Power Consumption estimate

thainet

Mr Crossy and other experts...hope you can help me on this one.

I have a project where I must estimate the power consumption, either on a hourly, monthly basis.

The person who is helping me is not familiar with Thailand and has asked for the following information.

"I need that you give me the data about the electrical net power in Thailand, one phase in Volt, three phase in Volt V, and frequency in Hertz"

The first two is where I could use your expertise.

Thank you in advance.

Thailand voltage is 22vac, 50 cycle but the varies depending on the area where you live,  mine right now is 233vac and sometimes is as high as 240vac,, but within the 10% + or - limit.  Three phase is 220vac, 50 cycle per phase..  Phase to phase is 380vac (I think, never actually measure it).

Thailand is 3-phase, 4-wire meaning that there's no seperate 3-phase supply. Those with 3-phase, 3-wire equipment just ignore the neutral connection.

Outside Bangkok it's nominally (sometimes very nominally) 220V Ph-N and 380V Ph-Ph, at least the 50Hz frequency is pretty constant.

If you have a load over about 50A per phase you will be looking at getting your own transformer anyway.

If you have a really large load (significant factory) you'll need to involve the local power distribution company to ensure the HV system can support the load.

Just now, Crossy said:

Outside Bangkok it's nominally (sometimes very nominally) 220V Ph-N

Our village, 220 kilometers north of Bangkok had a single  phase transformer for years and the voltage was always down around 200vac with frequent brown outs, below 160vac when the gravel pi, 0.5 kilometers down the road, used certain equipment and overloaded the HV system.  After Puyai's new inverter air conditioner ate a couple of control boards, PEA came and installed a three phase transformer.  I still had the brown outs until I had the local sparky climb the pole, my pole and ladder climbing days are over, and hook me up to a different phase.  Now the voltage is between 230vac and 240vac, without the constant brown outs,

235vac right now.

Gentlemen...thank you muchly for your replies. Appreciated.

Now I have to also figure out the 'horsepower'.  For some reason Thailand still asks for this. For my project I'm probably looking at 80-100hp.

1 HP is about 750W, so 100HP is 75kW. With 3ph thats 113A per phase, certainly into own transformer territory.

Can you give us an idea of the nature of the load? If the load is motors they will be wanting to determine start surges.

The plan calls for at least 3 heavy duty blowers, lots of water pumps (some on continuously and others on and off 24/365). Industrial ice machines, walk in coolers and of course the normal lighting etc.

So yes definitely will have our own transformer, and probably looking at max 200A per phase.

Thanks again for all your help.

Archived