Bangkok or Pattaya for low budget holiday

Bonobojt

I’m 27 Male solo traveler from England, I’ll be heading to Thailand for the 7th time for a 40 day holiday in July, though this year my budget is low, I’ll have around £2300 British pounds to spend on accommodation, food, drink etc .. as my budget is low I think the cheaper option is to stay in one place and chill for a month, I’m not sure where to chill, I love Bangkok but Pattaya is okay too, I want to have fun with the Thai girls but I’ll prefer a non hooker, I guess my budget is too low to be Banging prostitutes everyday. Don’t fancy Phuket, I am not a party guy but I do need nightlife, I want to meet girls, I like nature, cheap Thai food, I want to relax and chill, not sure if Bangkok is best or Pattaya .. what do you guys think ? 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Around 2,000 baht per day will be tight. Pattaya will be cheaper. You should be able to find rooms for 6 or 7 hundred a night or less, above the bars but have a look at some of the guest house type of accommodation who will have better priced monthly deals. As it is low season, prices should be lower and deals for "all sorts of things" can be found. Dont take out more money than you wish to spend at night as I know some get carried away after a few drinks and blow the budget. Nothing worse than struggling on the last part of a holiday in my opinion.

Pattaya - Look for monthly deals, email/chat whatever with the place and strike a deal, should be able to get around 6k or lower for a month. Food carts etc will keep food costs down, but no offence that budget for length of time is pretty tight. I would reduce it to 30 days so its not quite so tight but probably more enjoyable and you wont hit or have to deal with visa issues either.

Looks like I can get an Airbnb for 1 month for around £300 to £350 in Pattaya or Jomtein, maybe £400 in Bangkok, it’s 1 month stay so not illegal. I’ve already booked flights so has to be 40 days, maybe I over did it ..but I just want to stay in Thailand as long as possible, as mentioned I am not going to be drinking at bars really, not eating at expensive restaurants, I just want to chill, eat cheap food and meet women, preferably non sex workers. Pattaya has the beach and cheaper rooms and stuff, Bangkok has cheap food, more stuff to do and see, lots of girls to meet from dating apps, can’t do both if I’m staying Airbnb, I feel like Bangkok will be more fun as it’s easier to meet women, Pattaya is mainly for paying for sex and partying 

which I can’t do, but it’s possible to meet non sex workers in Pattaya, I’ve done it before..but it’s rare 

2 minutes ago, Bonobojt said:

Looks like I can get an Airbnb for 1 month for around £300 to £350 in Pattaya or Jomtein, maybe £400 in Bangkok, it’s 1 month stay so not illegal. I’ve already booked flights so has to be 40 days, maybe I over did it ..but I just want to stay in Thailand as long as possible, as mentioned I am not going to be drinking at bars really, not eating at expensive restaurants, I just want to chill, eat cheap food and meet women, preferably non sex workers. Pattaya has the beach and cheaper rooms and stuff, Bangkok has cheap food, more stuff to do and see, lots of girls to meet from dating apps, can’t do both if I’m staying Airbnb, I feel like Bangkok will be more fun as it’s easier to meet women, Pattaya is mainly for paying for sex and partying 

which I can’t do, but it’s possible to meet non sex workers in Pattaya, I’ve done it before..but it’s rare 

If you are leaning more to Bangkok now, post for some suggestions on a place to stay in the Bangkok forum for local input.

(dont post same topic, rename it etc)

Go to krabi pattaya is built around hookers, alcohol and pissing money... same for patong in phuket so go elsewhere.... try krabi or railay beach or parts of phuket outside patong.... you will have a small chance of finding any non working girls in pattaya with an interest in dating...

1 minute ago, losworld said:

Go to krabi pattaya is built around hookers, alcohol and pissing money... same for patong in phuket so go elsewhere.... try krabi or railay beach or parts of phuket outside patong.... you will have a small chance of finding any non working girls in pattaya with an interest in dating...

Rain season is normally worse in the south so that’s why I think it’s better to stay central like Bangkok or Pattaya, also I feel comfortable in Bangkok and Pattaya, I know what to expect, I know what fun I can have, if I book a months stay in Krabi and hate it then my holiday is ruined, yes that’s the disadvantage with Pattaya, it’s mostly hookers and bars, of course I can stay there and not participate in that stuff, and I have managed to get lucky twice (free sex) in Pattaya but your right it’s rare, won’t happen often. Anything can happen in Thailand, that’s what I’ve come to know over the years. 

1 minute ago, Bonobojt said:

Rain season is normally worse in the south so that’s why I think it’s better to stay central like Bangkok or Pattaya, also I feel comfortable in Bangkok and Pattaya, I know what to expect, I know what fun I can have, if I book a months stay in Krabi and hate it then my holiday is ruined, yes that’s the disadvantage with Pattaya, it’s mostly hookers and bars, of course I can stay there and not participate in that stuff, and I have managed to get lucky twice (free sex) in Pattaya but your right it’s rare, won’t happen often. Anything can happen in Thailand, that’s what I’ve come to know over the years. 

just do an airbnb for a month in bangkok plenty of them and head down to pattaya a couple times for a couple days... that would be my plan... you can meet better gals in bkok for sure...

19 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

If you are leaning more to Bangkok now, post for some suggestions on a place to stay in the Bangkok forum for local input.

I’m sort of leaning towards Bangkok, but Pattaya always has something attractive and addictive about it... men just seem to be drawn to it..but if I’m not drinking at bars and Banging hookers then what’s the point in staying there .. everything is about money over there.

