Who would you call upon seeing an injury or fatal accident?

watcharacters

16 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

We MUST KNOW mere FIFTEEN different numbers to different departments when under potentially very stressful situations?

Uff, I'm glad it's that easy.

Thailand beauracracy in a nutshell, this is why we need:

1) photocopies

2) signed in blue ink

3) with our name printed beneath signature

To take a piss outside your house (and bring a hand drawn map of that too).

19 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Buddha, I don't have a phone. As a farang my wife has always told me to steer clear of accidents...."don't get involved you may end up paying for it"

Yes I have heard that before, but if I came across an accident, and somebody needed help and there was no one else there, I would find it very hard to ride away from it.

Just another reason to only keep enough money in my Thai bank to live on, and the rest of it

in my UK bank.

What I haven't got they cannot get.

10 hours ago, Crossy said:

The Thailand "Police i lert u" app may be useful if you come across a road accident or need an ambulance.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arunsawad.policeilu&hl=en

The latest version has English option, you can send photos and GPS location. I've never had cause to use it, but as I said, it may be of use.

Thx for this recommendation. How many times one has no clue of its current street name / position..

Also available in the apple store. 

21 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Buddha, I don't have a phone. As a farang my wife has always told me to steer clear of accidents...."don't get involved you may end up paying for it"

very true I would let someone else do the calling, especially a thai.....as we are in thailand.

I would stay  clear and not so anything

• Thanks 1

Both 911 and 112 divert to the 191 general emergency number. So it isn't vital to recall any number apart from 911 and I doubt there are many people that don't remember that number even if they aren't American.

Any of those numbers are answered with a recording that says this is the emergency number in Thai, then the same in English with the option to press 1 to continue in English.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2019 at 11:42 PM, HeyHeyHey said:

We MUST KNOW mere FIFTEEN different numbers to different departments when under potentially very stressful situations?

Uff, I'm glad it's that easy.

Why not program the most important into your mobile phone, as I have done. For me the 3 most important are 191 (Police and Fire), 1669 (Emergency Ambulance, usually from a local Foundation rather than a hospital) and 1155 (Tourist Police). As a Tourist Police Volunteer, my advice is use 1155 ONLY if foreigners are involved in, for example, a bus/train/airplane/mini-van/boat accident where there is the likelihood of multiple injuries. Generally, your local TP Office will politely refer you to the local police on 191. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 10:52 AM, Burma Bill said:

Why not program the most important into your mobile phone, as I have done. For me the 3 most important are 191 (Police and Fire), 1669 (Emergency Ambulance, usually from a local Foundation rather than a hospital) and 1155 (Tourist Police). As a Tourist Police Volunteer, my advice is use 1155 ONLY if foreigners are involved in, for example, a bus/train/airplane/mini-van/boat accident where there is the likelihood of multiple injuries. Generally, your local TP Office will politely refer you to the local police on 191. 

That's a wise idea, Bill.      I personally took a photo of all the numbers to keep as a reference and asked the Mrs. to do it as well.  I hope I never have to use the numbers  and hope I don't run across a scene such as the one I did ever again.

• Thanks 1

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:57 AM, soalbundy said:

Correct. We are visitors, and unless it's someone we know, or a farang don't get involved. It's up to Thais to sort their problems out, not us.

I was in a van from Bkk to Pattaya and we saw a truck crash on the center median. The driver didn't stop to help, just called on his phone.

I equate LOS with Saudi when it comes to accidents. On our orientation in Saudi we were told that if we see an accident walk the other way, as it would be our fault if we did.

The only exception, IMO, would be if it was something simple like stopping serious bleeding, and no one else was even trying.

That may seem hard, but life isn't fair, and good deeds never go unpunished.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:36 PM, possum1931 said:

Yes I have heard that before, but if I came across an accident, and somebody needed help and there was no one else there, I would find it very hard to ride away from it.

Just another reason to only keep enough money in my Thai bank to live on, and the rest of it

in my UK bank.

What I haven't got they cannot get.

Agreed, but how many times would we ever be the only ones at the scene of an accident in LOS?

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:34 PM, steven100 said:

what if he's not dead yet  ?

Unless one is actually a trained first aider, one should avoid if possible. If one moved a casualty and damaged the spinal cord, causing paraplegia, is one going to pay to support that person that one damaged for life?

BTW, everyone should do a proper first aid course, as the person one saves may be one's beloved. There is really no reason not to do one.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2019 at 7:57 PM, watcharacters said:

Have you ever tried calling  it and if so what were the results?     Details?

I used to date a nurse who worked in an emergency room.  She told me to remember that number.  No personal experience.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Correct. We are visitors, and unless it's someone we know, or a farang don't get involved. It's up to Thais to sort their problems out, not us.

I was in a van from Bkk to Pattaya and we saw a truck crash on the center median. The driver didn't stop to help, just called on his phone.

I equate LOS with Saudi when it comes to accidents. On our orientation in Saudi we were told that if we see an accident walk the other way, as it would be our fault if we did.

The only exception, IMO, would be if it was something simple like stopping serious bleeding, and no one else was even trying.

That may seem hard, but life isn't fair, and good deeds never go unpunished.

After a career in the military, most of it spent in the emergency/first responder field, I was severely conflicted the first time I was driven by a motorbike crash that had literally just happened on a hairpin turn going up the hill into Khao Yai.  Thai man and woman, probably in their 60s, had just wiped out; she was motionless, he was moving a bit.  No helmets on, none seen ejected in the area.  4 of us in the car, my mate driving, motored on by as I grabbed the door handle ready to get out.  "Stop!!".    "No, mate....."

That was REALLY HARD, messed with my head for a while.  Thankfully, Rangers at the campsite told us later they had been picked up, taken to clinic and would be OK. 

Edited by 55Jay

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agreed, but how many times would we ever be the only ones at the scene of an accident in LOS?

Somebody has to be first on the scene, but up country there are plenty of roads that are very quiet with

hardly anyone around, but still plenty of motorbikes with underage riders.