DMS: Marijuana can only treat four diseases

rooster59

supawadee wangsri

801dca0bc4653fd89d9e6f58a90fa92f.jpg

BANGKOK, 25 May 2019(NNT) - The Director-General of the Department of Medical Services has emphasized that patients must only use medical marijuana according to the indications of the disease under the guidance of doctors. He also stressed that medical research suggests that marijuana can only be used to treat four groups of diseases, not all diseases and not as many as 39 diseases.

DMS Director General, Somsak Akkhasil has opened the second training course on the use of medical marijuana extracts by medical personnel. The participants consisted of 250 physicians, dentists and pharmacists who passed the knowledge testing criteria. They will be granted a certificate after the training. In 1-2 months, medical personnel under the DMS who completed the training will be able to prescribe medical marijuana to patients. In the future, there will be online training for medical personnel.

He disclosed that the extract from marijuana has medical benefits if used in appropriate proportions. Diseases with academic evidence supporting the effectiveness of the extract of marijuana as being useful in treatments, include cancer, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis with muscle contractions and neuropathic pain that fails to respond to any other method of treatment. However, marijuana extracts can lead to adverse effects so they must be used under a doctor’s directions for patients who need a precise amount of marijuana. Medical research has found that marijuana can only be used to treat four diseases. People who want to use medical marijuana can ask for advice at hospitals under the DMS and at seven cancer centers.

In the case of a patient being admitted to the emergency room after dropping hemp oil under the tongue in too large a quantity, the DMS Director General stated that marijuana has both advantages and disadvantages. The use of an excessive amount of marijuana will affect the body and the nervous system and cause resistance and addiction to the use of hemp oil because each person responds to hemp oil differently.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-05-26

53 minutes ago, Denim said:

They forgot boredom so that makes it 5.

:cheesy: ... yessir, particularly with their same-old claptrappin´ ...

I also heard from trusted source that cancer, epilepsy, and especially multiple sclerosis are about to go airborne (!) as we speak, so better stock up on the medicine a.s.a.p. ... 

Actually marijuana and its extracts( such as CBD oil) are also used to treat a large number of conditions, such as the side effects of chemotherapy, muscle spasms that result from spinal cord injury, HIV/AIDS treatment side-effects, some forms of arthritis pain, inflamatory bowel disease and insomnia. It has apparently also proved useful in end-of-life care. In other words, we are looking at a much wider range of conditions than the four specified by the good doctor.

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Medical research has found that marijuana can only be used to treat four diseases.

Really. Well helps with glaucoma, asthma, cronic pain etc. I guess they're getting their research from the same idiots who say vaping is more harmful than smoking. 

I stated this over a year ago:  Medical marijuana will be so regulated in this country as to essentially be useless as a treatment.  Notices the Ops by doctors who consistently say that its not effective and otherwise disparage cannabis-based medicines as well as cannabis itself - still an 'evil drug' according to these pundits.

However, the monied interests who wish to capitalize on the medical marijuana trend exploding in more liberal counties will be able to export their products to patients who are not encumbered by draconian anti-drug laws.

The medical marijuana legislation was never about easing the suffering of Thai citizens as most of these doctors and politicians in this Buddhist country believe that people suffer due to their own Karma and don't deserve palliative care.  Nope - this is about making an anointed class of businessmen a whole lot of money by granting licenses to produce cannabis based products primarily for export with a small amount for domestic consumption.  

To even use the word TREATMENT is a misnomer, you are not treating cancer or the others mentions, you are using it to alleviate symptoms and side effects.

Is this a mistake in translation or what??

1 hour ago, Proboscis said:

Actually marijuana and its extracts( such as CBD oil) are also used to treat a large number of conditions, such as the side effects of chemotherapy, muscle spasms that result from spinal cord injury, HIV/AIDS treatment side-effects, some forms of arthritis pain, inflamatory bowel disease and insomnia. It has apparently also proved useful in end-of-life care. In other words, we are looking at a much wider range of conditions than the four specified by the good doctor.

But you notice that Thailand is not going to recognize the research into other conditions.  The doctor has stated Thailand's policy: Only four conditions can be treated and then only under the strict supervision of a 'medical doctor' and only in strictly prescribed amounts - because marijuana is a dangerous drug with terrible side effect (how my generation lived beyond 25 years of age is beyond me).

Again - Thai doctors consider a patient's pain to be due to their own bad Karma.  They are reluctantly allow cannabinoids to be used for a handful of conditions while totally ignoring conditions such as arthritis.  The message is: "You must suffer due to your own bad Karma.  It's not a Thai doctor's duty to ease that suffering!"  And the Thai elite are on board with that policy.  

