Who’s going to lose their job?

Who’s going to lose their job?

whos-going-to.jpg

The possibility of humans being defeated by an android does not only exist in the movie. Earlier this year, Ministry of Digital Economy and Society listed seven jobs that may not exist in the future because they will be replaced by technology. Let’s see which one is about to be oblivion soon.

Cashier

Human cashiers may eventually be replaced by self-checkout machine or online shopping platforms. People no longer need to go to stores because some e-marketplace now offers grocery delivery. Also, self-check technology does not require human cashiers at the counter. The anxiety over job loss in retail industry is evident when a rumor about Tesco Lotus’s layoff went viral on the social media in October last year. Tesco Lotus’s executives had to quickly dismiss that it was an old news in the UK in 2015.

Print journalist

With the popularity of e-readers, newspapers and publications in hard copies are pushed out of the market. People have developed a new habit of receiving news from social media. As advertisers spend more on online and spend less on print, many publications have to throw the towel. For example, Post Publishing Group stop printing Post Today business daily and M2F tabloid in March this year. The end of print publications has also made related businesses obsolete such as newsie and small book stores. 

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/whos-going-to-lose-their-job/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-05-26

So - what does a society do with all the excess human resources without jobs who therefore have little or no money and who therefore can no longer 'consume' the products offered by companies who replace humans with machines?  

When you cull the consumers, then who do you sell your products to?  Rich androids?

4 hours ago, connda said:

So - what does a society do with all the excess human resources without jobs who therefore have little or no money and who therefore can no longer 'consume' the products offered by companies who replace humans with machines?  

When you cull the consumers, then who do you sell your products to?  Rich androids?

Well put. 

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

I would not be very happy if human cashiers were replaced, as i would not be able to ogle the young totty on the checkouts at big C.

I'm sure the designers will be able to produce a cyborg which will look even hotter, and be programmed to wink back at you.

I am personally convinced that in the future androids will not only take over jobs but just take over humanity. We are in the process of creating a new race which will be able to reproduce and improve and become much more advanced beyond our imagination.
No pollution anymore. Space travel becomes easy, no food or oxygen necessary and time becomes relative..

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

The self-checkout machines are so easy to scam. So you have to police them. Defeats the purpose really. 

They usually have a person supervising a group of machines....a good example is Tops. I use machine there often as it’s quicker than waiting in line. 

7 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

The self-checkout machines are so easy to scam. So you have to police them. Defeats the purpose really. 

years ago every major supermarket chain in the uk introduced and manages to 'police' self-service checkouts without much difficulty. and anyway anticipated theft losses are built into their pricing strategy.

the concern i'd have is Tops scamming the customer as often price reductions, discounts and promotional offers are not programmed into the tills cashiers use - always check that the price they charge is the price advertised on the shelf. how much confidence do i have that the self service tills will have the correct price for goods? not much.

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

years ago every major supermarket chain in the uk introduced and manages to 'police' self-service checkouts without much difficulty. and anyway anticipated theft losses are built into their pricing strategy.

the concern i'd have is Tops scamming the customer as often price reductions, discounts and promotional offers are not programmed into the tills cashiers use - always check that the price they charge is the price advertised on the shelf. how much confidence do i have that the self service tills will have the correct price for goods? not much.

To worry about getting the "correct" advertised price at a grocery store in Thailand as a farang from a "rich" country is pointless. So what if you get overcharged a few baht? Anyone who has to worry about such a thing should be buying from the street vendors and markets. They have better quality anyway and it's fresher (picked earlier that day).  

With the development of advanced artificial intelligence and robotics it will be the case that less manufacturing and assembly will be undertaken overseas .... which has implications for developing countries in the future. I think maths and science will become increasingly important and the countries that focus on these skill sets will do well. 

Not a great future for a country with people who are great pointers, as a robot can do that just as well.

Producers need consumers to purchase their product, and consumers need an income to be consumers. 

The current economic paradigme will have to realign itself to the above reality if the equation is to balance,

A universal  basic income (UBI) is inevitable. Until then there will be transitional political and economic disruption .

Archived