Mango tree grafting.

46 minutes ago, grollies said:

Hi all. The photos from Ken.

1559126909117.jpg

1559126902895.jpg

Have all those been grafted already ?   what area do you and ken live?   what varieties are popular?

How much do those small trees sell for ?

Ken did all those ?    wow

Hi rumak, yes I was thinking the same about varieties for different parts of Thailand as rootstock, the one I got recommended is for Isaan.
Those trees in the photo are not grafted yet they are photos of the rootstock I can get.
As for varieties and what's popular I have no idea yet as I'm mainly concentrating on citrus trees at the moment. I'm doing 50 mango from my best tree as a trial run then I'll move on to mango,Avocado and other trees soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

9 minutes ago, Grafting Ken said:

Hi rumak, yes I was thinking the same about varieties for different parts of Thailand as rootstock, the one I got recommended is for Isaan.
Those trees in the photo are not grafted yet they are photos of the rootstock I can get.
As for varieties and what's popular I have no idea yet as I'm mainly concentrating on citrus trees at the moment. I'm doing 50 mango from my best tree as a trial run then I'll move on to mango,Avocado and other trees soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Curious to know which province you live (and plant).   My friend who lives near khon kaen says his dirt is terrible and his water even worse   lol     best thing he can grow is bananas !   The land here in Lamphun province is blessed with good soil and clear water ( though our bore IS 70 meters deep )  Now if we can only get rid of the pollution in Feb and March !     BTW:  the size of the rootstock in your photo would sell for 20 to 30 baht around here.   They have some smaller and even cheaper.  

I know nothing about growing anything ! What I would like to ask you knowledgeable guys is why are these Mangoe trees so prolific, I have a few on my area and they just go berserk, is it ok to just cut them back ? I dont want to endanger them as the fruit is really good and bountiful.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Some good info' on this topic.

We visited a commercial farm near Yasathon last year. The owners were very welcoming and informative. The farm grows three distinctly different varieties (see pics). The largest of these were all at least a kilo in weight. I was told that they can get to nearly 2kg apiece on some trees.

They pick over 3 million a year. Two varieties go straight to China and the third (the smaller yellow ones) are sold wholesale in Thailand.

SN852118.JPG

Mr Owl holding one of the varieties that go to China.

SN852108.JPG

Mrs Owl's hands are not big but this pic shows how big some grow. These were all about 1.5 kg each.

SN852107.JPG

They bag them a couple of months before harvest; and number them.

They also sell the grafted trees for 80 baht each.

SN852090.thumb.JPG.10a57804a7fce0180ea314368bcc22d6.JPG

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

I know nothing about growing anything ! What I would like to ask you knowledgeable guys is why are these Mangoe trees so prolific, I have a few on my area and they just go berserk, is it ok to just cut them back ? I dont want to endanger them as the fruit is really good and bountiful.

Any advice would be appreciated.

You can prune mango trees quite hard and they'll still fruit the following year. Do it once they've fruited.

We've terrible soil and mangoes grow well.....unlike some types of citrus (Ken).

Curious to know which province you live (and plant).   My friend who lives near khon kaen says his dirt is terrible and his water even worse   lol     best thing he can grow is bananas !   The land here in Lamphun province is blessed with good soil and clear water ( though our bore IS 70 meters deep )  Now if we can only get rid of the pollution in Feb and March !     BTW:  the size of the rootstock in your photo would sell for 20 to 30 baht around here.   They have some smaller and even cheaper.  

I'm in Kalasin. Go 2km left and it's all sticky rice land, 300m right and your at the side of the big lam pau dam where they have nice black soil and grow lots of veggies. Our soil seems good anything seems to grow (apart from the trees Grollies is talking about:):):).

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You can prune mango trees quite hard and they'll still fruit the following year. Do it once they've fruited.

We've terrible soil and mangoes grow well.....unlike some types of citrus (Ken).

Yea my wife did a huge cut back on our mango trees after fruiting 2 years ago and they are now better than ever. After this fruit I'll cut again.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived