Russia must release detained Ukrainian sailors - maritime tribunal

rooster59

Russia must release detained Ukrainian sailors - maritime tribunal

800x800 (6).jpg

FILE PHOTO: Seized Ukrainian ships are seen anchored in the port of Kerch, Crimea, Nov. 26, 2018. REUTERS/Pavel Rebrov/File Photo

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Moscow must release 24 sailors who were aboard three Ukrainian vessels it intercepted in November as they crossed a strait between Russian-annexed Crimea and southern Russia, an international maritime tribunal said on Saturday.

The Russian navy had captured the Ukrainian sailors and their vessels in the Kerch Strait, which links the Black and Azov seas, on Nov. 25, 2018 after opening fire on them.

The Hamburg-based International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS) said Russia had to release the sailors and vessels immediately and both nations should refrain from taking any action which might aggravate the dispute.

"The Tribunal notes that any action affecting the immunity of warships is capable of causing serious harm to the dignity and sovereignty of a state and has the potential to undermine its national security," ITLOS President Jin-Hyun Paik said.

Ukraine has already demanded the sailors' release and the return of the impounded vessels, yet Moscow has not heeded the request or similar calls by the EU.

Russia's foreign ministry said on Saturday it had not participated in the hearings, adding it intends to defend its point of view that the arbitration lacked the jurisdiction to consider the Kerch incident.

The ITLOS was established to settle maritime disputes by the 1982 U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea, of which both Ukraine and Russia are signatories. But it has no means of enforcing its decisions.

A bilateral treaty gives both Russia and Ukraine the right to use the Sea of Azov, which lies between them and is linked by the narrow Kerch Strait to the Black Sea. Yet tension has risen since Russia annexed Crimea, with both countries complaining about shipping delays and harassment.

Russia, which annexed Crimea in 2014 and built a road bridge linking it to southern Russia straddling the Kerch Strait, has vowed never to give Crimea back to Ukraine. It accuses Kiev of staging a provocation in the Kerch Strait and its sailors of crossing illegally into Russian waters.

Russia's FSB security service said it had been forced to act in November because the ships - two small Ukrainian armoured artillery vessels and a tug boat - had illegally entered its territorial waters.

"The Tribunal's order is a clear signal to Russia that it cannot violate international law with impunity," Ukraine Deputy Foreign Minister Olena Zerkal said on Facebook, adding she expected Russia to comply with the order quickly.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said if Russia releases the Ukrainian sailors and ships it could be the first signal from the Russian leadership of its readiness to end the conflict with Ukraine.

(Reporting by Christoph Steitz in Frankfurt; Additional reporting by Natalia Zinets in Kiev and Polina Devitt in Moscow; Editing by David Holmes)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-26

Ukraine has been holding Russian journalists for at least 2 years. From memory 6 or 7 people and refusing to release them.

not that it has anything to do with a matter at hand but shows Ukraine is not an innocent party but actively showing aggression towards Russia as well

18 minutes ago, BestB said:

Ukraine has been holding Russian journalists for at least 2 years. From memory 6 or 7 people and refusing to release them.

not that it has anything to do with a matter at hand but shows Ukraine is not an innocent party but actively showing aggression towards Russia as well

Russia seized The Crimea from Ukraine, supported fund separatist terrorist fighters and even have their own special forces operating in East Ukraine and have threatened countries they say are getting to close to NATO and the West.

And you think it's Ukraine being aggressive! Wouldn't you fight back in such circumstances?

How long ago was it Stalin murdered millions of Ukrainians with manufactured famines as punishment? Long history here.

Would that not depend on what they were being held for?

9 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Would that not depend on what they were being held for?

they are journalists, same could be said about sailors,ie armed navy personnel , do not you think?

they are journalists, same could be said about sailors,ie armed navy personnel , do not you think?

Exactly, if Ukrainian sailors were on shore leave raping Russian girls, Russian should execute them, after which they should burn in Hell.

And if the Russian “journalists” were involved in espionage for the Russian government, the Ukrainians should execute them, and return them to their homeland.

Do we agree?

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Exactly, if Ukrainian sailors were on shore leave raping Russian girls, Russian should execute them, after which they should burn in Hell.

