Returning to the western world

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Have you purchased and brewed any of their coffees? 

https://athome.starbucks.com/premium-select-collection/

They have 30,000 locations all over the world.  They serve a bad product?  30,000 locations?

Yes I have, and it is dishwater compared to something local. Like a 97 pound weakling on some beach.

There is a very well known software company who dominates operating systems worldwide. The number they sell has nothing to do with the quality of what they sell, which is virus-susceptible crap. Marketing again.

You are confusing quantity with quality.

50 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Perth is not a bad place to live. It's them versus the Eastern Staters. Cheaper now the mining boom north has retreated.

I think your perspective might change when you are 60 or 70, and no longer able to pull good looking women, of which Perth has quite a few. You may well return to SE Asia.

Women here have mile long checklists and think they are too good for the average joe, even those on there own social economic level they ofter wont even talk to.

I call it the bus stop theory, A regular joe is waiting at a bus stop and sees a beautiful women waiting for the same bus, He trys  to spark a conversation but she gives him the cold shoulder and assumes  he is poor and a loser because he uses public transport.

She is on the same bus and in the same social class at that point in time but refuses him, This is why we will never be equal in the western world, Because situations like this prove women think they are above men.

8 minutes ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

She is on the same bus and in the same social class at that point in time but refuses him, This is why we will never be equal in the western world, Because situations like this prove women think they are above men.

Women always date/marry up all over the world.

Yet to meet a woman that would look at a man with less than her for  a LTR.

(Unless it's a quicky with the pool boy)

13 minutes ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

Women here have mile long checklists and think they are too good for the average joe, even those on there own social economic level they ofter wont even talk to.

I call it the bus stop theory, A regular joe is waiting at a bus stop and sees a beautiful women waiting for the same bus, He trys  to spark a conversation but she gives him the cold shoulder and assumes  he is poor and a loser because he uses public transport.

Of course Thai women especially think they are above men. No contest really is it when you look around at the average Thai man

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Yes I have, and it is dishwater compared to something local. Like a 97 pound weakling on some beach.

There is a very well known software company who dominates operating systems worldwide. The number they sell has nothing to do with the quality of what they sell, which is virus-susceptible crap. Marketing again.

You are confusing quantity with quality.

If your coffee was dishwater you brewed it wrong.  Bad quality coffee shops don't have the sales necessary to open 30,000 units.  People aren't that stupid.  A good food company has good taste and good marketing.  Number of units and sales are the way we rank success in the fast food business.  Starbucks is not a 4 star restaurant it's a chain coffee shop that sends it's employees to college.

33 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

If your coffee was dishwater you brewed it wrong.  Bad quality coffee shops don't have the sales necessary to open 30,000 units.  People aren't that stupid.  A good food company has good taste and good marketing.  Number of units and sales are the way we rank success in the fast food business.  Starbucks is not a 4 star restaurant it's a chain coffee shop that sends it's employees to college.

Coffee Club beats them hands down.A good Aussie Company with great taste and service.Starbucks is crap on both fronts and furthermore non smoking 

Coffee Club beats them hands down.A good Aussie Company with great taste and service.Starbucks is crap on both fronts and furthermore non smoking 

I would not visit if it wasn’t non smoking - that is non negotiable. I have only visited once or twice in Thailand, and they did a reasonable job. In the US with a bazillion choices, including choices of specific coffee beans, flavors, sizes, type of cup, temperature etc if you cannot get a decent coffee from Starbucks I would suggest the problem is you.

In the US, coffee is a craft industry, along with beer and wine, and if one chooses to avoid Starbucks, there are many options on virtually every corner. The coffee buyer and barista in the US take their jobs very seriously.

When in Thailand I always buy local beans, grown harvested, roasted etc in Thailand. I love the coffee I make myself every morning.

That said, most of the coffee shops in Thailand are pretty crappy with few, if any options, iced drinks that are terrible, and everyone following the same, identical recipe. No variety, creativity or options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 5/26/2019 at 1:58 AM, Pattayabeerbacon said:

I have been in and out of that country for ovlver a decade, Im now 32 years old and wilk nonlonger require its services, I now work for my self part time and work for the local shire part time, I live with Taiwanese, Eat at vietnamese resaurants, Buy groceries in chinese butchers, shop in thai convenience stores, Eat japanese sushi, Deliver malaysian take away, Chat with phililipinos and play pool with cambodians.

