Driving BKK to Nong Khai

HI everyone,

Has anyone here ever done this and is it fairly straightforward?  Looking at the journey, it looks like main roads all the way but is there anything to watch out for?

I'd be doing it overnight so would welcome recommendations for a nice place to stop over half way up.

Cheers

jonny

20 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Very Straightforward. BKK/Sariburi/Korat/Khon Kaen/Udon Thani/ Nong Khai. Allow  about 8 hours so do it in one just stopping for rest and fuel etc. Just Google BKK to Nong Khai.

Very reassuring, thanks Geoff

And if you were to stopover at any of those places, would you recommend one above the others?  Perhaps one more centrally / mid-way i.e. before Udon.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, JonnyReece said:

Very reassuring, thanks Geoff

And if you were to stopover at any of those places, would you recommend one above the others?  Perhaps one more centrally / mid-way i.e. before Udon.

Cheers

Well never stopped myself but depends what time you stop I guess. You mentioned you were travelling through the night so guess late at night most places are closed. Korat is less than halfway whereas Khon Kaen is more than halfway if you were looking for any night out on the town. If I had to pick it would be Khon Kaen but others may differ. If you are just looking for somewhere to "get your head down " then there are many "resorts" all along the route, so just need to keep your eyes open.

The only thing you should be worried about is tiredness. You need 100% concentration when driving in Thailand, but you know that already. If it were me, I would stop for a night in Khon Kaen, get a good night's sleep and something to eat then set off again in the morning after a decent breakfast. I've done a similar distance by motorbike, and stayed halfway in a guesthouse, and I'm still here.

2 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Well never stopped myself but depends what time you stop I guess. You mentioned you were travelling through the night so guess late at night most places are closed. Korat is less than halfway whereas Khon Kaen is more than halfway if you were looking for any night out on the town. If I had to pick it would be Khon Kaen but others may differ. If you are just looking for somewhere to "get your head down " then there are many "resorts" all along the route, so just need to keep your eyes open.

Certainly more the latter, just getting my head down.  I'll be landing in BKK in the afternoon so I'm more just aligning to caution by avoiding travelling unfamiliar roads in the dark.  It sounds like Korat would make most sense before picking up the journey again the next day.

Certainly more the latter, just getting my head down.  I'll be landing in BKK in the afternoon so I'm more just aligning to caution by avoiding travelling unfamiliar roads in the dark.  It sounds like Korat would make most sense before picking up the journey again the next day.

Sounds like a good move as you are flying in.   Tell me as you are flying in why not fly from BKK to Udon Thani and pick up a car from there ?

3 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Sounds like a good move as you are flying in.   Tell me as you are flying in why not fly from BKK to Udon Thani and pick up a car from there ?

Mostly because I crave the adventure, flying is easy, this way I get to see some of the country before joining my family who will be in Nong Khai ahead of me. 

Additionally, we plan to drive back south over a few days, at the end of our trip too.  Does anyone have any recommendations for the best route south to see some history?  Am I correct that there are some Khmer ruins along the way somewhere?

Many thanks

In my home country, I always had a tendency to try and "power through" when I was super tired, just to get home and not have to pay for a hotel, but then again there are not as many maniacs on the road. In Thailand, I would start looking for somewhere to sleep at the first hint of tiredness, even in the last week I have seen some suicidal moves by Thai drivers. Don't end up as a statistic and remember that you are driving on some of the most dangerous roads in the world.

Take care of yourself, this forum could do with some new and friendly members. And Thai roads already have  millions of red stains, don't become another one!

Mostly because I crave the adventure, flying is easy, this way I get to see some of the country before joining my family who will be in Nong Khai ahead of me. 

Additionally, we plan to drive back south over a few days, at the end of our trip too.  Does anyone have any recommendations for the best route south to see some history?  Am I correct that there are some Khmer ruins along the way somewhere?

Many thanks

Never noticed any on that route . The only ruins I normally seeing are from car wrecks !! But seriously are you staying in Nong Khai ? or travellinging around ? If so why not travel to Loei/Lom Sak/Phitsanulok/BKK .  Lovely through the mountains nice places to stay almost everywhere. I find Phitsanulok boring but then I travel there often but the famous Wat by the river is a good place if that's your scene.

5 minutes ago, SteveK said:

In my home country, I always had a tendency to try and "power through" when I was super tired, just to get home and not have to pay for a hotel, but then again there are not as many maniacs on the road. In Thailand, I would start looking for somewhere to sleep at the first hint of tiredness, even in the last week I have seen some suicidal moves by Thai drivers. Don't end up as a statistic and remember that you are driving on some of the most dangerous roads in the world.

Take care of yourself, this forum could do with some new and friendly members. And Thai roads already have  millions of red stains, don't become another one!

I've done a bit of driving in the Nong Khai, Udon areas and drove from the centre of BKK to Hua Hin last time so I have some experience, but for sure, that counts for nought against some of the idiots out there.