And if the Russian “journalists” were involved in espionage for the Russian government, the Ukrainians should execute them, and return them to their homeland.

Do we agree?

So you saying Russian journalists were raping Ukranian girls?

Or you asserting every Russian in Ukraine is a spy?

So you saying Russian journalists were raping Ukranian girls?

Or you asserting every Russian in Ukraine is a spy?

I believe what I wrote was clear, and that you are either intentionally attempting to misrepresent what I said, or you are a fool.

If you are intentionally misrepresenting what I wrote, you should apologize and answer the question.

It you are indeed a fool, I will apologize and try to rephrase such that it might be more clear to you.

Okay?

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I believe what I wrote was clear, and that you are either intentionally attempting to misrepresent what I said, or you are a fool.

If you are intentionally misrepresenting what I wrote, you should apologize and answer the question.

It you are indeed a fool, I will apologize and try to rephrase such that it might be more clear to you.

Okay?

What you believe is entirely your choice. try expressing yourself properly to get a proper response.

As for your poor attempt at an insult, says more about you than about me

What you believe is entirely your choice. try expressing yourself properly to get a proper response.
As for your poor attempt at an insult, says more about you than about me

So you still want to pretend you don’t know what I said?

Incidentally, it was a joke, not an insult, don’t take yourself so seriously.

4 minutes ago, mogandave said:

So you still want to pretend you don’t know what I said?

Incidentally, it was a joke, not an insult, don’t take yourself so seriously.

When you ready or able to express yourself, let me know and will continue

Just make sure to have some evidence to back up your assertions

14 hours ago, BestB said:

Got a source for that? The only case I could find was this one:

"Kirill Vyshinsky was born in Dnipropetrovsk, Ukrainian SSR.[2] He received a Russian passport in 2015.[3] On 1 June 2018, after his arrest, he said in court: "I declare my withdrawal from my Ukrainian citizenship -- from this moment I consider myself only a citizen of Russia."[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirill_Vyshinsky

I kind of doubt that the Ukraine allows its citizens to unilaterally declare themselves to have replaced their Ukrainian citizenship with that of another nation.

13 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Got a source for that? The only case I could find was this one:

"Kirill Vyshinsky was born in Dnipropetrovsk, Ukrainian SSR.[2] He received a Russian passport in 2015.[3] On 1 June 2018, after his arrest, he said in court: "I declare my withdrawal from my Ukrainian citizenship -- from this moment I consider myself only a citizen of Russia."[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirill_Vyshinsky

I kind of doubt that the Ukraine allows its citizens to unilaterally declare themselves to have replaced their Ukrainian citizenship with that of another nation.

Putin demands release of Russian journalists arrested in Ukraine

http://tass.com/politics/1008938

kiril was charged and sentenced , while others just held, no news if or when they were freed 

38 minutes ago, Morch said:

Putin demands. TASS reporting. Too funny.

Oh yes i forgot, when source is not to your liking then it makes it less of a fact. Only main stream Western media get all the facts, all the rest are not credible enough. And of course you do not need to provide any proof to show otherwise, just make some smartarse remark and all is good.

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Putin demands release of Russian journalists arrested in Ukraine

http://tass.com/politics/1008938

kiril was charged and sentenced , while others just held, no news if or when they were freed 

The article you cited named only the journalist I already mentioned. And he doesn't get to decide he's Russian by renouncing his Ukrainian citizenship.

But your defense of Tass is well-founded. It's a hard hitting journalistic enterprise unafraid of challenging the powers that be in Russia and.... I can't go on.

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

The article you cited named only the journalist I already mentioned. And he doesn't get to decide he's Russian by renouncing his Ukrainian citizenship.

But your defense of Tass is well-founded. It's a hard hitting journalistic enterprise unafraid of challenging the powers that be in Russia and.... I can't go on.

NO it does not, it says journalist(S) others are not named.

I do not have a defense or need one, Ukraine did raid the station and did make arrests.

As i said, Kirril was judged and sentenced to 12 years from memory, other who were detained/arrested remain in Ukranian custody as no news been released ever since.

There was going to be a prisoner swap at some stage, but i have no idea what the outcome was

7 minutes ago, BestB said:

I do not have a defense or need one, Ukraine did raid the station and did make arrests.

