BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Ideas in place to reverse decline in Thai education

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“Over the past few decades many countries have surpassed Thailand in terms of education quality. This trend is unacceptable,”

So why has it been accepted for the past few decades then?

37 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

The Thai education system is nothing but a farce to pretend it gives students an education. They have no knowledge of the world, history nor ability to think and analyse.

The average university graduate wouldnt pass a year 10 exam in a western high school.

True

True

True

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin

2 hours ago, dcnx said:

As long as they can’t freely speak their mind and are forced to kowtow and grovel, they won’t get anywhere.

Correct.......its the thai way or the hi way..

No matter how much money invested, defeating corruption, improving teaching and learning standards, as long as students are not required to learn from mistakes, aka No Fail policy, its all fruitless.

Went to parents day with niece on Sunday. Teacher banging on and on about the importance of learning English, the English teacher cannot speak a sentence! Rather like trying to teach somebody to drive when they can't drive themselves. So that's one innovation, employ teachers who know what they are doing, expecting Schools to teach kids how to think instead of what to think is never going to happen here.

As "Thai education" consists of sitting in a crowded classroom, learning whatever the teacher says by heart, so that it can be regurgitated for the exams, merely tinkering with the details is not going to make any difference.

It would need a whole new system, with competent and dedicated teachers prepared to allow discussion and questions in the classroom.

nobody is interested in properly educating children here. private schools are only interested in profits, public schools are not interested in anything at all, and some teachers from both are only interested in working for their tutor schools/classes. tutor schools form a big industry here because they are seen as essential to complement the inadequate curriculum. but why change things, right?

what about the sathit/demonstration schools? they've been around for decades and has well been recognized to have superior curricula over regular schools, yet the remain a novelty. when will the "demonstration" end and start the actual implementation.

If you want to improve performance in any field from manufacturing to refuse collection to education, measure the indicators and allow independent oversight.

No Thai government entity from the Police to the Commerce Ministry to the Ministry of Education from cabinet level down through departments and divisions allows anybody to measure indicators or oversee their work. This is because they are often lazy, incompetent and corrupt. This would be easily picked up by auditors.

The result is no oversight and no improvement. You don't need a fancy set of degrees to work this out.

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

One of our close family friends teaches at the Thai university regarded as the most prestigious. 

Mahidol University aside, none of Thai universities placed within the top 100 universities according to  Times Higher Education Asia University Rankings 2018. http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mahidol-thailands-top-university-thai-universities-fallen-asias-rankings/

Prestigious Thai universities on a global measure don't rank much better.

https://www.mastersportal.com/ranking-country/138/thailand.html

57 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Went to parents day with niece on Sunday. Teacher banging on and on about the importance of learning English, the English teacher cannot speak a sentence! Rather like trying to teach somebody to drive when they can't drive themselves. So that's one innovation, employ teachers who know what they are doing, expecting Schools to teach kids how to think instead of what to think is never going to happen here.

The first school the daughter attended was 30km away. Very clean and orderly. 10k a year, She was picked up at 16-00 but school finished for the younger children at 15-00. For that hour she would chat to her pals and play.

One day she brought home a letter (in Thai). Mrs Owl got quite excited. "What does the letter say dear?" "Mildred has been selected for extra English tuition - each day between 3 and 4 - and they are only charging 500 baht a month." I said we should look into it.

A couple of days later we went to the school for more info'. We were guided into an office where wais were exchanged with a couple of teachers. Mrs Owl had a 10 minute conversation (no idea what it was about) while I stood there like a lemon. I finally interjected. "Sorry to interrupt, but I want to meet the English teacher." The two ladies didn't understand this so the wife translated for them. After getting the answer the wife said to me; "they are the two teachers." I think Mildred could have taught them.

Her present school is closer, better, and has an Ozzy English teacher (daughter says she can understand him OK). 12k baht a year.

In related area, it wrenches my gut to see adverts on Thai TV promoting some milk or whatever with extra vitamins, or that essence of chicken crap that will somehow turn your kid into astronaut. Parents want the best for their kids, want to see them succeed. Teaching them to be curious about the world, to ask questions is a good step. But that will lead to them be labeled troublemakers at school.

Some rote learning may have had a place once upon a time decades ago. Now with net searches and world of info at finger tips, ability to ask useful questions, to think critically is essential.

I echo many of the comments here with regard to actual teaching of topics necessary for world life today. In addition I would add, as I said on other related threads, that teaching traditional Thai dance and related activities should be done as an extracurricular activity and not instead of necessary academic topics. I drove past a local infant school on their first day back at around 10:30 a.m. and the foreground was full of children and teachers doing just that.

The education system has to decide between teaching traditional topics and falling even further behind or seriously pursuing academic studies. I think it will be the former.

4 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

One of our close family friends teaches at the Thai university regarded as the most prestigious. 

She told us that one significant problem is that Thai schooling is not to educate but rather to socialize, where Thai kids learn their place in the social order and to make connections to the people among that social order. 

I think this is reflected in the Thai priority of social order and cohesion above almost all else. Thailand is effectively a Caste country, like India. 

The families who actually want their children educated (and who have the means) send them out of Thailand post haste. 

I wouldn't bother unless parents are happy to get their children's heads filled with the  "progressive" nonsense promulgated by the left-dominated academia of in countries like the UK and US.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Ideas in place to reverse decline in Thai education

Change the entire education board?
now there's a radical idea!

The problems in Thai education will not be easy to solve. 

Basically everybody has the same background as they all went through the Thai educational system. Nobody wants to rock the boat, nobody can think outside the box, they are all too proud to look at other countries or accept outside help, and they are rather rich and lazy than non-corrupt and tired.

Good luck solving this...

Till that time I will send my kids to private schools and will push them towards getting part of their education at their second country (my home country).