British climber dies on Everest as death toll of climbers in Nepal reaches 18

rooster59

In the past you would have to buy a climbing permit for USD 50'000 per person. Quite obviously the Nepalese changed quality to quantity and the latter might explain such avoidable deaths.

You think rich people are of a higher quality than the rest of us?

How about $100,000 a year for a driver license to cut down on traffic fatalities?

12 minutes ago, mogandave said:

You think rich people are of a higher quality than the rest of us?

How about $100,000 a year for a driver license to cut down on traffic fatalities?

No, that is not what I said. The Nepalese government is in for the money and as their tax base is close to zero - they resort to things like climbing permits.

I, for one, find it absolutely irresponsible to let unqualified climbers (I refer here to climbing qualifications and proven track of climbing record prior to run up to Everest). People do it for whatever reasons. In the past they left cash and lots of trash behind - today the trash remains as I doubt, that everyone on the photo shelled out USD 50'000.

And the rest of us might resort to stay in lower lands ........... because it makes more sense. Want an Everest experience? Imax has is with Ed Viesturs endeavours on 35mm, albeit 20 years old but the view is possibly still the same from the summit ????

No, that is not what I said. The Nepalese government is in for the money and as their tax base is close to zero - they resort to things like climbing permits.

I, for one, find it absolutely irresponsible to let unqualified climbers (I refer here to climbing qualifications and proven track of climbing record prior to run up to Everest). People do it for whatever reasons. In the past they left cash and lots of trash behind - today the trash remains as I doubt, that everyone on the photo shelled out USD 50'000.

And the rest of us might resort to stay in lower lands ........... because it makes more sense. Want an Everest experience? Imax has is with Ed Viesturs endeavours on 35mm, albeit 20 years old but the view is possibly still the same from the summit [emoji6]

What should the Nepalese government and people be in it for?

So if they determine someone is qualified and dies trying, would they then not have some liability?

Better to let everyone that wants to give it a shot

Archived