All from Perth ,Australia.

Meh... you'll be back.

On 5/26/2019 at 6:40 AM, Crossy said:

I don't think I could return to the UK and fit in, too much has changed (as have I).

Ditto.....................:wink:

Probably more so the 'as have I' comment.

If the OP hasn't been here long and is already getting homesick, IMO it's time for him/her to go home. Regardless with what people think, and certainly no disrespect to them, not everybody is cut out to be an expat.

26 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

I would not visit if it wasn’t non smoking - that is non negotiable. I have only visited once or twice in Thailand, and they did a reasonable job. In the US with a bazillion choices, including choices of specific coffee beans, flavors, sizes, type of cup, temperature etc if you cannot get a decent coffee from Starbucks I would suggest the problem is you.

In the US, coffee is a craft industry, along with beer and wine, and if one chooses to avoid Starbucks, there are many options on virtually every corner. The coffee buyer and barista in the US take their jobs very seriously.

When in Thailand I always buy local beans, grown harvested, roasted etc in Thailand. I love the coffee I make myself every morning.

That said, most of the coffee shops in Thailand are pretty crappy with few, if any options, iced drinks that are terrible, and everyone following the same, identical recipe. No variety, creativity or options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I go for coffee not a trip to US I ll stick with Coffee Club in Phuket ...and a smoke thanks.

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Yes, but there are plenty other choices for coffee out there and despite 30,000 outlets worldwide and a highly commendable employee education policy, Starbuck's just aint all that when it comes to what they actually sell. Their money is all in HOW they sell it. Yes, generally speaking people aren't stupid but that doesn't mean when it comes to clever marketing, they're not gullible.

14 hours ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

Hmmm, with a view like this, it's good that you came to Thailand to finally get laid.  There is some sort of "incel" movement going on in the west consisting of angry white guys who can't get laid.  They blame the women for their lack of success with some resorting to violence....

[“I’ve never had a girlfriend before and I’m still a virgin, this is why I’m planning on shooting up a public place soon and being the next mass shooter cause I’m ready to die and all the girls the turned me down is going to make it right by killing as many girls as I see.” He allegedly added that “there’s nothing more dangerous than man ready to die.”]

https://www.thedailybeast.com/angry-virgin-christopher-cleary-threatened-to-kill-as-many-girls-as-i-see-near-womens-march

20 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

There is some sort of "incel" movement going on in the west consisting of angry white guys who can't get laid.  They blame the women for their lack of success with some resorting to violence....

They call themselves 'True Forced Loneliness' and are 'truly' demented.

Blaming the women is incorrect and illogical, it's the western governments that provide women with free money, housing and 'pretend' jobs that is the root of the problem.

They shouldn't direct their anger at women (who are merely opportunists), they should be aiming their anger at MPs and other government officials who enable welfare.

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I think we are arguing at cross-purposes. I have not bought coffee at a Starbucks shop to take home and brew myself. Why have a dog and bark yourself. I have drunk coffee at Starbucks a couple of times ( because there was no alternative available ) and both times was disappointed. So now if Starbucks is the only outlet nearby, I'd rather go without.

I drink coffee at quite a few places in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai and in between, local coffees. While I don't call myself a connoisseur, I know the difference between good and bad coffee. Strangely enough, the people in the shops making good coffee for me don't look to be college-educated.

Call me eccentric if you want; however, I keep going back to places that give me good food and drink, and good service. Places that are substandard rarely get more than one chance with me.

27 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Blaming the women is incorrect and illogical, it's the western governments that provide women with free money, housing and 'pretend' jobs that is the root of the problem.

Yeah! Only those of the ball-bearing persuasion should be entitled to "free money, housing and 'pretend' jobs."

Wimmin can wait.

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

Ditto.....................:wink:

Probably more so the 'as have I' comment.

If the OP hasn't been here long and is already getting homesick, IMO it's time for him/her to go home. Regardless with what people think, and certainly no disrespect to them, not everybody is cut out to be an expat.

