Surf’s up at Patong Beach

webfact

Surf’s up at Patong Beach

ebea5ddc4b5147420250a5b76d43b5aa.jpeg

The southwestern monsoon that hits Thailand's Andaman coastline this month is welcome news for the country's surfers, who will be out waxing their boards in anticipation of the surfing season that gets into full swing in May,  The Phuket Surf Fest 2019 will be held this year at Loma Park on Phuket’s Patong Beach from May 31 through June 2, 2019.

The ideal venue for 'endless summer' enthusiasts, this year’s Surf Fest features an expo, workshops on how to surf, a surf show by Thailand’s top national surfers, live music and more. For those not so keen to get wet there’s also a surfing photography workshop being organized by Canon and yoga-on-the-beach sessions.

All in all, the Surf Fest promises to be a great long weekend on the beach with plenty of activities on the sand and in the water. For more information, contact the TAT Phuket Office on Tel. 076-212213, 076-211036.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Travel_log/30369100

thenation_logo.jpg

What a joke. Thailand surf fest. I have surfed all my life. I have been in the surf industry as a professional all my life. I have lived in phuket in part for past 12 years.  Why phuket, because its close to indonesia where there are thousands of miles of epic surfing .But the 1 thing i have never bothered to do is surf in phuket. Not once in 12 years.

What a bunch of kooks

Silly tat

35 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

What a joke. Thailand surf fest. I have surfed all my life. I have been in the surf industry as a professional all my life. I have lived in phuket in part for past 12 years.  Why phuket, because its close to indonesia where there are thousands of miles of epic surfing .But the 1 thing i have never bothered to do is surf in phuket. Not once in 12 years.

What a bunch of kooks

Silly tat

Did you want TAT to promote Bali mate? Don,t get your criticism. It’s an event not a competition, as your in Phuket perhaps you could offer your expertise to the kids.

18 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

He was referring to the lack of decent surf....

...how can you teach when the waves are pathetic?

As I recall, the best surfing is where and when you can.

If that's Thailand, you surf Thailand.  Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to choose and afford surfing in a different country.  That doesn't mean they shouldn't learn to surf.

I'm glad to see them holding out an activity that doesn't involve getting drunk and chasing women.  It's a start.

32 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

He was referring to the lack of decent surf....

...how can you teach when the waves are pathetic?

He was knocking TAT not the waves, and for the beginners it’s not big surf they need anyway. As I suggested before it’s a festival event not a round of pro tour.

3 hours ago, quadperfect said:

What a bunch of kooks

Silly tat

Ok we get it you are a surf hero. Why not stay in Indonesia then, away from the beginners you despise so much.

3 hours ago, quadperfect said:

What a bunch of kooks

Silly tat

Where if not in Thailand should Thailand hold a surf fest?

he surf here might not be comparable to Indonesia or Hawaii, but there is an active surfing community here. And most of them are locals who will never be able to surf anywhere else. 

As a professional in the surf industry you seem to have forgotten what the spirit of surfing is all about...

4 hours ago, quadperfect said:

What a bunch of kooks

Silly tat

It sounds mainly like a class for beginners to get started in surfing.

With your vast experience I am sure you are aware Phuket provides just about perfect surf for beginners. Or do you want beginners being sliced up on reefs and unable to go out due to size? 

36 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

It sounds mainly like a class for beginners to get started in surfing.

With your vast experience I am sure you are aware Phuket provides just about perfect surf for beginners. Or do you want beginners being sliced up on reefs and unable to go out due to size? 

phuket does not provide just about perfect surf for beginners because it usually lacks shape / breaking characteristics amenable for beginners to learn to turn and develop riding skills.  too often due to strong incorrect wind direction it is "slop chop"  have to agree that indo does have numerous places that are better to learn (sandy bottom, forgiving reef, small size) as well as spots for others.

not all bad because fighting to paddle out and trying to get some quick rides in such conditions has a high exercise value. there is a small % of times when conditions are ok and some decent waves are found (non epic) but enjoyable without risking death (used to live on Oahu and surfed all over the world)

10 hours ago, quadperfect said:

What a bunch of kooks

Silly tat

I'm an Australian and have surfed since about 6/7 years old, I've lived and surfed on Phuket for 20+ years, all I can take away from reading a comment like yours is you really have FA idea about what surfing really means and the enjoyment that can be got from it, be it in small shore break, a big day at Margret river or any other wave around the world. A "kooks" a wannabe surfer with absolutely no idea, you come across as one.

9 hours ago, impulse said:

As I recall, the best surfing is where and when you can.

If that's Thailand, you surf Thailand.  Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to choose and afford surfing in a different country.  That doesn't mean they shouldn't learn to surf.

I'm glad to see them holding out an activity that doesn't involve getting drunk and chasing women.  It's a start.

Dude obviously you know nothing of surf culture. 

