International Driver Permit.

Just wondering if anyone has used a company called ITA to get an international Driving Permit online. I have checked the reviews and mostly good but there are a couple that say that they are fraudulent documents and don’t stand for anything if you get pulled over. 

They have a website

https://www.e-ita.org/

thanks

Richard70au

They use the words "International Driving Licence" in the text a lot even though the picture shows "Permit". As far as I know legally there is no such thing.

My understanding was that you had to have a IDP issued by your country so not sure how they can provide for any nationality as claimed.

https://internationaldrivingpermit.org/frequently-asked-questions/

See the last point here -

https://internationaldrivingpermit.org/how-to-apply/

2 hours ago, Richard70au said:

Just wondering if anyone has used a company called ITA to get an International Driving Permit online.

Always a controversial subject, I have always believed an IDP can only be issued by the country the driving licence was obtained in.

A home countries full driving licence could be considered an International licence by many countries that do not require the driving licence translated and being accompanied with an IDP if all the categorizes of vehicles you are entitled to drive are in English and has your photo on it.

Whatever country you wish to be able to drive in, information can be obtained from the countries embassy or the internet.

2 hours ago, Richard70au said:

Just wondering if anyone has used a company called ITA to get an international Driving Permit online. I have checked the reviews and mostly good but there are a couple that say that they are fraudulent documents and don’t stand for anything if you get pulled over.  

They have a website

thanks

Richard70au

Just a scam, they don't have any legal relevance.

On 5/26/2019 at 1:36 PM, Kwasaki said:

Always a controversial subject, I have always believed an IDP can only be issued by the country the driving licence was obtained in.

A home countries full driving licence could be considered an International licence by many countries that do not require the driving licence translated and being accompanied with an IDP if all the categorizes of vehicles you are entitled to drive are in English and has your photo on it.

Whatever country you wish to be able to drive in, information can be obtained from the countries embassy or the internet.

Whether or not IDP is required can be controversial, but the license issued by this company is easy: no legal validity.

58 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Whether or not IDP is required can be controversial, but the license issued by this company is easy: no legal validity.

IDPs are issued by the responsible government offices (motor traffic offices).

All else is rubbish which you might impress a local cop at a checkpoint (or not).

" Motorcycle & Scooter Endorsement Included "

" Print Yourself "

" Validity from 1-3 Years. Choose the Validity that Works Best for You. "

I know a company that gives you the 20 year license as a plastic card AND truck/trailer license included.

(and a bonehead German Thailand expat who made a youtube video proudly showing)

:cheesy::cheesy:

Nice way to make some money with a template and a PDF creator.

Scam as scam can be.

• 5 months later...

They are in violation of the US Federal Trade Commission truth-in-advertising laws.

"*** Guaranteed to Work in Thailand ***
Apply Now Online & Get it Today–
Less Than 12 Hour Processing (Usually Processed in 1-3 Hours)
Motorcycle & Scooter Endorsement Included
Affordable—Prices Starting at $24
Speak with Authorities & Local Rental Agencies with Confidence
Print Yourself for FREE or Choose 2-Day Shipping for $5"

*** I also contacted them directly to ask if I would have any issues using their IDP in Thailand, as I know that it is not issued by the AAA. They claimed that there will be no issue. ***

Yesterday, 2019/11/11, I was notified of a fine 10,000 baht or jail time for holding an E-ITA IDP as it is not legally recognized in Thailand.

False advertising, negligence. As a California-based company, they are in violation of the US Federal Trade Commission truth-in-advertising laws. Private litigation is justified, specifically under the Lanham Act.

Don't be a sucker to this deceptive and fraudulent company. And if you're in jail in some foreign country for their fake IDP, make sure to sue them when you're free.

23 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

A home countries full driving licence could be considered an International licence by many countries

One of these IS NOT Thailand.

There is a little legal jiggery-pokery on this subject which is never 100% clear due to the varying opinions on this matter.....

As I understand it... IF your domestic license meets with the requirements of the 1949 (Geneva) Convention, or the 1968 (Vienna) convention you don't need an IDP in Thailand, which seems strange to me. 

[Quote: An IDP is not required if the driver's domestic licence meets the requirements of the 1949 or 1968 convention; the domestic licence can be used directly in a foreign jurisdiction that is a party to that convention.]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

Thus: My understanding is, that if your home country issues a license in English, and if both your home country and the country in which you wish to drive are both signatories of the 1968 Vienna convention ones domestic license can be used directly. 

Thus: For those with a UK driving license an IDP is not required to drive in Thailand. 

Now, this may stir up some controversy and I'm not 100% sure my interpretation is correct, it would mean the IDP is somewhat obsolete unless you are from a non-signatory country. 

Personally - its best to get an IDP and then a local license as soon as you can. 

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

or the 1968 (Vienna) convention

I thought Thailand was not a signatory to this version? (not that it would probably make any difference...)

6 page thread here from last year if anybody is really bored.....

36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Personally - its best to get an IDP and then a local license as soon as you can.

Agree 100% :thumbsup: 

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is a little legal jiggery-pokery on this subject which is never 100% clear due to the varying opinions on this matter.....

Indeed the "little legal jiggery-pokery on this subject" is because most Thai police not all mine don't know the DL law, on 2 occasions many years ago 1 recent I stood my ground and the individual Thai police officers were educated.

On 5/26/2019 at 11:02 AM, Richard70au said:

They have a website

thanks

Richard70au

On the presumption that the OP may be Australian, here's the link to where to get an International Drivers Permit if you have an Australian driving license.

From that website, there's the following notice.

"Counterfeit IDPs are being offered for sale on the internet, usually at inflated prices. These forged IDPs are illegal and can get the holder into a great deal of difficulty with the traffic authorities in various countries. In Australia only the Australian Automobile Association, through the State and Territory Motoring Clubs, is authorised to issue IDPs.

Overseas companies cannot provide driving permits to Australian licence holders."

fake-internationaldriverspermit-196x300.png.beaac41e37e1103f029fe7cb74108605.png

On 11/12/2019 at 3:02 PM, wgdanson said:

A home countries full driving licence could be considered an International licence by many countries

One of these IS NOT Thailand.

Many foreign tourists and visitors can rent a car in Thailand using their own national full driving license.

If they're not tourists, otherwise domiciled mostly in Thailand or 'own' a vehicle here, they should either make the effort to either get a REAL IDP from the legally authorized issuer of such back home or get a Thai DL.

The law is one thing, but the local police (in Chiang Mai for example) are another thing. I’m in Chiang Mai right now and they have a whole network of police in the old town constantly targeting the farang tourists. I spoke to them and they genuinely don’t care the slightest if your licence is in English, they want an international diving permit, and if you don’t have one, then they want your money. 

Archived