I been to thailand at 22years old and worked in nightclubs in patong , i was getting three different women in a day, That was before the impact of social media, before extremist third wave feminism and before thailand got expensive.

Im 32 now , i learned thailands "fun days" are over, Thats it.

28 minutes ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

I been to thailand at 22years old and worked in nightclubs in patong , i was getting three different women in a day, That was before the impact of social media, before extremist third wave feminism and before thailand got expensive.

The guilty conscience does it for more mongers than are happy to admit.

1 hour ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

Everybody's viewpoint and outlook changes over time, your goals and life styles change, sometimes without you even noticing it, until the day you wake up and realize it.

As for recalling the past, what it was like 31 years ago when I first visited, to 22 years ago when I moved here full time to now, I can honestly say there is no comparison to any of the references in that timeline.

And in my case anyway, it is not so much that Thailand has changed (which of course it has), it is that I have changed, or rather my viewpoints have changed and I have accepted those changes.

Kudos to the OP for making the choice, you are young enough to fully enjoy life where ever you are; make your money while you can (it is the right thing to do BTW) and try Thailand again in a couple of years looking through older eyes.

Best of luck Buddy......................:thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I think we are arguing at cross-purposes. I have not bought coffee at a Starbucks shop to take home and brew myself. Why have a dog and bark yourself.

Because they don't brew the coffee they sell in the bag.  Sorry they didn't please you but 30,000 locations means they are pleasing the great majority of their market. 

3 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Everybody's viewpoint and outlook changes over time, your goals and life styles change, sometimes without you even noticing it, until the day you wake up and realize it.

As for recalling the past, what it was like 31 years ago when I first visited, to 22 years ago when I moved here full time to now, I can honestly say there is no comparison to any of the references in that timeline.

And in my case anyway, it is not so much that Thailand has changed (which of course it has), it is that I have changed, or rather my viewpoints have changed and I have accepted those changes.

Kudos to the OP for making the choice, you are young enough to fully enjoy life where ever you are; make your money while you can (it is the right thing to do BTW) and try Thailand again in a couple of years looking through older eyes.

Best of luck Buddy......................:thumbsup:

I was here when I was 22 too.  I like the women now better.  When I was 22 here most didn't have TV's, refrigerators, or telephones and most were almost illiterate or with minimal education. 

On 5/26/2019 at 6:40 AM, Crossy said:

Where in the West have you chosen?

After nearly 30 years (crikey, that's half my life) in the Far East (not just Thailand) I don't think I could return to the UK and fit in, too much has changed (as have I).

Agree there, it would be a culture shock in reverse, everything is so serious and important in the West, I could never adapt back to the narrow thinking mode again I'll take my chances here.

28 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Because they don't brew the coffee they sell in the bag.  Sorry they didn't please you but 30,000 locations means they are pleasing the great majority of their market. 

I see. The coffee they sell in the bag is good IYO. The logic of occupying prime real estate to sell crap coffee brewed on the premises does escape me, although I suppose many customers have anaesthetised taste buds. Perhaps that's why they are closing 150 outlets in the USA this year - their business model is not as great as it's cracked up to be.

http://fortune.com/2018/06/19/starbucks-store-closing/

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I see. The coffee they sell in the bag is good IYO. The logic of occupying prime real estate to sell crap coffee brewed on the premises does escape me, although I suppose many customers have anaesthetised taste buds. Perhaps that's why they are closing 150 outlets in the USA this year - their business model is not as great as it's cracked up to be.

Could have something to do with their recent closure for a day to train staff about an all important topic! 

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Starbucks To Open 2,100 New Locations In 2019.  https://www.bisnow.com/national/news/retail/starbucks-opening-2100-stores-2019-strong-q4-94608

It's been years since I've brewed Starbucks coffee.  I drink Nespresso. 

I think it's like an alcholoic there are stages.  First instant coffee with sugar and cream and then coffee shops with fru fru drinks they switching to latte or something similar then espresso then buying a big complicated espresso machine and grinding and roasting your own beans.  At that point it's too complicated and taking up too much space and you try a Nespresso. 

The only reason I go to Starbucks is because my wife likes it.  I think there are many better and less expensive coffee shops in Thailand but they can't pay the rent at the mall where my wife and I go shopping.

Archived