Pro-army party in Thailand to cement deal to keep junta leader as PM - lawmaker

webfact

53 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

Surprise, surprise, surprise. The party that got the most votes forms a coalition.

I am surprise that the rigging of laws, massive populist policies, pre-election campaigning, intimidation, buying over incumbent politicians and the junta PPRP still need a coalition to form the government. I would have thought the OTP cheating and 5 years of Prayut bringing happiness would have won the party a landslide akin to the TRT, PPP or the PTP in previous elections.   

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Are the headlines really a warning  to Future Forward and others ? I mean "cement a deal" could be a message, given as some people who opposed the Junta found recently in the Mekong with their bodies having concrete in them.

Is this a subliminal warning not to interfere in the Junta corrupt activities or the same could happen to them ?

Only thugs would do something like that.

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Good job.  Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha has done alot over the past 4 years with numerous projects being fast tracked and many in tender phase.

More infrustructure being constructed now than what has been done in the last ten years.

BTS extension, airport rail link, china-thai HSRP, DonMuang,BKK,Utopia HSRL, Northern Thailand Highway expansion, Phitsanulok-Indo China Multi highway upgrade.

Official statistics recently released by the Ministry of Finance of Thailand indicate that the Thai economy performed substantially better during the first quarter.

GDP growth in the first quarter of this year reached 4.8 percent, which is the highest in 5 years.  This has in part been fueled by a strong 6 percent rise in the export of goods and services as well as an increase in both private sector and public sector investment, registering 3.1 percent and 4 percent respectively. The Ministry of Commerce also announced that Thai exports grew by 11 percent, which is the highest rate in 7 years.

Various international institutions share the same positive outlook on Thailand. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has projected that the kingdom’s strong growth is expected to continue well into 2019. The Asian Development Bank (ADB) recently revised upwards its projected growth estimates for Thailand, the only country in Southeast Asia to receive this distinction.

Yes, Khun Prayuth has done a wonderful job, if he keeps it up, maybe he won't have to cheat at the next election.

15 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I am surprise that the rigging of laws, massive populist policies, pre-election campaigning, intimidation, buying over incumbent politicians and the junta PPRP still need a coalition to form the government. I would have thought the OTP cheating and 5 years of Prayut bringing happiness would have won the party a landslide akin to the TRT, PPP or the PTP in previous elections.   

250 Junta Appointed Senators doesn't hurt, without them they would be sucking wind right now, or rotting in jail where they should be.

The yellows have a huge unearned opportunity here.  If they go along with the disgraceful army, their eternal hatred will be assured, in and outside of Thailand.  If they work with the majority, they have a chance to be successful, rather than, divisive one day.   Democrats siding with a coup leader.  It just screams banana republic. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

would formally invite two other parties, the Democrats and Bhumjaithai, to join in a coalition government.

If the democrats join with the Junta then they've sold their soul to the devil and sold-out the voters.

They will never ever be able to call themselves democrats again!

Their following will go from the dismal result it was to zero.... hang their heads in shame... not likely! 

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Hard to believe anyone ever thought that the dems and BJP would not roll over to the military.

Hopefully this will be remembered by the Thai's in the future.

And as for Prayuth dealing with laughter and derision, don't be surprised to see a new "article 44" of some sort to ensure the men with the guns retain absolute power.

In which case there should be an en masse resignation from parliament. No point in them being there. However I don't see it happening.

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

So they saw they weren't going to win so they changed the rules after the election so the would win. Democracy junta style.

The changed plenty of rules before the election as well to get over the line. 

Gave themselves 250 automatic senators.

Got rid of Peu Thais partner who was running in different seats and couldn’t be replaced.

Made it so if Peu Thai  too many votes that they wouldn’t count as much as smaller parties.

People in Pattaya and other places said they were offered cash.

Charged the previous popular PM and then let her escape.

Went around “convincing” popular local figures to join them. eg the Khunplumes of Pattaya. Sontaya was appointed mayor before the election, even though they kicked out his brother previously. 

Locked up a lot of people who got out of line.

Disregarded/lost a million plus votes that didn’t go their way.

Somehow some seats had more votes than voters.

Threatened the media with a punch in the mouth and worse.

Didnt allow opposition parties to gather and organize until very late.

“Oversaw” and helped the voting of soldiers and other government workers on voting day.

Now they have used the courts to cause problems for that little upstart Thanatorn.

Gave seats to minor parties with very few votes.

With this huge effort they supposedly managed 87 seats out of 500.

Close enough. Declared themselves the winner. 

Delayed the revealing the results for two months.

