Jump to content
BANGKOK 27 June 2019 03:52
JonnyReece

Driving BKK to Nong Khai

Recommended Posts

HI everyone,

 

Has anyone here ever done this and is it fairly straightforward?  Looking at the journey, it looks like main roads all the way but is there anything to watch out for?

 

I'd be doing it overnight so would welcome recommendations for a nice place to stop over half way up.

 

Cheers

 

jonny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Very Straightforward. BKK/Sariburi/Korat/Khon Kaen/Udon Thani/ Nong Khai. Allow  about 8 hours so do it in one just stopping for rest and fuel etc. Just Google BKK to Nong Khai.

Edited by geoffbezoz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Very Straightforward. BKK/Sariburi/Korat/Khon Kaen/Udon Thani/ Nong Khai. Allow  about 8 hours so do it in one just stopping for rest and fuel etc. Just Google BKK to Nong Khai.

Very reassuring, thanks Geoff

 

And if you were to stopover at any of those places, would you recommend one above the others?  Perhaps one more centrally / mid-way i.e. before Udon.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JonnyReece said:

Very reassuring, thanks Geoff

 

And if you were to stopover at any of those places, would you recommend one above the others?  Perhaps one more centrally / mid-way i.e. before Udon.

 

Cheers

Well never stopped myself but depends what time you stop I guess. You mentioned you were travelling through the night so guess late at night most places are closed. Korat is less than halfway whereas Khon Kaen is more than halfway if you were looking for any night out on the town. If I had to pick it would be Khon Kaen but others may differ. If you are just looking for somewhere to "get your head down " then there are many "resorts" all along the route, so just need to keep your eyes open.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing you should be worried about is tiredness. You need 100% concentration when driving in Thailand, but you know that already. If it were me, I would stop for a night in Khon Kaen, get a good night's sleep and something to eat then set off again in the morning after a decent breakfast. I've done a similar distance by motorbike, and stayed halfway in a guesthouse, and I'm still here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would avoid night driving. Leave Bangkok at 4 am, take the first 3 hours straight, then stop for a bit of breakfast and coffee just after 7 am. By that time you will be 300 km north of Bangkok and feel you are half way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Well never stopped myself but depends what time you stop I guess. You mentioned you were travelling through the night so guess late at night most places are closed. Korat is less than halfway whereas Khon Kaen is more than halfway if you were looking for any night out on the town. If I had to pick it would be Khon Kaen but others may differ. If you are just looking for somewhere to "get your head down " then there are many "resorts" all along the route, so just need to keep your eyes open.

Certainly more the latter, just getting my head down.  I'll be landing in BKK in the afternoon so I'm more just aligning to caution by avoiding travelling unfamiliar roads in the dark.  It sounds like Korat would make most sense before picking up the journey again the next day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JonnyReece said:

Certainly more the latter, just getting my head down.  I'll be landing in BKK in the afternoon so I'm more just aligning to caution by avoiding travelling unfamiliar roads in the dark.  It sounds like Korat would make most sense before picking up the journey again the next day.

Sounds like a good move as you are flying in.   Tell me as you are flying in why not fly from BKK to Udon Thani and pick up a car from there ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Sounds like a good move as you are flying in.   Tell me as you are flying in why not fly from BKK to Udon Thani and pick up a car from there ?

Mostly because I crave the adventure, flying is easy, this way I get to see some of the country before joining my family who will be in Nong Khai ahead of me. 

 

Additionally, we plan to drive back south over a few days, at the end of our trip too.  Does anyone have any recommendations for the best route south to see some history?  Am I correct that there are some Khmer ruins along the way somewhere?

 

Many thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In my home country, I always had a tendency to try and "power through" when I was super tired, just to get home and not have to pay for a hotel, but then again there are not as many maniacs on the road. In Thailand, I would start looking for somewhere to sleep at the first hint of tiredness, even in the last week I have seen some suicidal moves by Thai drivers. Don't end up as a statistic and remember that you are driving on some of the most dangerous roads in the world.

 

Take care of yourself, this forum could do with some new and friendly members. And Thai roads already have  millions of red stains, don't become another one!

Edited by SteveK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JonnyReece said:

Mostly because I crave the adventure, flying is easy, this way I get to see some of the country before joining my family who will be in Nong Khai ahead of me. 

 

Additionally, we plan to drive back south over a few days, at the end of our trip too.  Does anyone have any recommendations for the best route south to see some history?  Am I correct that there are some Khmer ruins along the way somewhere?

 

Many thanks

Never noticed any on that route . The only ruins I normally seeing are from car wrecks !! But seriously are you staying in Nong Khai ? or travellinging around ? If so why not travel to Loei/Lom Sak/Phitsanulok/BKK .  Lovely through the mountains nice places to stay almost everywhere. I find Phitsanulok boring but then I travel there often but the famous Wat by the river is a good place if that's your scene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SteveK said:

In my home country, I always had a tendency to try and "power through" when I was super tired, just to get home and not have to pay for a hotel, but then again there are not as many maniacs on the road. In Thailand, I would start looking for somewhere to sleep at the first hint of tiredness, even in the last week I have seen some suicidal moves by Thai drivers. Don't end up as a statistic and remember that you are driving on some of the most dangerous roads in the world.

 

Take care of yourself, this forum could do with some new and friendly members. And Thai roads already have  millions of red stains, don't become another one!

I've done a bit of driving in the Nong Khai, Udon areas and drove from the centre of BKK to Hua Hin last time so I have some experience, but for sure, that counts for nought against some of the idiots out there.

 

Slow and steady, stopping overnight should see me well but appreciate the warnings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Never noticed any on that route . The only ruins I normally seeing are from car wrecks !! But seriously are you staying in Nong Khai ? or travellinging around ? If so why not travel to Loei/Lom Sak/Phitsanulok/BKK .  Lovely through the mountains nice places to stay almost everywhere. I find Phitsanulok boring but then I travel there often but the famous Wat by the river is a good place if that's your scene.

I believe there might be some Khmer ruins called Phimai or similar.  Will investigate further.  Mountains could be a nice touch, Nong Khai is usually so flat, that would make a nice change.

 

Yes, staying in a village within Nong Khai for a few days.  It's where my wife's family are based.

 

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I would avoid night driving. Leave Bangkok at 4 am, take the first 3 hours straight, then stop for a bit of breakfast and coffee just after 7 am. By that time you will be 300 km north of Bangkok and feel you are half way.

Having done Bangkok to Chiang Mai both ways a few years apart, I'd agree fully.

We got caught out by the dusk in the mountainous section from Phrae going north after Songkran 

The amount of morons driving unlit trucks at dusk making them invisible and oncoming, is what you'd expect from their appalling death toll, lighting in towns we drove thru is also hit and miss. On the positive, we have noticed major highway infrastructure improvement in just three years since the first trip, and highway patrol were actually visible, and busting vast numbers of speeding morons at checkpoints using uploaded camera evidence from some distance down the road. But that was just after Songkran. 

Try to drive it in daylight if at all possible. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...