Elderly Mom with Alzheimer's Forced to Leave Thailand

23 minutes ago, BadSpottedDog said:

The care in her home country is horrid and unaffordable. It costs $10,000 USD and UP for a 24/7 Alzheimer's patient. And no .. the US government doesn't pay, and no insurance will cover her.

For 1.5 months at that rate, you can get her an Elite Visa for 500,000 baht.

Or you can go the visa agent route, pay a little graft and corruption and she's set.

The problem you're presenting is a shame.  It is.  But there are solutions, other than getting hacked off and heading for the USA.   

Just a hint, every day that you postpone getting on with a solution makes it that much more difficult.  And it's been many months since the changes were announced.  

Edited by impulse
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, JulieM said:

What are you talking about? Gofundme is not limited to emergencies. Gofundme is primarily used to raise money from friends and family in any situation requiring financial help. Strangers can give as well, and often do if the campaign gets media coverage. Since the OP is willing to share her mother's image, that goes a long way to establishing credibility.

Also, I agree with the comments that with the right visa agent, all of these problems will go away. 

I know exactly what Im talking about.

"It is estimated that there are approximately 44 million people worldwide living withAlzheimer's disease "

Really everyone of them can try go fund me? 

Thats not how it works.  the truth is she is well cared for with a wonderful family= zero chance of GFM

GFM works with young tourists with staggering medical bills and not old folk in their 80's with age related illness

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, the guest said:

It's sad the USA do not look after its own citizens, must be a terrible place to live.

Great place to live. Terrible place to get sick of you don’t have money or your insurance doesn’t cover the illness.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, madmen said:

I know exactly what Im talking about.

"It is estimated that there are approximately 44 million people worldwide living withAlzheimer's disease "

Really everyone of them can try go fund me? 

Thats not how it works.  the truth is she is well cared for with a wonderful family= zero chance of GFM

GFM works with young tourists with staggering medical bills and not old folk in their 80's with age related illness

I don't understand why to insist on this point? The OP has already exposed his story to the world, so he has nothing to lose at this point.

The fact there are so many people whose families been affected by it may actually increase the amount of potential sympathizers.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

Thank you! We would do that, but now immigration is saying that 400k has to stay in the bank account for the whole year! Moving my Mom in a year will be even more difficult with her condition, so all the plans are in motion to move her Tuesday. No one really knows how much more severe the changes will be. Better safe than sorry. ????

my friend had the disease.....he was in his early 70's and went back to the Uk to seek the best medical care he could. That was about 9 months ago

24 minutes ago, LongTang said:

I don't understand why to insist on this point? The OP has already exposed his story to the world, so he has nothing to lose at this point.

The fact there are so many people whose families been affected by it may actually increase the amount of potential sympathizers.

my mother died from the disease, she was 77, ok this was in England.

My Father and I could not cope with the situation and she was put into care home...lasted about 9 months in there before she passed away....

What happens to the thousands of similar patients in the US who don't have financial support from relatives, and can't travel to a foreign country to get the reasonably priced care their own government should provide?

Are they put out on the street?

Thailand can provide this care for these patients at reasonable cost, all that is required is they must meet Immigration's financial requirements to stay long term. No health checks required, just a relatively small "ticket" price for over 50s.  Very generous in my opinion.  

I think your anger would be better directed at your home country that fails to look after it's citizens when they are most in need. 

Someone mentioned Australia's health and care system. Try to bring a non-citizen with chronic medical issues into there for long term treatment. They make it very clear the taxpayer doesn't pay for other country's problems.

You have indicated you can get the care needed at a price you can afford in the Philippines. Good luck, I'm sure it will make little difference to her, and you can resume your time in LOS at a later time if desired.

My migration to Thailand was delayed for more than 5 years because of the need to provide assistance/care for my elderly mother.

23 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Unfortunately everyone has to satisfy the Immigration requirements no matter what their situation is

Put the 800K in the bank for her- if you can't afford that then use a agent who will charge you around 20K - if you don't know any agents i'm sure there are people on here who will be happy to supply you one

Hope it all works out and good luck

The trouble with using agents in this way means breaking the law. And there is a risk that this will catch up with you. Different if you are a person with no dependents and in full possession of all your faculties. But I can understand the poster who would not want to have her mother with fast disimproving Alzheimers being arrested by Immigration and spending months alone in prison awaiting deportation because she "broke" some rule or other.

For nearly all of us, no matter how long we are here, we get no more rights than if we were here on holiday. If we want PR, and get it, then things change.... but really, the public services offered by the Gov are not something I would want looking after my loved one.

My heart breaks for your Mother, but leaving Thailand is really the best thing for her. I wish her, and you, all the best.

I completely sympathise with the OP.

My Mum is still in her own home as my Sister and I swore to her we wouldn't put her into a care home.   She's had round the clock live in care now for 4 years at a cost of in excess of 165,000 baht a month.  

Getting old if you end up with Alzheimer's is hugely expensive.  

It is really sad to see the deterioration in the way that Farangs are now treated by Thai immigration personnel. Do they not realize that we spend much more daily than the average Asian tourist ? and the "You come here too many times already" attitude completely baffles me. Tourists spend money, and should be allowed in (as long as they do not have criminal records) as many times as they wish to come in and spend money ! What is the problem ???

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

The care in her home country is horrid and unaffordable. It costs $10,000 USD and UP for a 24/7 Alzheimer's patient. And no .. the US government doesn't pay, and no insurance will cover her.
Since she has been in Thailand, she has been SO SO happy. Happier than she has been in many years, and she has not gone "downhill" at all.
So bringing her to Asia has been the best decision I have ever made. My point was that these changes are not well thought through and very short sighted. 

why will Medicare not pay for this?

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, the guest said:

It's sad the USA do not look after its own citizens, must be a terrible place to live.

heartless American people continue to elect dispassionate politicians who are bought and sold by the insurance companies.  sadly America is not a great place to live or get old.  greatest county in the world, BS

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

This is a horrible situation, and it is really sad that you could not find a sympathetic senior immigration official who would work with you to find a solution. Frankly, this is one of those situations where skirting the law using agents seems to me a moral action. For around 20,000 baht a year, you can make all the immigration issues go away. There is a risk, but a small one if you choose the right agent.

Yes and there’s ways around the 400 k in the bank