As i said, Kirril was judged and sentenced to 12 years from memory, other who were detained/arrested remain in Ukranian custody as no news been released ever since.

There was going to be a prisoner swap at some stage, but i have no idea what the outcome was

I must say that so far your assertions haven't been backed up by reliable evidence.

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I must say that so far your assertions haven't been backed up by reliable evidence.

did you need photo's? i was asked to provide some evidence to my post which i did. You do not find ot acceptable, post something else to show otherwise instead of claiming "mine" not good enough for you

Lets see your reliable sources to show otherwise

Ukranian evidence in German court was so reliable that they conveniently forgot to notify Russians to attend the hearings and provide evidence.

Ohhh so very genuine.;)

28 minutes ago, BestB said:

No it just quotes Putin's claim about other journalists. Given that I haven't seen the names of these alleged journalists, why should I or anyone believe Putin's claim?

And your original claim that Kiril is Russian is somewhat suspect, is it not?

He's a Ukrainian, and yes, it looks like he is being wrongly imprisoned. But that's an internal matter. But if you think it is relevant, then the fate lots of Russian journalists have suffered in Russia should be relevant, too.

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

No it just quotes Putin's claim about other journalists. Given that I haven't seen the names of these alleged journalists, why should I or anyone believe Putin's claim?

And your original claim that Kiril is Russian is somewhat suspect, is it not?

He's a Ukrainian, and yes, it looks like he is being wrongly imprisoned. But that's an internal matter. But if you think it is relevant, then the fate lots of Russian journalists have suffered in Russia should be relevant, too.

So you believe office had only 1 staff member?and Putin just added the "s" for the sake of it?

On May 15, the Ukrainian Security Service carried out a large-scale operation against RIA Novosti Ukraine staff members, accusing them of high treason

Right below what Putin claims. 

You also seem to agree journalist  being wrongly imprisoned, but its internal matter, yet Ukranian armed forces held in Russia is not?

I never defended or mentioned anything about Russian journalists in Russia, would that be not internal matter and totally off topic?

9 minutes ago, BestB said:

So you believe office had only 1 staff member?and Putin just added the "s" for the sake of it?

On May 15, the Ukrainian Security Service carried out a large-scale operation against RIA Novosti Ukraine staff members, accusing them of high treason

Right below what Putin claims. 

You also seem to agree journalist  being wrongly imprisoned, but its internal matter, yet Ukranian armed forces held in Russia is not?

I never defended or mentioned anything about Russian journalists in Russia, would that be not internal matter and totally off topic?

It's not a question of belief. The article only cited one journalist as actually being detained.

True, you never mentioned anything about Russian journalists in Russia, but you did allege that Russian journalists had been detained. And so far, the only name we have is if a Ukrainian who unilaterally renounced his Ukrainian citizenship after being given a Russian passport. Some Russian! Some evidence! In effect, Ukraine detained a Ukrainian citizen. So if that's relevant, then so is the case of Russian journalists being detained and/or beaten and murdered in Russia.

4 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

It's not a question of belief. The article only cited one journalist as actually being detained.

True, you never mentioned anything about Russian journalists in Russia, but you did allege that Russian journalists had been detained. And so far, the only name we have is if a Ukrainian who unilaterally renounced his Ukrainian citizenship after being given a Russian passport. Some Russian! Some evidence! In effect, Ukraine detained a Ukrainian citizen. So if that's relevant, then so is the case of Russian journalists being detained and/or beaten and murdered in Russia.

I can only post what i read and what i read is journalist"s" and staff member"s"

But even following your logic, he could  and most likely does hold dual nationality and can renounce one at any time he wishes.

Yes timing could have been different, but in the end its semantics

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Oh yes i forgot, when source is not to your liking then it makes it less of a fact. Only main stream Western media get all the facts, all the rest are not credible enough. And of course you do not need to provide any proof to show otherwise, just make some smartarse remark and all is good.

This isn't about "my" liking. TASS is a mouthpiece of the Russian government. It isn't free press. Rant about Western media all you like, but they aren't on the same level. I didn't make any concrete claims on your off topic deflection side issue, not up to me to substantiate it or support it. On top of this, some sources are acceptable on this forum, some aren't.

Archived