House first meeting marred by protests and boos

rooster59

House first meeting marred by protests and boos

House.jpg

The first meeting of the House of Representatives was anything but smooth and orderly as it was marred by protests and boos from several MPs, who were apparently venting their pent-up frustration after being gagged for the past five years under the junta’s rule.

The first sign of disorder emerged when the House secretary-general, Mr. Sorasak Pienwech, read an order by the Constitutional Court temporarily suspending Future Forward party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit’s parliamentary membership over his media share ownership controversy. Thanathorn asked for permission to respond to the reading of the court’s order only to be rejected by Mr. Chai Chidchob, the senior-most MP, who assumed the role as the interim House speaker.

As Mr. Chai tried to explain to Thanathorn his status after the charter court’s ruling, Mr. Mongkolkit Sooksintharanont, leader of the Thai Civilized Party, loudly interjected urging the speaker to stop talking and allow the Future Forward party leader to make his statement.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/house-first-meeting-marred-by-protests-and-boos/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-05-26

I watched this (the video of it), and Thanathorn acquitted himself with dignity and poise. It was heartening to see how much applause and support he got from other MPs as he left the chamber. It gives me hope. It will not be so simple for Autocrats just to do as they will in the future (although they will still maintain the upper hand, of course).

Incidentally, what a shambles: first, Thanathorn is told he cannot join Paliament; then he is told, he can; then (finally) he was told he cannot join the first meeting and must leave the chamber.

I've seen four-year-olds organise their birthday parties better than this!

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

It's all a meaningless pantomime anyway, just a pretense of democracy and the people having a voice, it's not and they will make sure they don't have.

The so called election was held to silence international criticism of the coup not for the benefit of the hoi polloi.

The junta for all the strutting are very sensitive to criticism and are deeply hurt when looked down on.

They are like spoilt little children who mature adults will not allow to sit at the table during dinner since their manners are deficient.

The farce in progress is  their attempt to demonstrate that they are as civilized and mature as the international community would have them.

As we are witnessing , an epic fail.

Never know if there will be fist fights. But then again you got trained military A****** who got a free pass into the government house who would surely jump up and thump the anti junta ones, but from the sounds of it, things are off to a wonderful start. Poor Thanathorn. And with Chuan now the main guy in the lower house the Dems are surely going to ride with the Junta losing all face. Sad state of affairs, but I hope they turn their backs on the Junta, but the way I see it is that Chuan is one of those elite and his wife is a Khunying. One of the cronies that cannot hide his feathers.

As an outsider, I just look at this shear stupidity and think to myself W T F and just get on with what I am doing and have some control over. 

We all rant and rave, post meaningful or smart arse comments  - but all to no avail as nobody give a rats arse to what we think. 

The people are making their displeasure known. The junta, the army and Prayuth are universally despised within Thailand. Especially, by the youth. They have done nothing for this nation, or it's people, in the past five years. 

17 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The people are making their displeasure known. The junta, the army and Prayuth are universally despised within Thailand. Especially, by the youth. They have done nothing for this nation, or it's people, in the past five years. 

But unfortunately mai bpen rai rules.... 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

While I have immense sympathy with what you write, Spidermike007, the sad truth is that the sense of contempt you express is NOT 'universal' within Thailand: there are STILL quite a number of reactionary and fascist Thais who revel in what the powers you mention (and others) are doing and what they represent. I am surrounded by many of these dinosaurs at my work.

The saddest thing is that it is NOT the well qualified, 'educated' Thais who are generally standing up and fighting against rabid nationalism, faux-militarism and authoritarianism: the best educated, with Master's Degrees and Ph.D.s, are OFTEN the most disgraceful, unprincipled and gutless supporters of the Establishment. It is left to the poor and (as yet) unqualified students to voice their sense of injustice.

Why do the truly 'qualified' Ph.D.s and the like not protest, rise up and rebel?

Because they have printed in the very DNA of their selfishly 'educated' being: 'I'm all right, Jack. Kick the ladder away - and don't let other, rival, people climb up to the benefits I enjoy.'

It is galling to witness. The fascists (of whom there are still many in Thailand) have not left Thailand yet - not by a long way ...

2 hours ago, Eligius said:

I watched this (the video of it), and Thanathorn acquitted himself with dignity and poise. It was heartening to see how much applause and support he got from other MPs as he left the chamber. It gives me hope. It will not be so simple for Autocrats just to do as they will in the future (although they will still maintain the upper hand, of course).

Incidentally, what a shambles: first, Thanathorn is told he cannot join Paliament; then he is told, he can; then (finally) he was told he cannot join the first meeting and must leave the chamber.

The generals may have won the battle but, certainly, not the war - - - - - The most successful warfare in history in guerrilla warfare - where invisible soldiers hide among the people.

3 hours ago, Eligius said:

I can't wait to see the first one-on-one scuffles, mass brawls and artillery exchanges of empty booze bottle and/or rotten eggs. Finally we would have some quality programming to replace those utterly atrocious soap operas and game shows on prime time TV. And just in case some viewers missed the ruckus of the day, all stations should schedule re-runs at 11 pm and 8 am the following morning. It's very important that the general populace keep themselves informed about national politics, you know...

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

While I have immense sympathy with what you write, Spidermike007, the sad truth is that the sense of contempt you express is NOT 'universal' within Thailand: there are STILL quite a number of reactionary and fascist Thais who revel in what the powers you mention (and others) are doing and what they represent. I am surrounded by many of these dinosaurs at my work.

The vast bureaucracy paid and bought by the junta is likely to vote for their paymaster. It's the same all over the world and the very reason why governments and bureaucracies should be kept as lean as possible. Once they fatten out to the size they are in Thailand, there's no putting the genie back in the bottle without a large scale revolution.

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Still a lot of junta spoken after the free and fair election as parts of CM revote today over vote buying and count rigging????

Chiang Mai constituency 8 had a new by-election yesterday. From what I heard many were voting for Future Forward.

2 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Thanathorn has done a new interview for New Mandala on youtube called :-

Thailand Unsettled #7: Future Forward and Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit0

Just thought it was worth a mention.

Thank you for posting that "Link", it made me go check it out and then I saw this meeting on another video, between Thanathorn and the FCC. It is well worth a look to see what the powers that be are trying to demonize.

One day, this charming, well spoken and well educated man will be the PM of Thailand.

It's just a matter of time. But of course, I am probably dreaming........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZmlFs1YzRY

7 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Thank you for posting that "Link", it made me go check it out and then I saw this meeting on another video, between Thanathorn and the FCC. It is well worth a look to see what the powers that be are trying to demonize.

One day, this charming, well spoken and well educated man will be the PM of Thailand.

It's just a matter of time. But of course, I am probably dreaming........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZmlFs1YzRY

I think Thanathorn is probably above Thaksin by now on most hated by the junta list. He needs to be extra careful.

Archived