Slow and steady, stopping overnight should see me well but appreciate the warnings.

2 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Never noticed any on that route . The only ruins I normally seeing are from car wrecks !! But seriously are you staying in Nong Khai ? or travellinging around ? If so why not travel to Loei/Lom Sak/Phitsanulok/BKK .  Lovely through the mountains nice places to stay almost everywhere. I find Phitsanulok boring but then I travel there often but the famous Wat by the river is a good place if that's your scene.

I believe there might be some Khmer ruins called Phimai or similar.  Will investigate further.  Mountains could be a nice touch, Nong Khai is usually so flat, that would make a nice change.

Yes, staying in a village within Nong Khai for a few days.  It's where my wife's family are based.

thanks

34 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I would avoid night driving. Leave Bangkok at 4 am, take the first 3 hours straight, then stop for a bit of breakfast and coffee just after 7 am. By that time you will be 300 km north of Bangkok and feel you are half way.

Having done Bangkok to Chiang Mai both ways a few years apart, I'd agree fully.

We got caught out by the dusk in the mountainous section from Phrae going north after Songkran 

The amount of morons driving unlit trucks at dusk making them invisible and oncoming, is what you'd expect from their appalling death toll, lighting in towns we drove thru is also hit and miss. On the positive, we have noticed major highway infrastructure improvement in just three years since the first trip, and highway patrol were actually visible, and busting vast numbers of speeding morons at checkpoints using uploaded camera evidence from some distance down the road. But that was just after Songkran. 

Try to drive it in daylight if at all possible. 

11 minutes ago, JonnyReece said:

I believe there might be some Khmer ruins called Phimai or similar.  Will investigate further.  Mountains could be a nice touch, Nong Khai is usually so flat, that would make a nice change.

Yes, staying in a village within Nong Khai for a few days.  It's where my wife's family are based.

thanks

Enjoy your trip and stay safe

29 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Keep moving sometime needed but it's still worth a 15 minute stop at a service centre or whatever, quick meal, coffee, snack stretch your legs, it does help a lot to refresh yourself and avoid sleeping at the wheel.

Be safe. 

Hi mate. @JonnyReece 

This is indeed quite a journey. 

You need to expect the unexpected and be alert at all times. 

Some things to expect and be aware off. 

Getting out of suvanapumi airport can be a bit troublesome. There are some huge and mind-bogglingly complecated junctions. Google maps is your friend. 

Some stereotypes to be aware of

Minivan drivers. Generally a menace no mirrors and stuck in fast lane. 

Modified pick ups. Thankfully they announce themselves with load exhausts black smoke and are covered in stickers. The more stickers the worse a driver they are. Expect road rage. Heavy unessesary braking, lots of under taking. 

Small cars. Driven by people who can't see into the mirror. Oblivious to all surrounding them. 

You need to expect cars to be coming the wrong way and motorbikes as well. It's normal. Don't freak out. 

Alot of drivers don't have a licence, don't expect them to know what you know. Generally Thai drivers don't let you pull out and will attempt the most dangerous over/undertaking moves to get I front of you. 

There is a huge construction site of an over head motorway north of Bangkok, expect sudden lane closures very rough Rd conditions in parts. 

After this overhead construction site finishes you will go up a massive hill. It's 5 or 6 lanes wide with dedicated truck lanes. When it's busy it can be trepidious. 

Don't go into central Korat (nakon) keep heading toward khon kaen. 

The Rd gets smaller here and can be a bit rough on the inside lane in places. Expect buses to be in the outside lane causing traffic to slow to their pace. There are a few towns and the Rd has traffic lights. 

Next to khon kaen. Traffic can snarl up quite badly and there are a few traffic lights to get past. There is a ring Rd but it doesn't start unto you are nearly in the center of town. Again google maps is your friend. Once you start heading uphill you are on the way to udon. 

This is normally quite quiet and sedate.. The Rd conditions are good. 

In udon there is a big construction project which may cause you delays. Again avoid the centre and take the ring Rd here. 

Udon to nong khai. Normally quiet and relaxed. Just keep driving and you will hit the river almost. 

Rst stops. Use the PTT petrol station. They are all high standard and sell coffee at a shop called amozan. All have a 7-11 or similar. 

Say dem  tang to get your fuel filled up. 

All in all its not so bad. It can be horrific, so be warned. Oh have 200bht folded up in the little space where you put your hand to close the door. If you do get stopped (road block) never a patrol car. It can be very useful to have a quick tip to get on your way. I have been stopped at night for speeding just after the overhead motorway. You won't be able to work out the hand signals they use. They don't have proof and I can't be bothered to argue as they will find away to give you a fine if that is what you want. But potentially as you will be alone they won't stop you as they can't talk to you. 

As someone else said. Don't drive tired. The Avani in KK is nice. 

