Defamation

overherebc

12 hours ago, overherebc said:

The last person anyone should ask for legal advice is a lawyer.

Plus.

You don't know if I am asking for my benefit or if I'm asking because it was something we talked about and no-one was quite sure.

35 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Read post 24.

ummm... I can't decipher from post 24 what the OP hopes to achieve by posting the photo... 

18 hours ago, Sealbash said:

Realistically, What will an explanatory comment achieve?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

it magnifies even further... how deep the photographer's hole is that he is digging himself into!

- but then it'd be hard to read the words, through all that smoke

Maybe? consider the effect the knowledge of the photo's existence can have upon all concerned... Target, and Viewer alike!

image.jpeg.4ef2caacf80664baac2c86910d0d13d9.jpeg

14 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Your best bet for getting something done about this would be to make a complaint at your local Tessabaan (Council) office.

Avoid direct confrontation as he might get nasty, let the local Thai gov't deal with it.

Since burning plastic is an everyday event the local govt probably won't do anything either

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

ummm... I can't decipher from post 24 what the OP hopes to achieve by posting the photo... 

No desire to post anything.

Lokking for an answer, that's why it says True or False, or to make it easier Yes or No.

• Haha 1

I don't know if this is a good idea or not, or if it would be judged to violate the forum rules or not if you do it, but if you did post the picture you could make comments which I can't imagine would be judged defamatory.

E.g., "My neighbor does this daily and I think it is a great idea. I won't have to pay a garbage pickup fee by doing what he does and burning all my garbage outside.

Seems an excellent idea on his part. He uses gasoline to get a good blaze going, I think I will do that also as he's been doing it for a very long time successfully."

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, fhickson said:

What are this forums rules regarding disclosure of ip and other info in defamation inquries?

If the request is in the form of a court order, ThaiVisa will obviously comply. No forum rule is necessary for this.

On 5/28/2019 at 1:12 AM, whaleboneman said:

Why don't you have a chat with him and explain that burning plastic is dangerous for one's health. Tell him you want him to live long and healthy.

Not a good idea, especially not in thai culture. Let me put this in perspective for you. Go to someone who is smoking a cigarette in any country and tell them exactly what you wrote there. No matter how politely and sympathetically you do it, do they stop or blow smoke in your face? Pretty much only one outcome here and it's not good. Your heart is in the right place but the realities of the world are far different than the way you think.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2019 at 1:52 PM, jackdd said:

Afaik a picture alone is not defamation, but if you write anything negative this would be defamation.

But you always have the problem that this is Thailand. If your neighbour happens to have a police officer friend (or contributes to the police fund), the police may just charge you with defamation even if you just posted a picture, and then it can happen that you spend a while in jail while waiting for your court hearing even if the case is dismissed in the end. That this would happen is of course quite unlikely, but is posting a picture worth the risk?

There's the rub.

The general rule is "in any dispute between a Thai and a foreigner, the Thai is always *right.*"