Hard-fought wins in lower house point to tough times ahead for next govt

webfact

Hard-fought wins in lower house point to tough times ahead for next govt

By KAS CHANWANPEN 
THE NATION

b64d39f3b5c8aa3e07ec4da2aee9183f.jpeg

THE RESULTS of the weekend’s voting to fill the posts of speaker and deputy speaker of the lower house pointed to the pro-junta Phalang Pracharat Party taking a leading role in parliamentary politics, but its slender victory margins also signalled difficulties ahead for the administration.

The vote for speaker showed that Phalang Pracharat had won over the key undecided parties – Democrat and Bhumjaithai – and was poised to lead the coalition. 

But the next administration, which would need maximum votes in the lower house to move policies forward, could face hurdles at every step.

Though the lower house speaker and deputy speaker positions went to Phalang Pracharat-backed figures, giving it the upper hand in Parliament, the wins were narrow and indicated possible future swings.

Democrat Chuan Leekpai triumphed over Pheu Thai candidate Sompong Amornvivat by 23 votes (258-235). The figure suggests some defections in the anti-junta bloc.

But in the vote for the position of first deputy speaker, veteran politician Suchart Tancharoen defeated first-time MP Yaowalak Wongpraparat from the fledgling Future Forward Party by just two votes (248-246). 

The second deputy speaker’s post went to Supachai Phosu, who secured 256 votes against 239 for Seri Ruamthai candidate Prasong Buranapong. 

In such a tight situation, smaller parties that would back the Phalang Pracharat-led coalition are seen to have a significant leverage over the pro-junta party.

The Democrats and Bhumjaithai, who together have 103 MPs, look likely to gain a fair share of Cabinet portfolios.

The hiccup in the vote for speaker on Saturday could portend Phalang Pracharat’s fate in the lower house. 

Suchart reportedly was to run for speaker, but Phalang Pracharat had to nominate Chuan at the last minute, leading to some discontent among pro-junta MPs. 

Apparently, in a struggle to overcome internal disagreement, the pro-junta bloc motioned for postponement of the speaker’s election but failed when some pro-Suchart MPs voted against the move. 

Aside from such internal challenges, it was also observed that the pro-junta camp would face strong opposition from Pheu Thai and Future Forward.

The elections of all speakers was expected to be completed in a single day, but the process dragged out to two full days, partly because the rival blocs locked horns and neither was prepared to give way.

Pro tem speaker Chai Chidchob had to adjourn the meeting a couple of times when they refused to back down.

Starting from when Phalang Pracharat attempted to postpone the election of the house speaker on Saturday, the two blocs debated for nearly two hours before Chai called a break. 

Phalang Pracharat finally gave in and agreed that the chamber could vote to decide whether or not to defer the election.

The election on Saturday took more than eight hours and two other motions to elect the first and second deputy speakers were put off to yesterday.

Yesterday morning, Future Forward motioned for the candidates to give a “vision speech” before the vote, seeking to establish the credentials of its candidate, Yaowalak. But Chai, a highly experienced house speaker aligned with Phalang Pracharat, abruptly dismissed the proposal after the heated |atmosphere showed signs of worsening.

More wrangling followed, especially during the vote to choose the second deputy speaker. Pheu Thai MPs led by Cholnan Srikaew protested over ballots that bore an erroneous surname for the candidate. They also asked Chai to stop the referee from recording the vote count on video.

The MPs said the manner of the recording was suspicious and questioned whether the ballots had been marked to indicate the identities of the voters in order to secure “rewards” later on.

Chai disagreed with both motions despite heated debate and ordered the process to continue.

The elections yesterday also took more than eight hours.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30370031

thenation_logo.jpg

So the Democrats sold their soul for a Speaker's position while Bhumjaithai joined the devil to get some dope. The Speaker's job is to keep the MP's in line but this fella will lick Prayuth's arse and let him run rampant, while the rest of the government will be too stoned to give a <deleted> about the country.

3 hours ago, Reigntax said:

I can hear the tanks warming up their engines to persuade these damn opposition MPs to start voting correctly.

Your expectations are as high as they can be.  The coup and the army's cling to power has filled some very good Thais with rage and bitterness.  We can only hope that cha cha gets crucified for his cowardice everyday by the MP's that appose his bungling treachery..  Even the clairvoyants in Huai Kwang are probably hearing the roar and smell of diesel.  Thailand use to be such a great place.  

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

Your expectations are as high as they can be.  The coup and the army's cling to power has filled some very good Thais with rage and bitterness.  We can only hope that cha cha gets crucified for his cowardice everyday by the MP's that appose his bungling treachery..  Even the clairvoyants in Huai Kwang are probably hearing the roar and smell of diesel.  Thailand use to be such a great place.  

Sorry mate but politics aside nothing changed here and the politics almost have no bearing on our life as expats. I would have loved to see Prayut go but in reality it would not have mattered much for us expats. None of the parties will make life easier for us, if you look in the past all of them made it harder for us. Thaksin with the 90 day reports not the junta with the house registration. 

I won't mention the income requirements as that is still the same just that some loopholes have been closed that people could not swear to things anymore at some embassies while the rest who checked before still give out papers for their citizen. 

When I go out in Thailand I don't get bored with who is in power but with things that affect my life like bad traffic, bad utilities, dangers, availability of stuff, import taxes, the exchange rate. I think its the same for most expats. So for us expats I don't really see who is in power has anything to do with our happiness. Except for some people of course and they are entitled to that opinion just like I am to mine. 

5 hours ago, Reigntax said:

I can hear the tanks warming up their engines to persuade these damn opposition MPs to start voting correctly.

Not only the Chinese tanks but the 39 new armoured cars to be purchased from the USA!

Archived