Good luck

Shaemus 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2019 at 8:29 AM, JonnyReece said:

Many thanks

If you drive at night you will not see very much

I suggest you fly to khon kaen

Thai smile has many inexpensive flights

We do it all the time

Rent a car at the kkc airport and have a nice couple of hours drive to Nong Khai in the daytime

Plenty to see and IMO adventurous enough

An eight hour drive is a grind , and a bit dangerous IMO

If you want adventure how about the train? I always wanted to do that.

On 6/4/2019 at 2:34 AM, norfolkandchance said:

There is big temple in the Phimai Historical Park plus a museum in the town. Phimai Inn Hotel is on the outskirts of the town with a pool. Good bar by the clock tower in the centre.

This sounds interesting, thank you.  Phimai is the temple complex I was thinking about and definitely plan to visit.  

On 5/26/2019 at 2:36 PM, shaemus said:

Hi mate. @JonnyReece 

This is indeed quite a journey. 

You need to expect the unexpected and be alert at all times. 

Some things to expect and be aware off. 

Getting out of suvanapumi airport can be a bit troublesome. There are some huge and mind-bogglingly complecated junctions. Google maps is your friend. 

Some stereotypes to be aware of

Minivan drivers. Generally a menace no mirrors and stuck in fast lane. 

Modified pick ups. Thankfully they announce themselves with load exhausts black smoke and are covered in stickers. The more stickers the worse a driver they are. Expect road rage. Heavy unessesary braking, lots of under taking. 

Small cars. Driven by people who can't see into the mirror. Oblivious to all surrounding them. 

You need to expect cars to be coming the wrong way and motorbikes as well. It's normal. Don't freak out. 

Alot of drivers don't have a licence, don't expect them to know what you know. Generally Thai drivers don't let you pull out and will attempt the most dangerous over/undertaking moves to get I front of you. 

There is a huge construction site of an over head motorway north of Bangkok, expect sudden lane closures very rough Rd conditions in parts. 

After this overhead construction site finishes you will go up a massive hill. It's 5 or 6 lanes wide with dedicated truck lanes. When it's busy it can be trepidious. 

Don't go into central Korat (nakon) keep heading toward khon kaen. 

The Rd gets smaller here and can be a bit rough on the inside lane in places. Expect buses to be in the outside lane causing traffic to slow to their pace. There are a few towns and the Rd has traffic lights. 

Next to khon kaen. Traffic can snarl up quite badly and there are a few traffic lights to get past. There is a ring Rd but it doesn't start unto you are nearly in the center of town. Again google maps is your friend. Once you start heading uphill you are on the way to udon. 

This is normally quite quiet and sedate.. The Rd conditions are good. 

In udon there is a big construction project which may cause you delays. Again avoid the centre and take the ring Rd here. 

Udon to nong khai. Normally quiet and relaxed. Just keep driving and you will hit the river almost. 

Rst stops. Use the PTT petrol station. They are all high standard and sell coffee at a shop called amozan. All have a 7-11 or similar. 

Say dem  tang to get your fuel filled up. 

All in all its not so bad. It can be horrific, so be warned. Oh have 200bht folded up in the little space where you put your hand to close the door. If you do get stopped (road block) never a patrol car. It can be very useful to have a quick tip to get on your way. I have been stopped at night for speeding just after the overhead motorway. You won't be able to work out the hand signals they use. They don't have proof and I can't be bothered to argue as they will find away to give you a fine if that is what you want. But potentially as you will be alone they won't stop you as they can't talk to you. 

As someone else said. Don't drive tired. The Avani in KK is nice. 

Good luck

Shaemus 

@shaemus Appreciate the time taken to respond to this topic, thanks so much, very helpful.

jonny

12 hours ago, JonnyReece said:

@shaemus Appreciate the time taken to respond to this topic, thanks so much, very helpful.

jonny

Another poster gave you some very good advice which was to fly to Khonkaen, the drive is a battle and you will be exhausted afterwards. 

Khon Kaen to nong khai is very swdste and quiet. 

You can hire a car easily from the airport. Last time I did it took nearly an HR to get the car. I have gold status with Heart and normally they just throw you the keys. 

Good luck. 

And there are good few Khmer sites in and around isaan. There is  nice one in Buriram and a small one closeish to nong Song Hong. 

Not really close to the Rd you will be on. 

Shaemus

Nice to see a thread with common-sense advice and with helpful comments. Personally, I would not drive at night, these roads are a death trap, during the day with an early early start gives you more than enough time to complete this journey, it gives you the chance to see the road ahead and potential problems. I drive Pattaya - Nong Khai and always have an 0500-0600 start. Major road works en-route, as previously described. The advice on bypasses is good, avoid town centres where possible. The overpass/ underpass at Udon Thani is approaching completion, and traffic is moving well. If in NK, then a visit to Chiang Khan with an overnight stay is recommended, you will pass by the Skywalk, just past Sri Chiang Mai, again worth a visit.

Archived