Elderly Mom with Alzheimer's Forced to Leave Thailand

2 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Put the 800K in the bank for her- if you can't afford that then use a agent who will charge you around 20K - if you don't know any agents i'm sure there are people on here who will be happy to supply you one

Hope it all works out and good luck

Thank you! We would do that, but now immigration is saying that 400k has to stay in the bank account for the whole year! Moving my Mom in a year will be even more difficult with her condition, so all the plans are in motion to move her Tuesday. No one really knows how much more severe the changes will be. Better safe than sorry. ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Man Who Sold the World said:

BadSpottedDog:

You have my sympathy. Thank you for sharing you and your Moms situation.

Good Luck - may things work out well for you and yours.

Thank you! We do too. (I love your user name, BTW).

40 minutes ago, BadSpottedDog said:

But now we are so disheartened and disappointed that Thailand government is not appreciating nor recognizing what upstanding citizens bring to this beautiful country. 

She would be fine if she or you had money. But you don’t. So you are not really bringing much to the table and won’t really be viewed as upstanding, and i doubt you are are citizen.

i have the same plan if my mum goes the same way.

Maybe you could gofundme with a promise to pay everyone back when the money is no longer needed. People donate to complete dropkicks at that website so with your genuine story you might get a few takers. 800,000 isn’t a lot of money.

Good luck.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 9

18 minutes ago, BritTim said:

18 minutes ago, BritTim said:

This is a horrible situation, and it is really sad that you could not find a sympathetic senior immigration official who would work with you to find a solution. Frankly, this is one of those situations where skirting the law using agents seems to me a moral action. For around 20,000 baht a year, you can make all the immigration issues go away. There is a risk, but a small one if you choose the right agent.

The right agent ,  is the one that used to be an immigration officer.

With the passing of time, and age related problems,

Los  is not a good place to be, sympathy not have..

Edited by elliss
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, BadSpottedDog said:

What!? I think you missed some of this. We are paying EIGHTY SIX THOUSAND baht per MONTH for her care, plus meeting our own financial requirements for immigration. 86k per month is way way over the 65k requirement for her, but immigration does not recognize this because it is coming from us and not a foreign source. 

Where is your money coming from?

Earned in Thailand? Or from a foreign source? 

Mum is required to have 800,000 and doesn’t have it. If nobody you know will lend it to you, gofundme is your only option I can see. Arguing with immigration will get you nowhere. Money talks. The laws apply to everyone, they can’t bend them even for self declared “upstanding citizens”, that’s not how it works.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

30 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You have seen a different side of Thailand to me over the last few decades. Senior officials absolutely do bend the rules more or less often. Sometimes they do so for financial remuneration. Other times they do so because they are decent humans who want to help. Senior officials actually have the official power to waive some of the rules around extensions. I suspect the head official at the immigration office has discretion to accept the care home payments as proof of 65,000+ baht monthly income.

Yeah fair point.

But you need cash or to know the right people to get rules bent.

If the op had either she wouldn’t be asking here.

The money in the bank or income issue is red hot currently with immigration having cracked down very recently because so many people have been cheating the system for so long with “agents”.

Not a good time for her to be trying to get rules bent.

• Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

My Mom doesn't have Alzheimer's, though some dementia is showing.  Falls out of her wheelchair frequently, says she wants to kill herself, that sort of thing. Tough.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hope you can find what makes her happy. So sad to see our parents this way. ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BadSpottedDog said:

The care in her home country is horrid and unaffordable. It costs $10,000 USD and UP for a 24/7 Alzheimer's patient. And no .. the US government doesn't pay, and no insurance will cover her.
Since she has been in Thailand, she has been SO SO happy. Happier than she has been in many years, and she has not gone "downhill" at all.
So bringing her to Asia has been the best decision I have ever made. My point was that these changes are not well thought through and very short sighted. 

Again I demonstrate my stupidity. In Australia we have health cover that covers most things. Not sure about your mums situation. In any event seems your between rock and hard place. At very least she has caring family. Cheers

• Like 1