28 minutes ago, beechbum said:

I'm an Australian and have surfed since about 6/7 years old, I've lived and surfed on Phuket for 20+ years, all I can take away from reading a comment like yours is you really have FA idea about what surfing really means and the enjoyment that can be got from it, be it in small shore break, a big day at Margret river or any other wave around the world. A "kooks" a wannabe surfer with absolutely no idea, you come across as one.

Exactly why i said kooks. What i am is a old dude who has built well over 100,000  surfboards over a  40 year carrer and for some of the best surfers in the world  and i need not defend my virtue as a surfer. But thailand has nothing to offer any surfer. Of any age.  Thailand has many good things going for it. But surf is not one.

1 hour ago, quadperfect said:

Exactly why i said kooks. What i am is a old dude who has built well over 100,000  surfboards over a  40 year carrer and for some of the best surfers in the world  and i need not defend my virtue as a surfer. But thailand has nothing to offer any surfer. Of any age.  Thailand has many good things going for it. But surf is not one.

You have no idea what it's all about and obviously kids having fun in the surf and learning something new is for some reason in your <deleted> little world a bad thing.

As for shaping some boards and trying to big note yourself, couldn't care less, the surf industry's full to overflowing with self obsessed types full of their own importance.

What you are doing well is coming across as a bitter person that has NFI.

If you find the fact that people are having a surf related festival on Phuket and you for some reason need to put that down then maybe you'd be better off not visiting the island.

A video posted on Facebook showed filthy black water start gurgling up through the sands at Kalim Beach in Patong, Phuket. Within no time the water was a raging torrent heading for the sea that was washing away a large section of the beach as startled tourists looked on.  It was coming from a pipe that was previously not visible due to the sand. Posters reacted with horror at the latest pollution on Thai beaches - last week the sea at Na Jomtien in Pattaya was turned into a "Black Lagoon". Officials there put sandbags next to a drain as a stopgap measure. The latest video was posted by Bong Marquez who said in comments that officials had come to take water amples last night. The video was widely shared and commented upon. 

Hey Lets have a Surf Festival  !!  :biggrin:

3 hours ago, beechbum said:

You have no idea what it's all about and obviously kids having fun in the surf and learning something new is for some reason in your <deleted> little world a bad thing.

As for shaping some boards and trying to big note yourself, couldn't care less, the surf industry's full to overflowing with self obsessed types full of their own importance.

What you are doing well is coming across as a bitter person that has NFI.

If you find the fact that people are having a surf related festival on Phuket and you for some reason need to put that down then maybe you'd be better off not visiting the island.

surf in phuket is around but reality is it is quite limited, not to say it cant be fun or have exercise value.  i recall one time i was in phuket the morning of a so called surfing contest and barely any waves. i remarked to one of the farang organizers "not a good day for a surf contest" . he replied, "here its never a good day here for a surf contest" lol

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

surf in phuket is around but reality is it is quite limited, not to say it cant be fun or have exercise value.  i recall one time i was in phuket the morning of a so called surfing contest and barely any waves. i remarked to one of the farang organizers "not a good day for a surf contest" . he replied, "here its never a good day here for a surf contest" lol

A few years back they got very lucky at Kalim for the comp and had one of the biggest clean days seen in a long time.

Everyone knows it's not a surfing destination but for those of us that live here you take what you get, have some fun, I get a real kick out of seeing my 9 yr old getting small rides and having a great time, to me that's what surfing's all about, who gives a FF if it's not Bali or wherever, those that are after that should go there, sooner rather than later would be good.

To get online and criticise the fact that someone's putting on a surf festivals just ignorant and stupid.

8 hours ago, beechbum said:

A few years back they got very lucky at Kalim for the comp and had one of the biggest clean days seen in a long time.

Everyone knows it's not a surfing destination but for those of us that live here you take what you get, have some fun, I get a real kick out of seeing my 9 yr old getting small rides and having a great time, to me that's what surfing's all about, who gives a FF if it's not Bali or wherever, those that are after that should go there, sooner rather than later would be good.

To get online and criticise the fact that someone's putting on a surf festivals just ignorant and stupid.

surf festival meaning has evolved over the decades. more recently it is a marketing campaign to hopefully sell fashion and not actually about surfing.

kalim is my favorite spot but honestly staying in a hotel watching and waiting and burning money that when added up could have covered the flight to a consistent spot

19 hours ago, atyclb said:

surfs up

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 16.59.51.png

On 5/28/2019 at 8:58 AM, atyclb said:

surf festival meaning has evolved over the decades. more recently it is a marketing campaign to hopefully sell fashion and not actually about surfing.

kalim is my favorite spot but honestly staying in a hotel watching and waiting and burning money that when added up could have covered the flight to a consistent my

My point i guess is tat is so rediculouse and to promote surfing in phuket is same as promoting pataya as a family theme park.

Someones got to call a spade a spade and i felt i had the qualifications.

Right now i am in remote indonesia waiting for the next swell arriving in a few days .

In october i will be back in phuket doing another refit supporting the local economy and wishing the chinese would all go home

Archived