Just now, losworld said:

just do an airbnb for a month in bangkok plenty of them and head down to pattaya a couple times for a couple days... that would be my plan... you can meet better gals in bkok for sure...  posters also need to differentiation between free sex and simply not paying hookers that don't protest...  be careful there are countless cases of guys short changing hookers thinking she didn't say anything so must be free... not saying it is your case but it happens all the time... 99 percent of the gals in pattaya met online will expect a stipend or donation....

31 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Agreed, if working girls are not your thing, you can do better in BKK. The only difference budgeting then is accommodation. Although some BKK venues may also charge more. Keep your food bill manageable by eating local food in mall foodcourts, still authentic, more hygienic than the streets. (And you can meet local ladies at the communal tables too).

If you're not into bars Pattaya does have other attractions, but you'll pay more to reach them as well, with taxis and grab being the only practical options.

In Pattaya, 'nice' girls have a hard time dating vacationers, for obvious reasons. All in all if you're newish to the country, and not into the p4p scene, Bangkok would be my call.

Neither ! If you want to be surrounded by other farangs, high price accommodation & rip offs, stay at a tourist region back home. Get out into the provinces & see the real Thailand. Much cheaper food, accommodation & "entertainment"

Dating app girls are hookers also, you really think you will meet a girl on line that will be happy to share noodles on somchais noodle stall? They would expect a half decent restaurant and more, and on 2,000 baht a day with having to pay for accommodation, you just aint gonna do it. Pattaya is far cheaper than BKK. Id spend a bit more on decent accommodation with wifi,pool and view as on your budget thats where you will be spending most of your time

17 hours ago, Bonobojt said:

I’m sort of leaning towards Bangkok, but Pattaya always has something attractive and addictive about it... men just seem to be drawn to it..but if I’m not drinking at bars and Banging hookers then what’s the point in staying there .. everything is about money over there.

What is there to do in BKK that there isn't in Pattaya?....you said you dont want bars or hookers...I've lived and worked in both places and find Pattaya has far more free attractions and things to do than BKK

10 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Neither ! If you want to be surrounded by other farangs, high price accommodation & rip offs, stay at a tourist region back home. Get out into the provinces & see the real Thailand. Much cheaper food, accommodation & "entertainment"

Thats a myth, food and drinks in Pattaya are just as cheap as in Nakon Nowhere....in fact sometimes cheaper as there is more competition. As there is far more accommodation available that will probably be cheaper or same price for better in Pattaya. BTW, the real Thailand is now mobile phones, KFC and 7/11s, the days of farmers on rot thai are long gone.

Personally, I'd go to Phuket. Plenty of cheap accommodation options, and more to see and do during the day without having to spend a fortune. And then you've got all the nightlife you could hope for as well.

16 minutes ago, Katipo said:

Personally, I'd go to Phuket. Plenty of cheap accommodation options, and more to see and do during the day without having to spend a fortune. And then you've got all the nightlife you could hope for as well.

Very true, cheap n plentiful flights from Bkk, good beaches and clean air and months rentals from 6k 

pattaya is cheaper than bangkok, for accomadation,drinks and ladies..its possible to eat very cheaply buying local foods {or in my case}, i buy vegetables from supermarket...i can easily feed myself for under 200thb per day..some hotels around soi buakhou area..do monthly rentals for approx 6,000thb.

so your budget is definitely possible, however, i find it hard to understand why anybody would travel so far, to then find that they need to holiday on a minimal budget,are you insured???

surely it would be better,in the future, to reduce your stay or wait until you have more funds..

whats the point in being a 'cheap charlie',while on holiday???

1 hour ago, Katipo said:

far more expensive than pattaya

2 hours ago, DingDongLing said:

You have been here 7 times and asking people who probably came once years ago?

well said...i think most of the 'anti pattaya " posters, have seldom, if ever, actually been to pattaya....

Between the two I would choose Pattaya as you can get cheaper accommodation for the month.  You also get a bit of a breeze coming off of the water which makes it a little cooler than the concrete jungle which is Bangkok.  The only downside is that Pattaya beach has the worse water so I wouldn't venture in.  Jomtien is nice but again I would stay out of the water.  

There are so many rooms for rent in bkk between 4000 and 5000 baht a month with aircon so that must be no problem . And then you can get your dates online your food in the streets . But as some say , if there is alcohol in play 9 out of 10 blow budget .

13 minutes ago, murraynz said:

well said...i think most of the 'anti pattaya " posters, have seldom, if ever, actually been to pattaya....

I am 'anti-pattaya', and was there a couple of weeks ago (generally end up there once a year for a variety of reasons). I never leave with any positive feelings towards it. It really doesn't have a lot going for it, unless cheap beer and women is the primary reason for your holiday. In this case, that might be OP's primary reason, an that's his choice.

If you want to do and sea more, Phuket does have some redeeming qualities. There is plenty to explore in the way of beaches, forested areas, and even old phuket town. If you avoid public transport, and instead rent a scooter for a month, you can see and do much for basically nothing. Pattaya on the other hand...? ????

Never makes sense to me.

If you only have low budget.......maybe......just maybe ya shouldn’t be taking 40 day holiday.

Someone must be spreading false rumors in UK that you can have a great time in Thailand with no money..

Comical.......absolutely comical

2325 BHAT / day

If you are 27 and going to Pattaya.......you can barely afford short time entertainment.

Wont you be drinking?  Eating?  Ohhhhhh and where will u be staying?

Get ready Boyz........I see a Go Fund Me......on the horizon.

”I came to Pattaya for 40 days, went broke on day 12..........can ya help a bloke get a ticket home?

Stay home for a few yrs, save your money........try again

Archived