buying a new iphone 6s

riclag

Going back to the states,hopefully for the last time. I want to buy a new 6s(size is important) . I have been contemplating buying it here! But something tells me the USA claim of new is more trustworthy than Thailand Iphone shops

I needed a replacement for my iPhone 5. checked out the prices here and compared to prices in the UK for new and refurbished 6 models, mainly on Amazon. UK turns out be quite a bit cheaper for both and with a one year guarantee.  I came to the conclusion that I don't have enough trust in what I would be getting here, and to buy in the UK. 

7 minutes ago, JimmyTheMook said:

4 year old phone ?

Consider an iPhone 8 then as will not be so outdated in the next couple of years.

It very much depends on what you use an iphone for, for me, a 4 year old phone, fully refurbished, meets my needs. My ipad is a different matter for me, but the phone is little more than a device for calls, texts, LINE, Whatsapp and music.  Its not worth paying the extra to have the very latest; two or three models back is fine for me and reduces the cost considerably.  

1 minute ago, yogavnture said:

in the us u can get  a bargain on a 6s.  if u are here u can get a refurb or used on ebay with a 30 day guarantee so if its not good phone u can return it no problem

I would avoid any second hand electronic kit sourced in Thailand like the plague. Too many things can and do go wrong, including ending up with a phone that is still hard wired to the last owner, stolen or just impossible to unlock. A few friends have been caught out in just this way.  

29 minutes ago, mike787 said:

YES!!!  Trust your instincts.  Cell phones in developed countries are cheaper and designed to perform on a more advanced level than countries that have never herd of 5G.

Internet in Thailand is more advanced than the USA.

Where do you think the USA IPhone 6S is made?

6 hours ago, JimmyTheMook said:

4 year old phone ?

Consider an iPhone 8 then as will not be so outdated in the next couple of years.

Correct me if I'm wrong but a Iphone 8 is much bigger than a 6s which is a tad bigger than my 5s. I did mention in my OP, size is important! I like the fact it can fit into my front pants pocket

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I would avoid any second hand electronic kit sourced in Thailand like the plague. Too many things can and do go wrong, including ending up with a phone that is still hard wired to the last owner, stolen or just impossible to unlock. A few friends have been caught out in just this way.  

refurbished  is out of the question

1 hour ago, riclag said:

refurbished  is out of the question

and therein lies a problem.  In Thailand, unless you go to a high end dealer,  and even then it's not always guaranteed, you are just as likely to end up with a very smart looking refurbished phone as a new one. It does us well to remember that there are very few customer protection laws in Thailand and even the ones that do exist are hardly ever enforced.  

Correct me if I'm wrong but a Iphone 8 is much bigger than a 6s which is a tad bigger than my 5s. I did mention in my OP, size is important! I like the fact it can fit into my front pants pocket

The iPhone 8 is .2mm ( .0078” ) wider/taller/thicker that’s less than 8 thousandth of an inch and weighs 5 grams more !!

The size difference from a 5s to a 6s is much more !! 14.5 mm taller and 8.5 mm wider !!

Here’s a link if you want to compare the specs .

https://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobile-phones/iphone-8/24449/iphone-8-vs-iphone-6s-how-they-compare

Can you still buy a new 6S in the US?

Size wise, the 6 & 7 can use the same cover, and the 8 is almost the same size. If you want something smaller get the SE, about the same size as the 5

Wife has the X, it’s just a little bigger than the 6

I’m going to the US in a couple weeks, I’ll get the wife s new XS Max, my boy will move into her X and I’ll get the boy’s 7+

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/29/2019 at 2:25 PM, mogandave said:

New, not sure about the storage, I didn’t buy one as I already have a 6S+

I think it will be the 16 GB version, I have 64 GB 6S but I thought about equipping my family with 6S. This seems like a good price.

I bought a 6s in mbk about 18 months ago....lol,was actually looking for a second hand one but the woman pulled out a brand new sealed one and wanted 10,000 bht for it.

after questioning her and playing with the phone for about 40 minuits I bit the bullet and bought it.

3 months later back in England battery not lasting long which you wouldn’t expect it to it is a 3 year old model phone,and apple had a deal on replacing batteries on iPhone 6s for £20 so dropped the phone in apple store and went to pick it up 3 hours later ,the guy says sorry we can’t touch this phone it’s already been opened up by someone else????????????.

so I guess they are just refurbished from mbk however I just ordered a new battery of eBay and installed it myself ,phone still fine today and no other problems with it.

13 hours ago, taninthai said:

I bought a 6s in mbk about 18 months ago....lol,was actually looking for a second hand one but the woman pulled out a brand new sealed one and wanted 10,000 bht for it.

after questioning her and playing with the phone for about 40 minuits I bit the bullet and bought it.

3 months later back in England battery not lasting long which you wouldn’t expect it to it is a 3 year old model phone,and apple had a deal on replacing batteries on iPhone 6s for £20 so dropped the phone in apple store and went to pick it up 3 hours later ,the guy says sorry we can’t touch this phone it’s already been opened up by someone else????????????.

so I guess they are just refurbished from mbk however I just ordered a new battery of eBay and installed it myself ,phone still fine today and no other problems with it.

I've been to some local "markets" in BKK and I took the following price list, however, I have no idea what the Thai characters means: 

IMG_4550.JPG

No-one seems to have addressed the operating system upgrade issues. iOS13 (out next month) is not, I understand compatible with iPhone 6 (it is compatible with iPhone 6S). It seems logical therefore that the 6S will be obsolete from an iOS upgrade perspective in a year from now

https://www.theweek.co.uk/ios/100744/ios-13-WWDC-release-date-compatibility-iphone-ipad-beta-period-new-features-pados

I haven't upgraded from my iPhone 8 and probably won't unless/until Apple brings back Touch ID (rumoured to be 2020 or 2021 (or never))

6 hours ago, TerryClarke said:

I've been to some local "markets" in BKK and I took the following price list, however, I have no idea what the Thai characters means: 

IMG_4550.JPG

From my experience if you want a new iPhone only buy from official apple shops ,I think it’s pretty common practise that they are refurbing phones and repackaging/resealing the boxes.

the one I got from mbk was in a brand new box and sealed I broke the seal myself to open it.

i never buy new iPhones just way way overpriced,just buy older model,I would buy again from mbk,you just got to expect the phone will probably need a new battery but that goes for any 2 nd hand phone you buy.

Archived