours later. I quote the police said unfortunately he's dead.... No <deleted> shxt. They even checked he's pulse when he was blue in the face and blood spattered every where

Probably because some fancy lawyer would ask them:

"How did you know he was dead"

It is hard to imagine a situation where i would be the first and only witness. Usually within seconds, at least 10 Thai people will show up.

Where could it happen?

On a remote stretch of some upcountry road - i would try to stop traffic.  If there is no traffic,  call 191 or 1669, whoever answers the phone. 

If I feel the victim is worth my money and I am near a Bangkok Hospital,  call 1719. But near a Bangkok Hospital this situation will hardly arise.

In the middle of the night,  in the hallway of a hotel or condo - call above numbers (there may be a Bangkok Hospital nearby). And call staff or security. 

In a situation where many people are around but they are probably all stupid;

In Pattaya, if the victim is farang,  i would call 1719 (most farang do have insurance so Bangkok Hospital may pick him up to get the business even if they cannot check coverage right now).

If Thai,  as above. 

At Nana Plaza, I would call 02-066 8888 Bumrungrad if it's a farang. 

Edited by uhuh

Police and general emergency call – 191

Medical emergency call – 1669

Fire – 199

Tourist Police – 1155

Highway Police – 1193

Ambulance and Rescue – 1554

The OP raises an important point concerning road safety in Thailand.

There are no centralised emergency services.

Just look at the numbers above and th4n guess how many people know which number or numbers to ring and can even remember them in an emergency situation.

People love to go on about Thai drivers when it comes to the published road death rates yet they ignore sme vital factors when doing so. THey ar4 happy to blame drivers but less ofte refer to riders...Over 70% of these deaths are motorcyclists  …..and Thailand has aout the same number of COLLISIONS as the UK but a death rate that is at least ten times higher….. So what’s going on? A major factor has to be that RTI victims in Thailand done get medical care in time. It is well established that victims with relatively minor injuries if not treated quickly enough ca go into shock and just shut down. The quicker the emergency response tw more likely the victim is to survive …. In Thailand the victims are hit by a double whammy. Firstly the emergency services ae trdy and disorganised and secondly when they eventually turn up, they have neither training nor equipment to deal with much of the traumas involved.

In most countries you are give ONE number to call and the service then asks which service you require - usually Police, Fire or Ambulance, but Thailand has no such thing …. emergency numbers are unmanned at times, unresponsive and incompetent. The vehicles for hospitals are usually unsuitable  or unfit for purpose, privately owned and the personal either partially or totally untrained. It’s no wonder the death rate is so high, people die needlessly i the hands of tardy and untrained medics and there vehicles - FGS - Thai international has SPEED BUMPS on the ramp into A & E dept!!! Not only due they defy logic, they could serious aggravate any spinal injury being taken their…..

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Walk past and ignore it like a Thai would do.

Thai's would not do that

They would stand around pointing and taking selfies

A few may give the victim a pat down to locate any valuables that require a new home

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I wouldn't call anyone, not my language, not my country, not my business.

Let a local do it & walk on by.

This is a cold but I completely agree. You don't want to get involved.  I have seen a serious accident happen while eating at a roadside restaurant with a bunch of other farangs.  The police arrived and upon seeing us made a beeline to our table.  The cop tried to say that we had "distracted the drivers" or such and we had to pay a fine.  Fortunately one of our Thai ladies immediately got into it with the cop and he decided it wasn't worth the hassle.  

The fact is that you are seen by many as a big large wallet to be milked and by doing the honest thing (in your country) you expose yourself to risks and problems you would never even consider.  Best to just keep walking unless it directly involves you and yours.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Pinned on this forum.

1595516958_ThailandEmergencyNumbers.jpg.7f31d4cca747aed8222c1b7e6e981d30.jpg.cabde22078f2d0fba7b1f6eb718b1148.jpg

Thanks  CharlieH for the helpful post.    

I won't memorize the numbers but I've taken a photo so I can reference them if the occasion arises.

I'm disappointed but not surprised a very serious post brought out such frivolity by some forum members.     I was told the Thai  victim died and as with most deaths, while his worries and problems are over, they may be just beginning for members of his family.

On the way home I used the incident to  emphasize to the Mrs. the importance of defensive and alert driving at all times.

I suppose those who considered this thread a  humor opportunity won't be surprised if people just walk past them if ever they're stuck with an emergency.   Maybe  someday they'll get a chance to reap what they sow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1