45 minutes ago, connda said:

Again - Thai doctors consider a patient's pain to be due to their own bad Karma.  They are reluctantly allow cannabinoids to be used for a handful of conditions while totally ignoring conditions such as arthritis.  The message is: "You must suffer due to your own bad Karma.  It's not a Thai doctor's duty to ease that suffering!"  And the Thai elite are on board with that policy.  

How very true. This antiquated, primitive, superstitious, backwoods attitude has no place in the modern world. I recently broke my hip and laid on my back for 4 days in the hospital begging for morphine to relieve some of the pain. They brought me paracetamol.

In the US, the top priority would be to relieve my pain by any means necessary.

1 minute ago, curtklay said:

How very true. This antiquated, primitive, superstitious, backwoods attitude has no place in the modern world. I recently broke my hip and laid on my back for 4 days in the hospital begging for morphine to relieve some of the pain. They brought me paracetamol.

In the US, the top priority would be to relieve my pain by any means necessary.

Public or private??

I know pain relief should be the gold standard, but perhaps it was a monetary issue??

He also stressed that medical research suggests that marijuana can only be used to treat four groups of diseases, not all diseases and not as many as 39 diseases.

The headline is a lie. Why?

I have written in this forum before that I only believe neurosurgeon Dr Sanjay Gupta (search his name on Youtube and add "Weed") : he explained in detail on CNN why he changed his mind  on marijuana and also that there is NO known case of death due to overdose of marijuana....and I hope it will be available when my health declines and I suffer from pain.

Guest Jerry787

BIG PHARMA shall have paid big money for have such non sense and scientifically unproven statement repeated twice everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Jerry787 said:

BIG PHARMA shall have paid big money for have such non sense and scientifically unproven statement repeated twice everywhere.

One has to question the qualifications and research abilities of those making these ill considered statements, and even more so the research capabilities of the journalists publishing them, for not printing researched facts on the matter. Investigative journalism seems to be a thing of the past

21 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

I have had MS for years. When I have spoken Doctors here about it. They doubt that it exists here in Thailand.

Are you saying that Drs say no MS in Thailand?

A retrospective study of multiple sclerosis in Siriraj Hospital, Bankok, Thailand.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To determine the demographic and clinical data of Thai multiple sclerosis (MS) patients.

METHODS:

A retrospective study of 72 patients attending the MS clinic at Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Thailand between January 1997 and June 2004.

RESULTS:

Fifty-eight patients (81%) were classified as clinically definite MS, 5 (7%) as Devic's syndrome, and 9 (13%) as possible MS. There were 62 females (86%) and 10 males (14%). Age at onset was 33 +/- 12 years with a mean relapse rate of 1.2 +/- 1.0 attacks per annum. None had a family history of MS. Visual impairment (53%) was the most common manifestation. Only 16% had classic (western) form of MS. Positive oligoclonal bands were found in 21%, visual evoked potentials with a typical delayed latency in 28%. MRI brain lesions compatible with McDonald's criteria were seen in only 24%, and spinal MRI brain longer than 2 vertebral bodies in 62%. The mean Kurtzke's Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) was 3.0.

CONCLUSIONS:

Thai MS patients had much more female occurrence, no family history, common optico-spinal form, long spinal MRI lesions and low positive CSF oligoclonal bands.

he first autopsy proven case of multiple sclerosis in a Thai patient was reported in 1970. To-date, there has been no community-based epidemiological study of the disease in Thailand, but the prevalence rate was estimated to be about 2 per 100,000 population.
he first autopsy proven case of multiple sclerosis in a Thai patient was reported in 1970. To-date, there has been no community-based epidemiological study of the disease in Thailand, but the prevalence rate was estimated to be about 2 per 100,000 population.

56 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Are you saying that Drs say no MS in Thailand?

Sorry sorry I said that wrong.

Doctors here don’t seem to think there is much MS in Thailand.

Please understand that not just Thailand. 

Doctors do know of MS but not many understand MS.

7 hours ago, connda said:

The message is: "You must suffer due to your own bad Karma.  It's not a Thai doctor's duty to ease that suffering!"  And the Thai elite are on board with that policy.  

Yep,

Onboard with that policy until it is one of them suffering from an illness that could be treated by CBD oil. I bet they will be quick off the mark then to look after themselves!

Let's cut through the crap. Most people don't care about the medicinal value of CBDs and ite derivatives.... They just want to get stoned. Thailand used to export the best weed in the world in the 1970's. The Buddha sticks in Oz were the gold standard.

Just legalise it and watch violence drop and tourism boom.

Let's cut through the crap. Most people don't care about the medicinal value of CBDs and ite derivatives.... They just want to get stoned. Thailand used to export the best weed in the world in the 1970's. The Buddha sticks in Oz were the gold standard.
Just legalise it and watch violence drop and tourism boom.

Is that your experience of cannabis oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived