Villa meet Derby in playoff battle for 170 million pounds prize

rooster59

Villa meet Derby in playoff battle for 170 million pounds prize

By Simon Evans

800x800 (13).jpg

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Championship - Aston Villa v Derby County - Villa Park, Birmingham, Britain - April 28, 2018 Derby County's Tom Lawrence in action with Aston Villa's Jack Grealish Action Images/Andrew Couldridge

(Reuters) - Aston Villa face Derby County in the Championship playoff final on Monday with both clubs desperate for a return to the Premier League in a game billed as the richest in world football with at least 170 million pounds on the line.

Villa have been out of the top flight for three seasons while Derby have been stuck in the second tier of English football since relegation in 2008.

A 10-match winning streak during the run-in propelled Dean Smith's Villa side into the playoffs where they got past West Midlands rivals West Bromwich Albion.

"The key thing is momentum," said former Brentford manager Smith, who took over from Steve Bruce at Villa Park in October.

"I feel we have a lot of that going into it (the final), given our run towards the end of the season and our two dominant playoff games, We can take it into the final."

Derby produced a brilliant performance with a 4-2 win over Leeds United in their playoff second leg at Elland Road earning them a place at Wembley.

Derby manager Frank Lampard, the former Chelsea and England midfielder who is in his first season as a manager, believes his team are well suited for the high-pressure encounter.

"The 'cup' football feeling has been good for us. We’ve had to get results for a while now, going back to probably the QPR game (a 2-0 home win on April 22). We’ll need big game mentality on Monday," he said.

Lampard is up against his former club and international team mate John Terry, who is Smith's assistant at Villa.

PROUD HISTORIES

The two clubs have proud histories. Seven-times English champions Villa were European Cup winners in 1982, while Derby were twice English champions in the 1970s.

Champions Norwich City and runners-up Sheffield United have already secured promotion to the top flight and the rewards for Villa and Derby of joining them are eye-watering.

According to analysis from Deloitte’s Sports Business Group, promotion will bring an increase in revenue of at least 170 million pounds, rising to a minimum of 300 million if the playoff winners avoid relegation in their first season.

The 170 million includes 95 million pounds in revenue from playing in the Premier League in 2019/20, mostly from broadcast and commercial revenue, and a total of 75 million in parachute payments in 2020/21 and 2021/22 if they go straight down.

However, the 170 million rises to at least 300 million if they survive their first season in the top flight.

(Reporting by Simon Evans; Editing by Ken Ferris)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-26

2 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Come on Villa .

Hopefully i can find a stream.

Best chance will be a sports bar near you. If you don't have one and you are a big enough fan you might be able to buy a Sky Sports Day Pass online for 8.99 (about 360 baht) but never tried it in Thailand.

Thai TV might have it on but even they can't show a lot of stuff they used to these days!

UTV!

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

Best chance will be a sports bar near you. If you don't have one and you are a big enough fan you might be able to buy a Sky Sports Day Pass online for 8.99 (about 360 baht) but never tried it in Thailand.

Thai TV might have it on but even they can't show a lot of stuff they used to these days!

UTV!

I can get it on my IPTV, but 3 in the morning is a little too late for me, still smarting over Leeds not going up.????????????

Just now, vogie said:

I can get it on my IPTV, but 3 in the morning is a little too late for me, still smarting over Leeds not going up.????????????

It's 3pm UK, 9pm here. Perfik!

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

Well done Villa, it's great to see my team back where they belong.

Although a fair bit of the winnings will have to go to strengthening the team, there was a lot of potential shown at Wembley yesterday.

Quite a bit of that potential is currently on loan but hopefully the money can secure Mings and/or Tuanzebe and keep Jack Grealish. Another good team performance. McGinn's goal was literally a steal - brilliant - in some ways goal of the season.

Head and Shoulders should sponsor Villa next season. :cheesy:  UTV! 

Congrats villa.. thought on the day you were the better team and deserved the win. Derby just lacked that little touch of extra quality that so often wins games like this.. villa in the prem  so they should be they are a HUGE club   lets hope this team doesnt let the fans  down and 

Smith is a bloody good manager lets hope he has enuf in his tank to ride what, no doubts, will be a v v tuf season in the prem

Archived