A great win.

Sort of like jumping out of the blocks before the starters gun is fired, tripping over the other competitors, then still only coming fourth, then jumping up on the podium to claim the gold medal.

It is not how you play the game, but if you win or lose. 

47 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I would have thought the OTP cheating and 5 years of Prayut bringing happiness would have won the party a landslide akin to the TRT, PPP or the PTP in previous elections.   

There's a statement from el. An admittance I never expected to see. Needs framing at least

26 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

If the democrats join with the Junta then they've sold their soul to the devil and sold-out the voters.

They will never ever be able to call themselves democrats again!

Their following will go from the dismal result it was to zero.... hang their heads in shame... not likely! 

The fastest way for the Democrats to lose voters would be to support PTP. PTP's blatant criminality while in government was exposed time again by the Dems in opposition, how could they possibly sanction another.

19 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Sort of like jumping out of the blocks before the starters gun is fired, tripping over the other competitors, then still only coming fourth, then jumping up on the podium to claim the gold medal.

It is not how you play the game, but if you win or lose. 

A very shallow victory indeed.

1 hour ago, candide said:

1. Due to several various ways this election has been rigged, it not proven that they truely had more vote. It's just a question of faith or not in the puppet EC.

2. In the Thai system, as In other parliamentary systems, it's the party with most MPs who's supposed to form a government.

1/ A common statement by losers, it must be rigged.

2/ the NEW Thai system is designed to eradicate the first past the post, winner takes all system, and to make every vote count. The party with the highest number of votes has just as much right to form a government, if it can, as the party with the most MPs. It should be no surprise that some parties do not want to be associated with PTP given their history of blatant corruption and mismanagement.

BTW what do think caused the slump in GDP growth 2014/15? The junta were left with the task of cleaning up the mess of the rice scam, the result of a populist bribe to buy power.

23 minutes ago, baboon said:

In which case there should be an en masse resignation from parliament. No point in them being there. However I don't see it happening.

Not going to see en masse resignation but counting on the young progressives in Dem and BJT to cross the floor and vote against party line with the pro democracy MPs for crucial bills.  

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Not going to see en masse resignation but counting on the young progressives in Dem and BJT to cross the floor and vote against party line with the pro democracy MPs for crucial bills.  

Yes, that is quite likely to happen, as are rejections by smaller parties. Much more democratic and desirable then PTP's block solidarity, guaranteed by monthly payments. 

6 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

1/ A common statement by losers, it must be rigged.

2/ the NEW Thai system is designed to eradicate the first past the post, winner takes all system, and to make every vote count. The party with the highest number of votes has just as much right to form a government, if it can, as the party with the most MPs. It should be no surprise that some parties do not want to be associated with PTP given their history of blatant corruption and mismanagement.

BTW what do think caused the slump in GDP growth 2014/15? The junta were left with the task of cleaning up the mess of the rice scam, the result of a populist bribe to buy power.

1. So this election was not rigged and the EC is honest and not biased. There isn't any analyst that considers it not to be rigged. Even in the yellow ' The Nation' it has been largely displayed and discussed. Please show us a source stating that this election was clean and fair. 

2. The puppet senate gives a majority to Prayuth in any case. So the choice for future PPP allies was either to remain in the opposition or get some ministry seats by rallying PPP. There was absolutely no chance for the opposition to the Junta to get 375 votes.

3. The slump has been caused by The Junta. GDP forecasts published at the end of 2013 by the IMF, World Bank and BOT were predicting a 4 to 5% growth rate in 2014. The Junta made it close to zero.

4 hours ago, Lungstib said:

I dont see this as a total failure. It will be good to see Prayuth in this unfriendly environment, surrounded by old style politicians and having his views discussed and trashed. This will be a very uncomfortable exercise for him, questioned, laughed at and fighting for survival rather than being a total dictator. How long before he blows up?

I agree. Fun times ahead with him as PM. I give him 7 days before he throws his first tantrum. I do not believe he will last long, purely because he can't handle criticism. He will make the government look bad or will end up stressed out, and with no Section 44 magic wand is effed up from day one.

On top of that, if he starts making the government look bad, it will reflect badly on the military so they will want him out too, to be replaced by a general who can control his temper or someone else over whom they have total control.  

8 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

Yes, that is quite likely to happen, as are rejections by smaller parties. Much more democratic and desirable then PTP's block solidarity, guaranteed by monthly payments. 

Being steadfast and committed to a common cause against a rigged elected coalition of reward based partners is desirable as well as being accountable to their base. Very democratic.  

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

Oh .... good old democracy.  How the UK doing ,  oh but that's democracy.

How's Australia doing, almost technically in a recession , oh but that's democracy.   lol

If thats democracy, you can have it.

Agreed, being a submissive gimp is the best thing life has to offer!

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Good job.  Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha has done alot over the past 4 years with numerous projects being fast tracked and many in tender phase.

Now I understand why the national debt has been raising since he seized power. Those 'numerous' projects have not trickled down to the common people judging from the raising household debts and inequality at its worst. 

5 minutes ago, Okis said:

Agreed, being a submissive gimp is the best thing life has to offer!

submissive gimp ?  nonsense ..... 

how does Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha and the government affect your daily life in general ?  zero I expect.

How does the Junta or the government affect the daily life of a Thai person in general ?  zero I expect.  

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Now I understand why the national debt has been raising since he seized power. Those 'numerous' projects have not trickled down to the common people judging from the raising household debts and inequality at its worst. 

I hear ya on that one and don't disagree on some but these projects which did start and are in progress becuase of Khun Prayuth did provide alot of job opportunities I would expect and that accounts for some trickling down as they get a wage and they feed their family.

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I hear ya on that one and don't disagree on some but these projects which did start and are in progress becuase of Khun Prayuth did provide alot of job opportunities I would expect and that accounts for some trickling down as they get a wage and they feed their family.

I hope your positiveness for the infrastructure projects will not result in another real estate disaster. It can only be judged with respectable return on investment and companies committed to invest. Until then, I will hesitate to sing praises of the projects.  

TO STEVEN 100 Thailand's gross domestic product grew by 2.8 percent year-on-year in the first quarter of 2019, following a downwardly revised 3.6 percent expansion in the previous period and below market consensus of 3.0 percent. It was the weakest GDP growth rate since the fourth quarter 2014, as both private consumption and investment rose softer, and net external contributed negatively to GDP growth. For 2019, the NESDB revised its economic forecast to 3.3-3.8 percent from 3.5-4.5 percent in February. YES I DISAGREE STEVEN 100 BECAUSE YOU LIE so you disagree with the facts that Thailand's economy is doing better now than before Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha became PM.

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Oh .... good old democracy.  How the UK doing ,  oh but that's democracy.

How's Australia doing, almost technically in a recession , oh but that's democracy.   lol

If thats democracy, you can have it.

keep licking boots

The economy of Australia is a large mixed-market economy, with a GDP of A$1.69 trillion as of 2017. ... Despite the recent decline in the mining sector, the Australian economy has remained resilient and stable and has not experienced a recession since July 1991

9 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

keep licking boots

The economy of Australia is a large mixed-market economy, with a GDP of A$1.69 trillion as of 2017. ... Despite the recent decline in the mining sector, the Australian economy has remained resilient and stable and has not experienced a recession since July 1991

nonsense ......  read what I said .... why do you think the RBA are going to lower interest rates in the coming months  ??? huh  !   not because the economy is stable ..... that's for sure.

The Australian economy is stagnated ....  wages growth is non-existent.

but , you know better.

2 hours ago, candide said:

1. So this election was not rigged and the EC is honest and not biased. There isn't any analyst that considers it not to be rigged. Even in the yellow ' The Nation' it has been largely displayed and discussed. Please show us a source stating that this election was clean and fair. 

2. The puppet senate gives a majority to Prayuth in any case. So the choice for future PPP allies was either to remain in the opposition or get some ministry seats by rallying PPP. There was absolutely no chance for the opposition to the Junta to get 375 votes.

3. The slump has been caused by The Junta. GDP forecasts published at the end of 2013 by the IMF, World Bank and BOT were predicting a 4 to 5% growth rate in 2014. The Junta made it close to zero.

Will you at least try to get the acronyms right? PPP was successor to TRT and fore-runner to PTP, just another Thaksin proxy. The government about to be formed is based on PPRP.

It is my opinion that the election suffered no more rigging than usual, and at least wasn't won by an unworkable and hugely expensive populist bribe. It seems you don't wish to comment on the new scheme, or that the party with the highest number of votes has every right to try to form a government. Your supposition that the senate would appoint Prayuth PM without forming a majority government is just that, groundless supposition, and appears it will remain so.

Whatever your antipathy to the junta, those former military who are now MPs have been democratically elected, with the support of a large block of the populace that recognise that they did a good job of running the country, reducing corruption and stopping the political violence, and wish them to continue doing so. your views, and mine, are irrelevant.

Are you claiming that the cleanup of the rice scam had no effect on the Thai economy? 

Archived